300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

the xperiment

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 10:47 AM

the xperiment

ok, you all know the black box...the one after the filter, well, pull it off.
After doing so, look inside. There are 2 holes, now if you cover them ( I used speed tape, its used on aircraft that go over 800 mph). Viola, you have a straight pipe to your intake. CAUTION, Be carefull in what you cover it with, for it might come off and get stuck on your mass air flow sensor. I did this mod becasue in some states you can not mod certain things on a street car, and also for the sleeper look.

ps, I have not dyno, nor test drove it yet. I just finished working on it when it started raining...hard, so test drive tommorow, and a update on how the performance feel.

I also have another mod in production, it is a mod to your filter box, again making a performance intake out of your stock. I am cutting a hole in the bottom of the box ( the filter holder) and ataching a scoup on it. I am then going to plug the old hole. after the assembly is togeter, I will then make a hole in my shroud, just big enough to fit the mini scoop I made, then presto, you have a forced induction system. again this has not been tested yet, if it works....real good, would anyone be interested in purchasing pre made boxes?

Last edited by WolfMan; 02-07-2006 at 10:56 AM. Reason: adding a project.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Loves Going Topless

Boy have times changed, we used to call it 500mph tape. Militry duck tape. Works great to patch bullet holes too. Also seen it used to patch rotors, had to sit down every little bit and retape, but it's get ya home.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:14 PM

lol, is it the same tape? its sticky aluminum. and I can tell you are deff. Army..he he no offense.

Believe it or not, we use that for C-17 and C-5 to fly home for repairs.
Its funny, most of the repairs at my base is, get the speed tape!!! Because the new aircraft are advance composite. I can do those repairs, but our base does not have the equipment. ( C-130 base)

well later all
Old 02-07-2006, 06:31 PM

this "mod" will do nothing except make your intake a little more noisy and possibly cause your MAF to be partially blocked if the tape falls off.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:37 AM
Loves Going Topless

Probably not the same tape, it was actual duck tape back then. That aluminum tape didn't exist in those days.
There are 2 grades of the aluminum tape, one is just a sticky backing and one has a sticky back with gell base for sealing.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:30 AM

lol, this tape will not come off. If it works on airplanes that fly in high altitudes, and still has the tape when it lands, I am pretty sure ti will stay on when its in a mild enviroment. See working at my job, i get to know cool things.

and how would it make it noisy?

ps, I respect everything you say az-zbum, I just want to know how, so that i can fix it
Old 02-08-2006, 12:28 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by WolfMan
and how would it make it noisy?
that box after the air box is a resonator. basically it quiets down your intake. modifying it would likely make things a bit louder, although not much. i think you would be better off replacing the stock air box with a k&n filter and the resonator box with a straight pipe. if that wont pass your local inspections, keep the old stuff and put it back on for inspection time, shouldnt take more than 5 minutes tops.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:31 PM

see, this is where I am confused, I made the resonator int a straight pipe, by blocking those holes off, so by replacing it with a straight pipe will accomplish nothing, but doing what I did makes it look like a sleeper.