300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Buying that used Z32 that sort of scares you.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:32 PM

Buying that used Z32 that sort of scares you.

So, I'm interested in getting a Z32. Oh, right, yeah, I'm new here. I don't know if any of you saw my first post in the interiors forum, but regardless, it's great to know all of you. Anyways, right now I've got a deal on a twin turbo Z32 with 60,000 miles on it. But, there are two problems with it. The first problem is that it's an automatic. Should it matter? I'd like to think that shifting is the entire point of buying the car, because it's fun, right? Yeah, sure. But, then when you look at it, I'm a college student, and I commute back and forth to campus every day. It'd probably be a better idea to go with an automatic tranny, because it's just easier that way. Now, is there speed differences with the transmissions? I'd think that a manual transmission would provide more power to the car, having to do with shift points and such... But, couldn't chip programming just increase the rev limit and make it rev just as high as it would with a manual? Also, the car has no records of maintenence. The guy doesn't know if anything's been replaced, nothing. He does know that it's factory, but no history on the car as far as the engine goes. The engine bay seems to be clean, and the turbos work nicely. The only concern I've got is the fact that he's selling it for $4,000. The interior is mint, the car seems to be in perfect shape, but the price scares me. There's got to be something wrong with it, no?
Old 12-03-2006, 09:09 PM

Sounds like a great price

Take it to a mechanic...he can tell you if it has leaks, someone is coving something up, what if anything is broken etc. etc. Just let the mechanic know what it is you are looking for. I.E. Hey, this is a 60k mile car(or is it) and i am looking into buying it if it checks out alright. Run the codes, make sure you know what is worn out before you buy it.. cause Twin turbos are not cheap cars to fix when things go bad....Just off the top of my head...60k miles...z rated tires....will be on the 3rd pair soon , new plugs, brake pads, perhaps rotors, shocks are not cheap and they don't last forever, And then there is the 60k water pump/timing belt done at the shop is about 600-1000$. hope your A/C works if its just a charge with leakdown test 140$.

500$ tires
1000$ timing belt
200$ plugs, filter, oil change
80$ 4 wheel alignment

you never mention the year of the car...so i assume its an early year...1990 or 1991. This means it wont have all those pesky airbag sensor 10 year replacement issues. The blue book is pretty close to 4k on the early models....the 60k mile reading is nice and low...make sure you Carfax the vin to make sure its real. Other then that...have fun!
Old 12-04-2006, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Goofyz
Take it to a mechanic...he can tell you if it has leaks, someone is coving something up, what if anything is broken etc. etc. Just let the mechanic know what it is you are looking for. I.E. Hey, this is a 60k mile car(or is it) and i am looking into buying it if it checks out alright. Run the codes, make sure you know what is worn out before you buy it.. cause Twin turbos are not cheap cars to fix when things go bad....Just off the top of my head...60k miles...z rated tires....will be on the 3rd pair soon , new plugs, brake pads, perhaps rotors, shocks are not cheap and they don't last forever, And then there is the 60k water pump/timing belt done at the shop is about 600-1000$. hope your A/C works if its just a charge with leakdown test 140$.

500$ tires
1000$ timing belt
200$ plugs, filter, oil change
80$ 4 wheel alignment

you never mention the year of the car...so i assume its an early year...1990 or 1991. This means it wont have all those pesky airbag sensor 10 year replacement issues. The blue book is pretty close to 4k on the early models....the 60k mile reading is nice and low...make sure you Carfax the vin to make sure its real. Other then that...have fun!
Nah, man. It's a '96. Tires won't be a problem, I work at a mobile electronics shop and we sell rims and tires as a package, so it shouldn't be hard for me to get a hold of some nice gunmetal 5Zigens and perhaps Toyo Proxes tires, brand new. Now, the timing belt is an issue, as I thought. That's exactly what everyone says to me as soon as I say 300ZX. Timing, belt. What kind of mechanic would you suggest seeing for that? I'm fairly sure I don't want to bring it to my local Nissan dealership, because they'll rape me on the price. Any mechanic can do it? The plugs are easy enough, I can do that myself, as well as the oil change. But, I suppose the same mechanic would have to take care of the allignment?
Old 12-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Über User

plugs are more challangeing than you think actually... but you can do it. alignment anyone. teh T belt, someone who knows Z's. where do you live there might be a Z shop in your area.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:01 AM
caught the z fever

Originally Posted by VR4Gasm
Nah, man. It's a '96.
salvage title? have you driven it yet?

