300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Help identifying source of power steering fluid leak?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 06:06 PM

Help identifying source of power steering fluid leak?

Hello all. New Z owner here since October - 91 coupe NA manual.
I'm going thru trying to fix all the bugs, and i have a PS fluid leak in an area I cant really see.

I've checked FSM trying to find a diagram of the hydraulic lines, but i dont really see anything in the area where my leak is.
I've also read thru pages of posts after searching for "leak" and "steering leak" - again, not really anything helpful.
Cant really see in this area - even with a mirror.

There's a hard line that wraps from the back of the engine around to the driver side. At least thats where the majority of drips have come from. The source seems to be close to the Cam sensor solenoid - on the back of the engine. <br>
One other intersting note... recently we got down to -14*F so it was near zero in my garage. When it got that cold, it dumped a whole bunch of fluid onto the floor, so I'm guessing theres a bad seal or o-ring. I know it's PS ATF as it's red and the level in my PS Reservoir dropped (i just bled the PS system recently so i know it was full). I'm guessing it's HICAS related, but again i cant find any diagrams placing anything HICAS in this area. Anyone got a clue what might be leaking before i start pulling stuff off? <br>

Hard line location
Name:  Locationx_zpse693af45.jpg
Views: 3266
Size:  393.9 KB <br>
Here's where the drips are coming from.
Name:  Leakx_zpsd4620fb4.jpg
Views: 2026
Size:  323.9 KB
Old 12-31-2014, 09:47 AM

Ended up pulling the engine...

Big puddle on floor was oil from rear mail seal. Just coincidence that pwr steering fluid level had dropped. What threw me was oil is red - maybe Royal Purple?
Havent started taking things apart to find source of other leak yet. I'm guessing it's oil too. May be from one of the "plugs" on the rear of the head.
Garage is 10 degrees right now, so wont be doing anything any time soon!