300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

what the F*ck does detonation sound like?

Old 01-13-2005, 09:20 PM

what the F*ck does detonation sound like?

Dude i raced this mustang 5.0 and in first gear it souded weird and wouldn't go n e where (well to me cause i was whoopin on that 5.0) but it was wierd. what makes a motor detonate? And my car was idling weird a couble days before and i checked the spark plugs and the #1 and #2 piston's were broken. like the porcelin and the tip broke inside. i couldnt get the parts out. so i wonder if that did n e thing. my car is running like **** so please help.

Ryan
Old 01-16-2005, 04:24 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Detonation is usually caused by, one or both, of two things. 1) the engine isn't getting enough fuel mixed with the air, or a lean air/fuel mixture. 2) ignition timing is too far advanced. I wouldn't know why you had detonation. I do know that if I had sparkplug parts missing inside my motor, I'd be pulling the heads. By the sound of things you had some kind of meltdown.
I used some autolite plugs in a ford one time and the electrode broke off of one plug. that little piece of metal bent the intake valve and broke the exhaust valve.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:06 PM

Ya but it has been running not bad enough that i would take the heads off. but i guess i should. well i might as well put piston and all that other fun stuff. well thanks man

ryan
Old 01-16-2005, 10:19 PM

Detonation sounds like marbles in the intake plenum.

Just so I'm clear on this....The #1 & #2 plugs were broken and when you pulled tham out, some of the porcelain fell into the combustion chamber, right? If that's the case, then the only way to get them out is to remove the heads. You could try to suck the pieces out with a vacuum, but you would never know for sure if you got all the pieces out. If you don't get all of the pieces out, then it won't really matter because you'll be taking off the heads to fix it anyways. Or, did the porcelain around the electrode break inside the combustion chamber? If that's the case, then you have to remove the heads to fix it.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Detonation sounds like marbles in the intake plenum.

Just so I'm clear on this....The #1 & #2 plugs were broken and when you pulled tham out, some of the porcelain fell into the combustion chamber, right? If that's the case, then the only way to get them out is to remove the heads. You could try to suck the pieces out with a vacuum, but you would never know for sure if you got all the pieces out. If you don't get all of the pieces out, then it won't really matter because you'll be taking off the heads to fix it anyways. Or, did the porcelain around the electrode break inside the combustion chamber? If that's the case, then you have to remove the heads to fix it.
ok my car at idle felt like it was misfireing. so i took the spark plugs off and i saw that the whole tip that does the spark was broken and i couldnt get the parts out. so like u said i think it hit a valve and is not combusting right
Old 02-15-2005, 05:43 PM

to get the parts out of your cylender w/o taking the headsoff you can try taking the plugs out and cranking the motor over most of the time the compression will blow out the pieces or at least most of them. it worked when me and a friend had to retap one of his pug hole and the shavings went in the cylender. so what the hell try it. cant hurt any thing, and if it dont work well have fun with the heads.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:23 PM

that happened to me, my ceramic fell out of my bosch plug. it bounced around inside of the cylinder for a little while, and then exited out past my exhaust valve. kinda nicked the piston though.