300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Traction/stability control- power windows fusible link

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 08:52 PM

Location: I'm located in the more southern local... Jackson, MS.
Traction/stability control- power windows fusible link

Okay, I need help with this ASAP, it's beginnings to get colder here, and my windows are stuck down. I've been covering my car with a tarp when it rains for the past few weeks to prevent water from entering the cabin. Okay, one day after driving around and doing what ever I was doing that day, I pulled into my driveway and noticed smoke emitting from under the hood of my car on the passenger side. Well, I opened the hood immediately to find that the box that housed the fusible links had caught fire. After blowing profusely on it to extinguish the flame, I learned that the link between Tracton/stability control, and power windows had blown out, causing the fire. Basically...the short and curley's of this are that my windows are suck down. This is BIG problem now that winter's setting in (keep in mind I live in MS, when it gets hot, it gets HOT, when it gets cold, it gets COLD). I have to find a way to put the windows back up. I've seen this link blow on many other Z's and never had time to inquire what happened, if I did inquire my typical response was "it was like that when I bought it". The usual repair is a 10,15,20,25 amp fuse placed between the wires of the link. Well,... I tried this approach and came up empty handed. I have not removed my door panels since I put in the speakers, but that was months before this happened to me. I cannot figure this out, I've checked all the fuses under the dash, my assumption is a short in a resistor or maybe a wiring failure of the motors themselves. IF YOU HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND FOUND A SOLUTION, please help me. I would greatly appreciate the help. I am at a loss of what to do.

JD
Old 10-14-2005, 09:04 AM

Location: I'm located in the more southern local... Jackson, MS.
I'm taking it none of you have encountered this before... or you're all just ignoring this thread..
Old 10-14-2005, 10:23 AM

have you checked for power? have you checked the switches? have you checked the motors?
Old 10-14-2005, 11:58 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

wait, you said the link blew? have you gone to nissan and got a new one yet? it's kind of hard to diagnose electrical problems without being there. if you dont have a mutimeter, you should get one. they are an invaluable tool when faced with electrical problems. check the wiring diagram and test at points along that. wherever power stops is where your problem is.