300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

engine swap???i need help urgently guys....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 04:30 PM

engine swap???i need help urgently guys....

hey guys i recently purchased my 300zx....its got some issues but i dnt mind working on it overa long term basis.....anyways...as i took the car out fr a drive yesterday the radiator fan came apart and destroyed my radiator....and the pieces of the fan dented the hood of the car....the waterpump got ripped as welll...i have no idea how...but 3 of the turbines of the waterpump were bent out of shape....why wld that happen??
i also noticed that the oil dipstick was popping out.....i did some research....and it seems that it is because of the cranckase pressure building up.....i thot it may be the pcv valves but....i read in one of the articles that the car burns the oil and there would b white smoke coming out fr the exhaust....the car didnt do that it seemed to run fine...idling was fine....im nt sure wat it is.

i live in bahrain in the arabian gulf.....not a lotta ppl over here deal with the zx...and knw much about it.....since theres like only 3 of them here....one of the mechanics that do knw bout it...tld me that the piston rings were messed up and that it was pushing air into the crancase and therefore pushing up the dipstick....i asked him if it wld be the pcv valves he saiid it wasnt....he advised me to swap out the engine fr a used jdm one....since it wld be cheaper than takin the engine apart and figuring out the problem instead i cld get a used jdm engnie fr like 700 dollars(its a whole lot cheaper over here guys) i dnt knw wat to do really cuz i mean i knw the guy that had the car previously was a real dick and dint do any maintenance......he was running the car without a damn air filter.....soo yea it makes me wonder if i shld swap it out...

im srry im overloading u guys with a lotta shiit to read but i thot id tell u guys the most i can soo i can get the best advice from the pros......thanks in advance guys
Old 09-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by confusedalien22
hey guys i recently purchased my 300zx....its got some issues but i dnt mind working on it overa long term basis.....anyways...as i took the car out fr a drive yesterday the radiator fan came apart and destroyed my radiator....and the pieces of the fan dented the hood of the car....the waterpump got ripped as welll...i have no idea how...but 3 of the turbines of the waterpump were bent out of shape....why wld that happen??
i also noticed that the oil dipstick was popping out.....i did some research....and it seems that it is because of the cranckase pressure building up.....i thot it may be the pcv valves but....i read in one of the articles that the car burns the oil and there would b white smoke coming out fr the exhaust....the car didnt do that it seemed to run fine...idling was fine....im nt sure wat it is.

i live in bahrain in the arabian gulf.....not a lotta ppl over here deal with the zx...and knw much about it.....since theres like only 3 of them here....one of the mechanics that do knw bout it...tld me that the piston rings were messed up and that it was pushing air into the crancase and therefore pushing up the dipstick....i asked him if it wld be the pcv valves he saiid it wasnt....he advised me to swap out the engine fr a used jdm one....since it wld be cheaper than takin the engine apart and figuring out the problem instead i cld get a used jdm engnie fr like 700 dollars(its a whole lot cheaper over here guys) i dnt knw wat to do really cuz i mean i knw the guy that had the car previously was a real dick and dint do any maintenance......he was running the car without a damn air filter.....soo yea it makes me wonder if i shld swap it out...

im srry im overloading u guys with a lotta shiit to read but i thot id tell u guys the most i can soo i can get the best advice from the pros......thanks in advance guys

Your mechanic probably has little to no experience with z cars and probably mostly deals with mercedes and toyota.

I would order new PCV valves and Z1's silicone PCV hoses and replace them. If you want to make sure it's nothing internal (worn rings would create smoke and poor performance, not excessive pressure in the crank case)

The PCV valves use vacuum created by the motor to pull these crank case fumes out, when they are clogged the fumes build up and push the dipstick out.

As for a swap, you would be spending about a 1/3'rd more of your budget on buying a JDM motor you would pretty much end up rebuilding anyway, compared to rebuilding the motor that is in there.

Have them fix the cooling system and do a warm compression test with accurate tools and go from there.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:06 AM

well the thing is im nt sure how to go about.....the car does smoke but nt frm the exhaust....i think the brake master cylinder may be leaking sooo it drips out and is gettin burnt.....it may also be oil vapour comin out of the dipstick or something...
Old 09-11-2011, 05:41 AM

ohh yea also i remember hearing some bubling kinda sound comin frm like the engine bay...maybe the car overheated???okay now supposing i go head and decide to rebuild the tt engine wat stuff do i need to get??gasket kit??spark plugs 120k kit??with all the drive belts and pcv valves and pipes.

Last edited by confusedalien22; 09-11-2011 at 06:29 AM.