300ZX (Z32) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis for the 90-96 300ZX

front brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 04:30 PM

front brake upgrade

Hi,
here in germany you have to show your car every 2years at a technical controlling unit called "tüv" they want to see if everything works etc. and if the car has no dangerous mods etc.
so now I want to upgrade my brake system, cause the old original are barely offritten, and it is not much fun to brake down from 250km/h to zero with that kind of original crap.
I have seen a Skyline upgrade which Iam very interested in, but I have mailed conceptzperformance and they have only an Akebono 14" upgrade kit (front) for $1350 ... has anyone had experience with that akebono kit, and will that system fit with my 18" Rays 350z rims?
I guess I will take the Skyline kit because I have no idea if they deliver the akebono kit with some sort of papers etc. and this is necessary here in germany

has anyone had experience with ultimate z ? I have tried to mil them several times but no response.

Thx Carsten
Old 01-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Pr0n Addict

ultimate z is generally considered a much better vendor than concept.

can't vouch for either of those brakes, but don't forget to check out the mws kit. just google "mws big brakes" or something and you'll find it. it's probably the most affordable front brake upgrade.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:23 AM

Hi,
sounds o.k but I need a system with new calipers etc. The problem with that original crap is that the discs start to deform when you brake from maxspeed to zero a few times.
I guess I order the Skyline kit from Ultimate Z
Thankz !
Old 01-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Pr0n Addict

well, i understand that you have your mind made up, but i might mention that the calipers aren't necessarily causing that. bigger rotors with stock calipers reach the same effect to a lesser degree. here's some things about z brakes that you'd have to do a lot of research to find:

1. 1990 n/a models had 26mm rotors instead of 30's. if you have a 1990 n/a, that's a large part of your problem.

2. rotors on z's need to be turned on the car. this requires a special machine and for many makes it a better idea to replace rotors rather than have them turned. if you've been taking your rotors off of the car to have them turned, that may be part of your problem.

3. wearing hubs on z's with run-out exceeding ?0.0002? allow the rotor to wobble inside the caliper, wearing thin spots in the rotors. so, even with new calipers, rotors, AND pads, if your hubs have too much run-out, your brakes will continue to warp pre-maturely. before you put any new brake parts on it, have the runout of the hubs measured. if it's out of spec, replace the hubs. after that, you may find it acceptable to go with a less expensive brake upgrade. you'll have to look up the spec though because i can't remember it. i'll look it up for you if you can't find it.

i wasted a lot of money working on my brakes before i knew that stuff! i hope you take it into consideration.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by KasbeKZ
ultimate z is generally considered a much better vendor than concept.
Really? Since when?

http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300z...s-of-my-Z.html

http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300z...with-them.html

Ultimate Z is recommended only when the parts are known to be in stock. If the parts are back-ordered, they can take forever, and are horrible at communication. I used to work for Ultimate Z... and even when I still lived 45 minutes from them, I ordered my parts from Coz.

People only dislike Coz because he's become unethical lately in that he's copying parts. Other than that, he's a much better vendor.

But I'd recommend Specialty Z or Import Parts Pro for any part orders.

Good responses otherwise.

Don't waste your money on the "Skyline upgrade"... they're almost the same 4-piston calipers as a TT, just altered to accept a thicker rotor. If you want to cut down braking distances, there are two things you need - more leverage (larger diameter rotor) and more friction (wider tires). A wider, vented rotor will also aide in heat dissipation, which will help with repeated brake usage (and the Skyline kit does this), but it won't bring you down from speed much faster.

But I'll tell you the same thing I've said on here before - the most that ANY brake setup can do is lock up the front tires.

If you have 18" wheels, you'll be able to tuck any brake upgrade available for the Z32. Look into the 350Z upgrades, as well - very cost affective, as you can find used calipers, and the parts are widely available.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 01-05-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:45 AM
Pr0n Addict

i guess i was just going on the unethical part. it really doesn't matter to me how fast either of them is, i just wouldn't give my business to coz anymore. thanks for putting the real facts out there for him though!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:02 PM

Thank´s a lot for your help.
it seems that communication is a very big problem for ultimateZ.
I had tried to ask them via mail several times...but no response, and I have no fun to send them money with that lack of communication.And 2nd I want to install the brakes asap because I will go back on the road in April.
I would also prefer a bigger brake upgrade or an aftermarket brake system like AP, Brembo etc. the problem is that I really dont´t know if the brakes come with some sort of papers for the tüv, if not I have a very very big problem and can swap it back to original. That is why I wanted that skyline kit it is Nissan OEM that means for me, no trouble with the tüv (technical surveillance unit) in english.

I have now the Rays 350Z rims in "18 if I choose another kit, which will fit without bigger modifications?

Thank´s and sorry for my bad english
cheers carsten
Old 02-09-2010, 10:39 AM

Try Arizonacar.com .. He sells the Wilwood 13"rotor with 6 piston calipers for $1400..
I have them and love them.. Good communication too.. He owns a couple of Z's
Old 02-12-2010, 06:30 AM
Jack Of All Trades

I'll 2nd the Wilwood kit.