300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Dual turbos vs twin turbos.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 05:41 AM

Would there be any significant performance gain overusing, dual trubos compared to twin turbos?
My idea is the run custom headers facing the front of the car with the turbos on the ends alowing a straight shot of air coming into the turbos (88300zx) and let the ehxuast come out through a pipe behind the front wheels(through the fenders).
I would not be able to connect the headers to a single turbo do to pulleys and such.So I would need to run a single smaller turbo for each header.what would be th best idea as far as runing the plumbing from the turbos to the intake manifold(wich will also be custom).
would it be better if i did 3 cyclinders per turbo?(such as 1,3 and 5 for one ,and2,4and 6 for the other) or would it be wiser to just connect the plumbing together after the turbos?I have feeling it would be wiser to connect the piping after the turbos together and run a single bov so i dont have any problems with different airflow to the cylinders.
If I were to run the turbos seperately (two seperate pipes to the intake manifold) it would give more more control over air flow to the cylinders and more choices for pluming in the small engine bay.
give me your opinions guys.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:42 AM

I think you're dreaming again and haven't got a clue what you're up against. If you have to ask for permission or opinions on this project, you aren't even ready to start to attempt it.

First, there is cost.
Second, there is capability (which you appear to lack).
Third, there is simply the question of your abilities to even see what the hell you are talking about.

BTW: dual turbos = twin turbo. Not sure what the "vs" is all about.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:13 PM

Location: I'm located in the more southern local... Jackson, MS.
I'm in agreement here... you really don't understand what you're up against. To note... if you're too blind to see that you can create just as much, if not more power than any Z32 around, you're lacking something inside your head. If you're obsessed with going twin turbo then go drop in a VG30DETT ... otherwise, shut up already.. you really don't know what you're doing on this one, kid.

JD
Old 10-28-2005, 02:37 PM
The Good Twin

man... and I thought I raged when someone would say "what are the tools I need to change my Z's oil?"
Old 10-28-2005, 02:39 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by AZ-ZBum
BTW: dual turbos = twin turbo. Not sure what the "vs" is all about.
i think he means twin identical turbos vs. a sequential setup. the reason to run a sequential setup is so you can run one small and one large turbo, the small one to spool quickly for the initial boost, and then the big one taking over for top end. love to see this happen, but like the others, i have serious doubts.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:42 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by entropy31
i think he means twin identical turbos vs. a sequential setup. the reason to run a sequential setup is so you can run one small and one large turbo, the small one to spool quickly for the initial boost, and then the big one taking over for top end. love to see this happen, but like the others, i have serious doubts.
anyone checked out the Mopar sequential for the Diesel? Quite a sight!
Attached Thumbnails Dual turbos vs twin turbos.-bd-power_twin-turbo_image.jpg  

Last edited by NismoPick; 10-28-2005 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:58 PM
confuzed member

That's impressive. So why can't you run a single turbo like the stock setup (88 I'm assuming with a VG30DET)? A sequential setup will be more effective on an inline motor than it will be on a V config motor.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:06 PM

sequential turbos still run off one feed. So you'd have to run all exhaust through one turbo, then that turbos exhaust would feed the second turbo.

It's pretty obvious he hasn't got a clue what's going on with turbocharging. And if you read some of his other posts, you'd realize he's never even going to start any of the projects he dreams up.

So to quote his signature:
would it surprise you if i told you i was 17?
The answer is, Yes. I was thinking 14 or 15 and still dreaming about having a car. Or, having the car and not being able to drive it.

Quit daydreaming in class and pay more attention. And start reading books. And read this site about automotive workings:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/
Old 10-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Opinionated

not only would this be a feat to do, but theres one problem

Its illegal to have your exhaust in front of the drivers seat, it has to be behind it in FL at least, and thats where you, and I, are.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:30 AM

ok first off,I assumed one seperate turbo per exhuast manifold was called a dual turbo setup.Apparently I assumed wrong.

Second if I were to attempt something like this it would be with the original motor,not the z32 motor.(the car is an 88)

Third in the post I didn't even mention comparing twins to the "dual"
setup.I merely asked wich would have been a better "dual" setup.Although I guess I did have somewhat of a misleading post title.

Fourth you can't judge who I am by my reading posts.Letters typed on the screen don't give emotion or feeling,so it probably seems that half the time im rambling over nothing.How can you tell me what skills I lack when you dont even know me?,and have never seen the work I have done? You assume that from my unethical posts that im just another dumb kid wanting a million horses under the hood.
That is definently not what im here for.I am here to learn and to have a good time.
To try and do something unique with my life and not be just another link in the chain.
I'm not looking to do the same thing as every one else.

Fifth,I spend about about an hour a day in my 1st period class(computer electronics) sucking up all the info I can on engines turbo setups and cars in general.My teacher honestly doesn't care,you want to know why? Becuase he knows that I have potential.He sees that im not just trying to waste my life away on another,add a turbo get a million horses setup.Also I check out howstuffworks quite often and have seen just about every major thing on howstuffworks.The fact of the matter is I do,do my research I know it doesn't always seems that way,but then agian thats what these forums are here for right?To help dig up the info thats really hard to find?and to share ideas?I know more than what most people would give me credit for...

