300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

What kind of exhaust do you guys have?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 08:58 AM

Thumbs down What kind of exhaust do you guys have?

I'm currently looking at getting a better exhaust system for my 85 300zx Turbo, and I'm curious as to what other people have and reccommend.

Anyone running without a muffler?
What about pipes that come out in front of the rear tire on the side? 3 inch too big or too small?

I hear there's a place in the stock exhaust where the exhaust goes up and over part of the car in the rear(haven't actually looked at it yet), and that's not so good for high velocity flow...Anyone found a way to avoid that bend?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2005, 11:04 PM

Location: I'm located in the more southern local... Jackson, MS.
Um, actually I have... I recently pulled my cat, hollowed it out and put it back in place, when I did that, I decided to upgrade my exhaust as well... I used 3" galvanized piping that I picked up at Home Depot, and ran it straight back, bringing it as close to the floor pan as possible, You have to pull out a steel guard that keeps the exhuast in place, it's probably bent and scratched to hell like mine was from being scraped, go ahead and pull that off.... if you're running a turbo, your best bet is to use 3" piping, your stock pipe diameter is 2 1/2". You'll have to fabricate your own brakets though... and yea, it goes over the rear axle on the driver side, I just ran it right under that... which probably isn't the best idea, but it works for now, I'm probably going to have a mandrel bend put in just to get it over the axle so I won't scrape it, but my muffler's now angled up because I had to bring it so close to the underbody. I use a Megan Racing Turbo II muffler, 3" inlet, and 4.5" outlet, can be found on MeganRacing.com. That's about all I can tell you, it's what I did in an afternoon... It really helped me out with my back pressure... I know I lost quit a bit... but because of the megan racing muffler's design, it sustains enough backpressure to function properly. Hope your project goes well!!

JD
Old 06-27-2005, 07:42 PM

3 inch all the way from downpipe... no muffler got a tip biggest in store...sounds nice....you can hear the turbo spinning sound, like if your're giving him an interview for school paper...
Old 06-29-2005, 07:04 PM

"I'm probably going to have a mandrel bend put in just to get it over the axle so I won't scrape it, but my muffler's now angled up because I had to bring it so close to the underbody. I use a Megan Racing Turbo II muffler, 3" inlet, and 4.5" outlet, can be found on MeganRacing.com. That's about all I can tell you, it's what I did in an afternoon... It really helped me out with my back pressure... I know I lost quit a bit... but because of the megan racing muffler's design, it sustains enough backpressure to function properly"

I have no idea what you're talking about. Do you?