300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

PROBELMS WITH MY 300zx HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 09:49 AM

PROBELMS WITH MY 300zx HELP!!

I recently bought a 300 and when i go out driving/drifting and then i cut it off after driving a little while after i decide to crank it back up..it doesnt i turn the key but nothing happens it doesnt even turn over..after i leave it there for a while it will crank back up why is this does anybody have a similar problem they had but figured out the problem
Old 10-16-2005, 09:51 AM

oh yeah and it is a turbo
Old 10-16-2005, 11:08 AM

I think it's trying to tell you to stay in school and learn proper punctuation and grammar. This is a message board, not a chat room.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:41 AM

Thank you for the information that you have provided me "AZ-ZBUM". Now my car does not crank when cooled down and still doesn't turn over. What shall I do?
Old 10-16-2005, 04:12 PM
F5 Hero

If your driving it really hard, it could be your starter's getting too hot. This happened to my Z32 once after a hard drive, i let it cool down and it started right up.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:09 PM

on the back of the starter motor theres a single black plug that connects to a spade. this is an inhibitor switch for the car, hook it back upto the back of the starter motor and crank it over. you'll find that 99.9% of the time thats the problem, z31 starter motors are generally tough items.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:26 PM

Thankyou for the information! I will try this and give it a try and post back on here later.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:08 PM

I have another question. My radiator fan does not cut on automatically when i crank it up causing it to get extemely hot. To solve this i spliced the wires and hooked the positive side to one of my fuses inside the car. Is there anyway around this?
Old 10-17-2005, 07:55 PM

We tried cleaning the clip on the starter but didn't get the car to try to turnover. Took the starter off and the starter is fine. Would the security system prohbit the car from starting, and if would how can we turn off the security system. Or is there aother check to see why it want start.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:58 PM

We tried this and didn't have any sucess, I took the starter off and visted Oreilly and the start checked out fine. Would you happen to have another idea.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:05 PM

Well i have it narrowed down fire is getting to the relay but not to the starter from the ignition. I temporarily fixed it by putting a button onto the starter so now i must pop the hood to crank it but i soon hope to figure it out
Old 10-18-2005, 11:09 PM

I have a 1984 300Zx Turbo and I had the same problem, when I would turn the key all my instrument cluster lights would go off as if there was no juice. I figured out that it was the security alarm. All I had to do was take of the panel right where your knees are on the drivers side and you'll see a fuse hanging down connecting two wires, disconnect the fuse and this should disable the power cutoff.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:30 AM

ok thanks will try!
Old 10-19-2005, 07:38 PM

hmm.....no fused found i have an 85 300zx turbo suppose it changed?
Old 10-19-2005, 07:46 PM

sorry about that i meant to put fuse
Old 10-20-2005, 04:08 AM

well first of all that pics a little big, okay so the starters fine? righto, get a manual and learn about inhibitor switches. next on the list the thermo fan only works when air con is switched on to help aid in cooling the charge air.

Okay now the starter problem, check main fuse box for a blown fuse dont ask me which on im all out sorry, try tracing wires and kicking things, if nothing else, take it to someone and get them to hae a look, you said you can crank it over with the button? well start it and drive it to an auto electrician.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:32 PM

ok guys i fixed it!!! somehow! and it is not with the push button i know it's so great and you wonder how did i do it? Well all i did was put a radio in it since there wasnt one in there before. The security system was inhibiting it from cranking. The radio stores some securtiy info and putting a radio which i put a aftermarket jvc and it fired right up. I just wanted something to listen to in my car so i put that and i turned the key and holy **** it cranked without pushing the button under the hood
Old 10-31-2005, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by ocdank714
I have a 1984 300Zx Turbo and I had the same problem, when I would turn the key all my instrument cluster lights would go off as if there was no juice. I figured out that it was the security alarm. All I had to do was take of the panel right where your knees are on the drivers side and you'll see a fuse hanging down connecting two wires, disconnect the fuse and this should disable the power cutoff.
That's not a factory alarm then. And different alarms act differently. Some like mine, would make them not start.
Originally Posted by motoxracing909
ok guys i fixed it!!! somehow! and it is not with the push button i know it's so great and you wonder how did i do it? Well all i did was put a radio in it since there wasnt one in there before. The security system was inhibiting it from cranking. The radio stores some securtiy info and putting a radio which i put a aftermarket jvc and it fired right up. I just wanted something to listen to in my car so i put that and i turned the key and holy **** it cranked without pushing the button under the hood
Uhhh.... No it doesn't. The radio has nothing to do with the factory alarm system. If it did, your aftermarket deck wouldn't allow the car to start. You probably bumped something when you installed your deck and now your car works.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:45 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by motoxracing909
i agree with zbum. the radio stores no security info, that is absolutely and positively not the problem. i really dont think that its the stock security system that was keeping the car from starting either. i believe the stock alarm switches are on the hood, doors, and hatch, right zbum? nothing else should activate the stock alarm. and doesnt the alarm kill the ECU, not the starter. if this was the case, your car would not run after you cranked it with the button. most likely you have some kind of wiring mess and must have jiggled something the right way. i would guess that when you had no deck in there was just a mass of loose wires, and that a few of them were touching things they shouldnt have been.

Last edited by entropy31; 10-31-2005 at 03:57 AM.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:25 PM

yeah thats what joe was telling me..but it is a good thing it works now cause i' just ordered my suspension and i am getting ready to order a body kit for it cause the front bumper is all screwed up but i am not getting some fancy one that wil lmake my 300zx turbo look unclassical
Old 11-01-2005, 01:10 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

i think the kaminari kit is rather tasteful, and looks mean too. but you may have trouble finding all the pieces.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:04 PM

my personal favorite has always been the Xenon kit for the 84-85 models.
http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merch...egory_Code=8AP
Old 11-01-2005, 02:05 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

i dont like how the xenon angles in on th fascia. the kaminari just looks so clean.
http://www.kaminari.com/products/84300ZXEarly.htm