no mint TT is going to go for 4000 with 60k on it

do you live on campus? a Z is not a good car to have on campus. too many drunk, ignorant people around.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Über User

he said he commutes. but man.. i did alot of chicago rush hour driving time in my z32 manual. i had no probs... keeps me alert and havin fun. screw auto. and auto weighs more lower gearing so the gas milage will suffer some and tehy are slower then also you can launch. thats the down sides to auto;s. the upside is they shift quicker than most normal people do in a manual. but they shift lower RPMs
Old 12-04-2006, 10:36 AM
No Club Love

for that price i'd buy it, even if it breaks in a couple thousand miles, after you fix it i'm sure you'll get at least that much out of it, maybe double. If i could find a tt for that cheap it'd be a project for the race s130.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Taste My Rainbow

there has to be something wrong with it for a 96 w/60k on it that would put it closer to 9k+.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Über User

maybe its been rear ended at like 50 mph.. i could see it then. lol
Old 12-04-2006, 06:41 PM

Well, the fact is I was planning on keeping it stock. Right now, I drive a 2000 Ford F150 XLT, and I'm happy with it and all, but I'm not really one for trucks. I should get at least 10,000 for it, because it's only got 60k miles on it, plus it has 22" chrome MKW wheels, a fiberglass bed cover, it's the desireable shortbed version, carpeted bedliner, the interior of an Expedition, a custom front end, the 5.4 Liter V8, the 2WD layout, a K&N air filter, a Magnaflow exhaust, two 1000 watt amplifiers and one JL 10" W1 subwoofer buried beneath a custom stealth enclosure in the place of the rear seats, four Kenwood Excelon 6x9 coaxial door speakers, PIAA White headlights, and a whole bunch of other things I added to it like custom switchpanels, underdash neons, etc. A whole lot of ricy stuff I'd never put in the Z32, but I just like messing around. By the way, if any of you are interested in buying a truck like that, let me know. It's black, and it was formerly used by Kenwood as one of their four demo truck platforms. So, being that I should have that money all taken care of, I'd like to purchase a nice Z32, but at the same time I don't have the money to go spending on repairs. It's something to think about, really. What I'd love to do is buy one from a Z enthusiast, that I know took good care of it. But, most likely, Z enthusiasts like yourselves tend to hold onto their cars, as they'll only grow in value, no? Or, am I wrong about that? But, anyways, buying a cheap Z32 is something I'd only do if I wanted to keep both, which is something I doubt I can handle. Oh, and I live on Long Island, New York. I'm not sure if there's an specialty Z shops around here. I'd really love to go to Z1 performance, if I ever wanted to spend money.

Last edited by Fairly Z; 12-04-2006 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Über User

no car grows in value unless it becomes a classic

and ususally when we go threw inflation

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 12-04-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:52 AM
caught the z fever

some cars have gone up in value thru extra marketing...ie F&F, but it will probably still be a little while before the Zs value increases to the likes of supras and FDs

if youre looking to find a Z from an enthusiast, expect to spend more than KBB. a mint 96TT w/ 60k is likely to run you 15k+
Old 12-05-2006, 08:18 AM

But, that would mean that now is the time to buy, wouldn't it? If the Z is going to become as expensive as the Supra or the RX-7, that is. How long do you think it'll be until that happens? Generally, were Z's more expensive last year or less expensive?
Old 12-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Über User

BUT... ok i get increasing in value according to prior resale value.. .but i was going off of. going up in value as in over the original sticker value of the car. such as many muscle cars the toyota 2000gt. and PERFECT condition s30's some other rare cars like that im sure... well.. s30 isnt rare which is why you can get them cheap but ones in perfect condition can sell for soem damn good $$$ so i felt i should throw that in there.

and how do you come on a Z site name yourself VR4Gasm and then ask ifyou should get a Z or a VR4... lol... thats somewhat contradicting and yeah. its wierd is all.... very wierd....
Old 12-05-2006, 11:02 AM
confuzed member

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
BUT... ok i get increasing in value according to prior resale value.. .but i was going off of. going up in value as in over the original sticker value of the car. such as many muscle cars the toyota 2000gt. and PERFECT condition s30's some other rare cars like that im sure... well.. s30 isnt rare which is why you can get them cheap but ones in perfect condition can sell for soem damn good $$$ so i felt i should throw that in there.

and how do you come on a Z site name yourself VR4Gasm and then ask ifyou should get a Z or a VR4... lol... thats somewhat contradicting and yeah. its wierd is all.... very wierd....
wrong....find me 20 70-71 240z's for sale in less than 3 hours.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Über User

thats sooo specific... lol... i could find 20 240z's for sale in 3 hours.. but not that specific.. and in such random conditions... ok they are kinda rare... fine i give in... yeesh...
Old 12-06-2006, 06:32 AM

You can't blame me for wanting to get some opinions from the best, and those who have driven the cars and owned the cars. My name on 3SI has to do with Z32's, so yeah, it's just a bit contradicting, but it works for me.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Über User

i dont blame you for anything. your learing finding stuff out. getting good info. but info isnt always everything and i just find the name thing very ironic and contradicting... so i brought it up lol.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:31 AM

Dude, I absolutely love the quote in your signature.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Über User

haha well its from Zlover.. and you will see him around every so often (he is insanly smart about the Z32) in the Z32 forums especially since thats what you want... dont know where he got it from or made it up himself... but its hilarious so i needed to stick that in there.