300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

advice for a newb

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 01:46 PM

advice for a newb

ok im new to the z32 world had my n/a since nov and am just now coming into enough money (courtesy of glendale nissan) to start upgrading and building the car i plan on doing a tt swap after im done with school but im looking for a little more power in the mean time so i have a couple questions

1st) does anyone know the accuracy of these "build sheets" i havent been able to find any feed back on their proven results

http://sgpracing-store.stores.yahoo....96nis30na.html

http://sgpracing-store.stores.yahoo.net/9096nis307.html

2nd) can the jwt dual pop charger or "dools" style intakes offer any benefits for n/a?/ can it cause harm?

3rd) are their any spec differences between the n/a and tt cams or heads?

4th) i know its safe and supposedly more beneficial if you put 3 inch exhaust on a 240sx(ka24de) so what is the safest exhaust diameter to run on an na z32?

and last but not least does anyone know of a supplier capable of getting the mines vx-rom(is there anyone here running it n/a?) and if so is it better or the same compared to ash spec

all feedback will be greatly appreciated thanks in advanced for everyones input
Old 05-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Pr0n Addict

why are you trying to upgrade the n/a if you want to turbo swap it? your exhaust and stuff will have to be taken off then.

anyway, 2.5 is usually good for n/a.

those build sheets look like most. no big surprises. but if you do a turbo build, if you have an EBC, you'll need to dyno tune it anyway, so it doesn't matter what the build sheets say.

n/a and tt cams and heads are very different. differences between the heads themselves are small, but very present (they won't switch over easily at all). the cams are very different.

and finally, what is so special about your n/a to make it worth a turbo swap? in most cases, it's a way better idea to sell the n/a and buy a tt. the only reason to not do it like that is if there is something very special about you n/a.

turbo swap = -$4000-1000 depending on how many used vs. new parts you use.
selling n/a = +$4000
buying tt = -$5000.

cost of buying a tt = $1000 maybe?
cost of doing a swap = $5000.

very generalized and estimated numbers, but you get the point. the difference is very big, so the estimations can be changed some and the point still stays. sell the n/a buy a tt
Old 05-19-2009, 02:26 PM

my z is an north carolina car without any rust what so ever( i made sure of it coming from the 240 scene) and i havent been able to find a tt as clean as mine for anywhere near what i payed for mine(3100)
Old 05-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Pr0n Addict

look outside of nc then. if yours is so clean, you can get a lot more than that for it when you re-sell it, just emphasizing the notion to sell it and get a tt. rust is not a huge problem with Z32's. i have seen very few with rust in VA. i've only ever heard of rusty ones up north in ny and chi town.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:14 PM

well you see i got lucky with this one seeing as how i live in chi town the car came from a dealership in charlotte nc guy traded it for a bmw

i would go n/a but from what ive read people say na builds on this car are useless

like i said this is a project for down the road if at all so im trying to get as much info as possible i know how much work and $ goes into the swap ive spent the past 7 months researching and that includes talking to people who have done it on their own and people who do it professionally (christain szabo the owner of ultimate z in streamwood il) i was just curious about these things in case i decided to stick with n/a permanently or i may go with an entirely different motor all together a buddy of mine from st louis just finished his rb25 swap in his z so options are always open
Old 05-19-2009, 07:12 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by changin lanes
and i havent been able to find a tt as clean as mine for anywhere near what i payed for mine(3100)
now take that $3100 and add what the TT swap is likely gonna cost to do right. and i'll go with a conservative estimate.

3100+6500=9600

you should be able to find a clean TT for less than $10k if you have a little patience.

and swapping in an RB is pretty pointless. why would you give up displacement?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Pr0n Addict

seriously. the vg30dett has put out 1400+ hp. it's put out 1000+ hp on a streetable car! the rb is not an improvement.

why do i keep trying to convince people to give up on their big idea of a turbo swap? i don't know. they'll either figure it out themselves once they actually get to buying parts, or they won't and they'll end up with a lot of parts and a taken apart car that they try to sell for $4k or something. and don't say that you're in the category that will finish it because if you were, then you wouldn't be asking questions like are the tt heads different than those on an n/a.

i thought about the turbo swap too soon after i got my n/a. as dumb as i sound sometimes, i'm a pretty bright person, and trust me, i found that it's REALLY not worth it. a clean n/a does not make it special enough to deserve the swap. in fact, it just makes it a better candidate to get sold to make money for the tt. but you keep doing your searching and asking and looking for parts and soon you'll realize that all that effort was only spent to convince yourself of what i'm telling you right now.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

If you're in Chicagoland, join ChicagoZ.com.

And ignore stage charts, they're useless.

I didn't read anything else in this thread yet - I'm busy. I might be back to read more later.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:54 AM
Über User

blah blah blah blah blah, is all i got from this thread, though i like Zlover's comment for some reason, i get the chicago reference due to ultimateZ but the swap isn't much worth it. and being in chicago a clean TT isn't really all that hard to come across. however for a proper price it can be. sell the NA for close to 5k as possible and pick up a TT for 6 or 7k. do a bit of body work and your good. where abouts from chicago land are you from? me and randy (zlover) are both memers of chicago Z, a few pertty smart Z32 guys on there.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:00 AM

im in glendale heights right next to uti i joined chicago z about a month ago havent rly spent much time on there except to browse the for sale section
Old 06-08-2009, 05:42 PM

Glendale Heights -- I am probably around the corner from you -- I am a stones throw from the 7-11 on Glen Ellen Road !
Old 06-08-2009, 09:49 PM

If you have your mind set on the TT swap do items that can cross over to the swap.
Easy items would include jwt intake and under drive pulley.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:29 AM

I have to agree with Kasbek. A turbo swap is a waste of time and money when there is already a turbo version available. The upshot is that as a rule of thumb I never buy a turbo car with 70k+ miles on it, and if you do a swap you SHOULD be putting in a motor with 30k - 60k miles. Then on the downside again replacement turbos (or even upgraded turbos) don't cost as much as doing a turbo swap.

Being an NA guy, though, I say go for it. Makes my car a little less common. So how much you want to sell your NA motor for after the swap?

EDIT: Not to mention that if these cars become valuable classics down the road people are going to view your turbo swap as a hack job no matter how well you did simply because the #s don't match.

Last edited by jverz; 06-10-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Oh yeah