300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Adjustable control arms

Old 05-26-2009, 08:23 AM

Adjustable control arms

So I have recently joined a group that holds regular auto crossing events in parking lot. The question I have is that I recently installed a set of Eibach springs without doing the camber correction, I am thinking that autocross times will get better once the camber is corrected?
Anyone else have thoughts on this and or ways to make the Z a little better on short tracks?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

SPLParts.com and Powertrix.com

You should never drop a car without camber correction - it will wear out your tires prematurely.

And get sway bars if you haven't gotten them yet. There are many other suspension mods for you to look into, as well. Browse SPL and Powertrix.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:40 PM

Well I guess I need to be clear.

I know I should not have installed the lowered springs first, but old springs had 187k on them and needed to be replaced. I could not afford to do everything at once, so knowing it really would not hurt the tires anymore than the sag I currently had, I went ahead and replaced.
Now with the fact that I know the camber is jacked and that it is eating the insides of my tires prematurely is out of the way. I am guessing that correcting the camber should help increase my handling by putting more of the tire surface on the ground. It makes since at least in my mind.

I have always been about the 1/4 mile in the past and now that I am working on suspension wondering what the best "bang for the Buck" upgrade would be.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Pr0n Addict

the problem with all this is that whatever you do, correction kit or adjustable upper links, you will then need another professional alignment done. it sucks. that's why i'm going with the cheaper camber correction kit whenever i get around to it.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Camber correction, tension rods, and sway bars. Sway bars make the biggest difference for cornering, tension rods for braking, but it is all moot if you are not getting full traction on the tires because the camber is off. Tire wear isn't the only reason for proper camber - the more rubber contacting the ground, the better the traction.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Pr0n Addict

so you are a supporter of sway bars also? i've found more than one thread on tt.net where people took off their msa sway bars for the stockers because the msa's actually reduced traction. so they said... the sway bar principle sounds great to me, and most feed back that i've heard from them has been great. just a little bit of confusion on them coming from a few threads:

http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg...ral&dtSearch=4

btw sorry i keep asking you to explain every thread that disagrees with you lol. i'm probably pretty close to wearing out my really good resource with you . last one!
Old 05-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Kuah is a HIGHLY experienced driver with an EXTREMELY modified Z32, so his impression of the equipment will be vastly different than that of normal drivers. If you noticed, he talked about putting the OEM bars back on his time attack car.

Aftermarket sway bars will result in generally better track times for the average driver and moderately modified suspension and their adjustability allows users to tune the suspension to how they want it (they can be adjusted to differing levels of over/understeer, as well as a neutral setting). If you dig more, you'll realize that more people recommend sway bars than not. Nobody can argue (not even Kuah) that they reduce body roll... reduced body roll will result in better handling for a normal driver. But everything about his suspension has been touched at some point and I'm sure his chassis is MUCH stiffer than the normal Z32 chassis. As a result, the OEM bars, which allow more give than aftermarket, will help his car maintain traction more (there has to be some compromise in the suspension somewhere). But again, on a lightly or unmodified suspension, gains will be seen with aftermarket sways. In general, I'd say it makes the car easier to control and more precise, especially during oversteer correction.

Sway bars were my second ever suspension mod, I carried them over to my second Z for a reason, and they will be carried over to my third (and hopefully final) Z.

Furthermore, one of Kuah's reasons for preferring OEM over aftermarket is the weight savings of hollow OEM bars... his car is a stripped down racecar and he benefits more from things of this sort than a weekend warrior who still has an interior.

Regardless, he says he recommends at least upgrading the bushings and end links.

And yes, you are quickly wearing out my willingness to hold your hand. Everything I've said on this matter could be found by reading more than one post in the search results on TT.NET. In fact, much of it can be seen in the responses to that one thread.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 05-26-2009 at 03:16 PM.