300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

At Wit's end!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 07:59 PM

Angry At Wit's end!!!!

I can't get my 86 to run. I start the car, and it'll sputter for a few moments, then die. When I purchased it, it would idle just fine, but not rev over 2400rpms. When I pulled the codes, I got codes for the CHTS and TPS. I've since replaced those two sensors and no change to how it (doesn't) run. I've replaced the timing belt, tensioner, cam/crank seals, water pump, and the other belts to the accessories. I've disconnected the MAF for troubleshooting. And it would idle for a few moments, then die. I tried a MAF out of a Maxima, but that worked as well as the stock one not being plugged in. Fuel pressure is good. I can hear the pump prime on key-on proceedures. A complete tune up (replaced everything in the ignition) was accomplished and a fresh/clean fuel filter was installed. I tried to start her again, and same thing. I'll sputter and die. But now I only get a code for the fuel temp sensor. I'm not too worried about that just yet. As long as the fuel pressure is good, I'll just press on with other things.

When I purchased her, she had less than 1/8 tank of fuel in her. And that's when she'd idle well. It started sputtering a day or so after that. I've since put 5 gallons of premium and a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the tank.

Does this sound like clogged injectors to anyone else? I'm about at my wits end with this issue. I'd appreciate a fresh opinion on the ordeal.

Thanks in advance,

Wink
Old 07-04-2006, 08:38 PM

Today she almost idled. I had to hold my foot down on the accelerator just a bit. And she idled like crap. But this time she breathed for a good 1 minute or so.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:31 PM
I'm a Registered User!

how good is your fuel pressure doing? I had a problem like this when my fuel pump was going out, maybe it's along the same lines. Try getting one from some auto parts store where you can return it if it's not the problem

Last edited by SpeciallySpiked; 07-04-2006 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:06 AM

You also might want to check your idle adjustment screw and replace the fuel filter.
But definetly check out the fuel pump.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:02 AM

I've checked that already. Fuel pressure seems to be ok. Ranging between 30-36 psi. I'm not going to rule out the pump. And it will be on my list of things to swap out, if the problem continues.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:45 PM

here is a horrible video of me trying to start the motor. The first couple tries, it didn't want to fire up. But the last few tries, you can see how it wants to fire up, and then die.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...Picture013.flv
Old 07-06-2006, 12:25 AM

Check the MAF yet?
Old 07-06-2006, 07:56 AM

I did, but it didn't help to swap it out with the Maxima unit I had lying around. Another Z owner is allowing me to use one of his spare units this week, in order to further troubleshoot the issue. I'll post results after that.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:47 AM

IT's ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!

Another Z owner loaned me a MAF and ECU to help me further troubleshoot my issues. Well, today I swapped out the MAF. It fired right up and maintained a "decent" idle. It idles a bit low, and wants to stall. But I'll have that fixed today when I adjust the ignition timing and idle adjustment. I'm just happy it's running again.

Thanks for all of your help.

Wink