300ZX (Z32) Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.

5 1/2" speakers in stock rear box

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:48 AM
F5 Hero

5 1/2" speakers in stock rear box

Jeff's rear speakers were blown, so we decided to change them. He had a set of 5 1/2" that we were putting in. After removing the paneling he still had the stock boxes so we decided to use those. The speakers that were in there had been simply bolted on top of the stock box.

Old speakers.

Our original plan was to dremel out the top of the stock speaker box and bolt the speakers in to that. After much dremel'ing, we got the fitment right, however they were too tall for the paneling to fit back over.

At this point, I came up with the idea to make a bracket out of wood that would bolt on to the bottom half of the original speaker box, so we traced out templates, which I then cut. (luckily i have a crap ton of wood taking up too much space in my garage)

After that we dremeled out the middle, and drilled out the screw holes.

After that we decided to paint them, then we mounted them in and mounted the speakers. The fitment of the wood was not perfect and didn't make an air tight seal obviously as I didn't have a jig saw to make the rounded corners with (yes I had to round them with the big saw). Although, I think they did come out good. I also made 2 more sets (one for my car and one for anyone else that wants some)) and also because the plastic top part has indentions where it will sit on the lip perfectly is another reason the wood didn't sit air tight. I also cut notches for the speaker wire to go in. At one point this car was running an equalizer with all the speakers amped from the previous owner, not that the amp was removed but the equalizer was left, it's a wiring mess because pretty much none of the stock harness was used and everything was ghetto rigged. Needless to say I'll probably be fixing that for him soon and using more of the stock harness and removing all this ghetto speaker wire and stuff. (H8 people who don't know about speakers and just run wires themselves instead of utilizing what is available and making it not look like crap (even though no one will see it but we know it's there) )

And the finished product.

Don't ask me why jeff (car club friend who helps me do my swap) wanted the clarion things on there, but he did, so i put them on there for him. This first set was a little rough, and the other 2 sets i made i sanded the edges and made them smooth and stuff. The other 2 came out much nicer, I did not drill out the center holes of those though in case different sized speakers go in.

Last edited by napoleonzheking; 01-14-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:00 AM
The Evil Twin

Good work. I bet they sound nice.

With a little cutting I once fit a pair of 6x9's up front in a small Datsun truck.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:37 AM

what is the electric box in the rear speaker box? if i replace the speakers should i use the old wiring?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Pr0n Addict

it's a cross over. you don't have to use the same wiring, but if you want to use the cross overs you can try.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:50 AM

alright can a aftermarket stereo work with the cross overs because i just got my z and it didn't have a stereo and the rear speakers were blown
Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

it's an amp, not a crossover. the factory bose speakers were individually amplified. if you want to use new speakers you have to get rid of it. it will NOT work with anything other than the factory bose system. KasbeKZ, if you don't know for sure please don't answer.

300zgearhead, there are threads about how to add aftermarket stereo gear to the car. please search. all the old bose stuff has to come out.

Last edited by entropy31; 01-20-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Pr0n Addict

i'm pretty sure they are cross overs as well. i'm looking it up now
Old 01-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Pr0n Addict

seem to not be able to find it right now. i read an article saying they were crossovers/amps. so, having read it, i did feel that i knew for sure. sorry it wasn't perfect.

but as a simple explanation: crossovers go between an amp and the speakers. if the amps are right there, and there is a crossover (which i'd really bet there is cause the front speakers are smaller than the rear no?), it would have to be right there with the amp. but, there may not be a crossover, so i'm sorry. i don't go around spouting crap all the time, so it's really not necessary to give me a "talking to" about it.

Last edited by KasbeKZ; 01-20-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:51 PM

Dude....no.

The front speakers are larger than the rears. It seems that there is a lot of stuff that you've 'read' about Z's that turn out being wrong, so you need to find another source for your data.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:08 AM
Pr0n Addict

http://www2.zhome.com:81/ZCMnL/PICS/...ereo.html#orig

no good?
Old 01-21-2009, 05:15 AM
Obsessive Craigslist Disorder

when i put in my infinitys i didnt use the stock amps/crossovers i hooked them directly to my head unit and they sound great
Old 01-21-2009, 05:15 AM

ohh btw i made a sub box with two 8in audiobahns its kick azz
Old 01-21-2009, 05:24 AM
Pr0n Addict

i don't have crossovers either. they aren't really mandatory. don't start calling them amps/crossovers though. they'll get mad at me when i turn out wrong!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:39 AM

i dont remember what they were called but that what they were referd to in the post which is why i used it
Old 01-21-2009, 05:49 AM

well factory front speakers are like 2.5" with a bunch of tubing. when replacing 6.5" fit fine for the front and 4x6 in the rear (without cutting) if you have replaced the factory head unit, then you don't use the bose amps(they are garbage anyway)
Old 01-21-2009, 06:43 AM
F5 Hero

You can remove the factory amps and use the factory harness running from the head unit to each speaker. It saves time / headache of having to run wires. In the car pictured, the previous owner had all the speakers amped through his amp, and also had an equalizer. When he sold the car he removed the amp, but left the equalizer, now all speakers run from the equalizer, which is a huge headache. Why? Because it isn't needed and it's a wiring nightmare.

In my car, I'm using the factory harness with an adapter, so it goes head unit > adapter > factory harness > speakers. I also have an amp and a sub.

What I'm saying is, spend the money on a quality head unit, quality speakers, and it will sound just as good as an equalizer and amped speakers.

Sure they ghetto brackets we made here don't fit air tight on the stock box, but it sounds a lot better than blown speakers, and I like it 100 million times better than the adapters I bought that just bolts in 2 screw holes and leaves the speaker suspended on just this bracket. I'll be putting mine back in. and using one of the other sets of these brackets i made.

Last edited by napoleonzheking; 01-21-2009 at 06:46 AM.