300ZX (Z32) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis for the 90-96 300ZX

Suspension update - Good mix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:17 PM

Suspension update - Good mix?

So I have a 93 NA that I just bought and I'm going through the whole car trying to figure out what needs to be done. While I was in the process of replacing one of the wheel bearings in the front, I did a short little walk around the car while it was on the lift. I noticed that all the rubber boots are totally shot, and the car seems to sag a bit , more so on the drivers side. Also (as I've mentioned in another post) the camber in the front is way negative. I was planning on making some shims like the ones Z1 sells but after going over what I saw in my head I figure I might as well spend the money now and fix the problem.

I don't have the money for a fancy set of coilovers, nor do I think I need something like that. I might do some autox in the future, but i'm not worried about keeping it stock.

Since money is an issue I did some research and I think that the good old blue Tokico HP's are my best bet. I priced them out at about $270 from Suspension Max (via googles shopping thing).

For springs, I am kind torn between the standard Eibach set and the Tein S Tech's on sale from Z1. Both are close enough in price that I don't know which to go with. I know the eibach's have a 0.8 inch drop all around, and the Tein's have a larger drop in the front, which I like. Has anyone used both sets? I don't mind a firmer ride, as long as it is solid. I will be running a set of 17s during the summer with 235/45s on them. So I guess my only worry would be the bigger wheels/tires and not cooperating with the drop.

Last but not least I figured I should get the AMS adjustable alignment kit from Z1. It is really expensive, but I really want everything to be within specs. Have any of you bought/used this combination? With my torsion rods shot and the camber way out I figure its the best way to get everything back in line.

Well thats about it; I figure it would come out to be around $1k. Let me know what you all think. I've never pieced anything together for a Z so I'll take any advice I can get!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Pr0n Addict

eibach springs are a good choice, and KYB AGX shocks are a good choice. during what research i did on the tokicos, i found them to be inferior to the KYBs, and tons of people have used the kybs with the eibachs with really good results.

ams is a terrible company. you're going to need to spend a bit more than that. if money is an issue, just get new tension rods or put energy suspension bushings in your old ones, and shim out the upper link. that option is preferable to getting ams stuff. seriously, your ams stuff will fail, and then they'll tell you that it was your fault or something. that's why EVERYONE that knows z32's will tell you to go with SPL or powertrix suspension components only.

just put tires on your 17's that give you the same diameter outside as your stock set up does. there are tire calculators online that will tell you what size tire to put on your new wheel to come up with the same OD that you have now, then you don't have to worry about your speedo or rubbing.

lastly, just putting new springs in does not guarantee that your camber is right. you need to measure it and adjust it until it's correct after these springs go in, or just get the 300 degrees kit that will compensate for those springs pretty well.