300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

dmv probs with rhd tt swap w/fnt clip

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 10:50 PM

dmv probs with rhd tt swap w/fnt clip

hello, new time user here. i just had a couple questions
hopefully i will get a response from someone who has done this

ok so i have a N-A 1990 z32 and im about to start on my project on converting it into a RHD tt with the help from a JDM front clip. my boss at my body shop i work at is whiling to help me out here so dont lecture me on the proper steps of installations and the "dont do its" and "dont waste your time on it" its a project after all... the only thing i ask is about will there be any DMV probs registering the car... cause it will no longer be a N/A but a TT. also the front clip will come with a new VIN on the dash and on my old PINK SLIP it has a different VIN. will i have to re-register it as a new car or how??????? and smogging it as a TT not N/A anymore will that have to be taken to a ref????? plz help me on this one thanks
Old 07-18-2011, 08:34 AM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver.

You shouldn't be worried about the DMV, you should be worried about the tech at the SMOG shop that will pass / fail your car. Unless that is the DMV (you never mentioned what state you are from). The DMV only cares about the inspection paperwork and money you bring them.

All cars 81-95 must pass the same smog / emissions test. Turbo or non-turbo, all cars must pass the same test.

As for the VIN, the car is still the same car... Take the vin plate off of your old dash and re-rivet it to the new dash.

Last edited by NismoPick; 07-18-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:38 PM

oh ok that puts my mind at ease.. now y should i worry bout the tech i mean sorry for my ignorance but i dont think that this is illegal, is it.... ask for the swap ive seen so many out there that i never realy wonder how they passed smog.... under table maybe?... like will the tech no that there was a na rather then a tt? and if he knows bout it can he fail me for swapping?
Old 08-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by 90z32
oh ok that puts my mind at ease.. now y should i worry bout the tech i mean sorry for my ignorance but i dont think that this is illegal, is it.... ask for the swap ive seen so many out there that i never realy wonder how they passed smog.... under table maybe?... like will the tech no that there was a na rather then a tt? and if he knows bout it can he fail me for swapping?
You need the VIN from the donor, then once it's completed you will need to take it to a smog ref and have it inspected and smoged there. the motor needs to be the same year or newer as the car and needs to be from the US and ALL of the emissions equipment needs to be there for that year motor and you will need the vacuum diagam on the hood to match it.

Don't be discouraged, but alot of the smog ref's will immediately flunk your car just for the aspect of it being RHD.