Sixth,as far as the project goes,im not going to stop,ridicule me all you want,question my ideas all you want but i'm not going to give up.I'm currently in the process of emptying out my garage wich is currently my room.I've had to get rid of just about everything I own,all the furnitre,stereo equipment,nice tv everything.All of wich i paid for,
to make a suitable working space for the z,all that I have left of my life is two small boxes,(about a foot of cubic space each),that I own that contain personal things.I live in a 3 bedroom house with 7 people needless to say its quite cramped.In the end of cleaning up the garage I will have knocked down a closet wich was built in the middle of the garage,and my bed will ultimately end up being above a refrigerator and freezer ,becuase theer is no where else for me to sleep in this house.Money is not an issue,i'm in no rush to have this project done anytime soon,i'm willing to take my time and make sure everything turns out right the first time.My mom doesnt charge me for rent,and the only bill I have to pay is car insurance,so i'm not to concerned with money.I will also soon be out of school wich will allow me to go back to a full 40+ hours of work a week.I'm going into this project head first.Actually i've already gone into it head first.And regardless of the outcome I will have learned many things even if I totally **** up the engine or chassis somehwere along the line I will still have gained alot of knowledge from the experience.

So to concluded all of this,I want you to know that I am devoted,I do fully understand the extent of this project.and I do know what i am capable of..

just remember if theres a will theres a way.
and I've got one hell of a will.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:33 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

hey bro, i was never trying to knock you. but do understand that a lot of people on the internet are all talk. i think you should go for it, and would love to see the end results. dont be discouraged by these posts, use them as motivation to prove these guys wrong. but unfortunately, without some real evidence when you say these kind of things on the net, most people will call BS.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:23 AM

I know most of you guys arn't trying to knock me,but that above post is for the few who are.Thanks for the support,and whenever someone is like "it aint going to happen"
In my head i'm always like we'll see...
Old 10-29-2005, 07:28 AM

Thats a crazy law 86zman,but I want it street legal,so....
anyone seen a z31 with sidepipes?
Old 10-29-2005, 08:41 AM
Opinionated

Originally Posted by nis88300zx
when i went in for my Flowmasters i wanted Pipes that came out infront of my back tire but the guy said it was illegal to have it like that since it wasnt far enough behind the drivers seat.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:14 AM

I know most of you guys arn't trying to knock me,but that above post is for the few who are.Thanks for the support,and whenever someone is like "it aint going to happen"
I won't hold my breath. A lot of people have "talked" about it. I've never seen anyone actually do it. A lot of people have talked about swapping in the Z32s VG30DETT. I've yet to see anyone come in saying they've completed it. There's a whole lot of talk, but not a whole lot of action. Shall we find some of your old posts with a bunch of "what if..." questions and see what the status is of those other projects?

Attached Thumbnails Dual turbos vs twin turbos.-p1100872.jpg   Dual turbos vs twin turbos.-p1100873.jpg   Dual turbos vs twin turbos.-p1100876.jpg   Dual turbos vs twin turbos.-p1100877.jpg  

Last edited by AZ-ZBum; 10-29-2005 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:39 AM

How's your VG30DETT swap coming?
https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12034

How's your transaxle project moving along?
https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12560

Did you ever pick up your VG33 and start building it?
https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12732
https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13780

Did you find any parts for a four wheel steering system?
https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13128

What pistons did you end up getting?
https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14314

Flywheel and underdrive pulley?
https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14447

Your 240SX doors fit yet?
https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14754

And then of course, there is this thread. Be honest with yourself man. You're daydreaming and never going to do even 1/10th of the questions you've asked.

And what year Z31 do you own anyway? Your firsts posts say you have an 88 NA. Some later posts say you have an 88 turbo. Then later you mention picking up an 84 turbo. And another post says you are currently driving an 87NA.
88NA:
https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showth...8901#post68901
88T:
https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showth...2285#post62285
84T:
https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showth...2106#post72106
87NA:
https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showth...4733#post74733

Now I think you're just a 12 year old watching his older brother. Or a troll.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:30 PM

That is the strangest looking Z i have ever seen. Is it supposed to look like a Cobra? Whatever, that is weird.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:25 AM
East Coast Style

Dam Bum! You got a lot of time on your hands

But it's funny HUH
Old 10-30-2005, 12:29 PM
confuzed member

Attached Thumbnails Dual turbos vs twin turbos.-28516501696.jpg  
Old 10-30-2005, 10:46 PM

nice find bum, your not a PI by anychance are you?
Old 10-31-2005, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by emo236

and then some.....

My word man, stick with one project and follow through; otherwise, just invest in some Ridilin cause it's apparent that you may be suffering from A.D.D.; which means we're suffering from you A.D.D. also.

Keep it simple....buy a Honda.

I don't ever remember a computer electronics class in High School that ever dealt with turbocharging a vehicle. Your professor has probably just given up on you along with the rest of the short-bus crew. You have potential all right. Potential for what,...I'm not sure.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:21 AM
confuzed member

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
and then some.....

My word man, stick with one project and follow through; otherwise, just invest in some Ridilin cause it's apparent that you may be suffering from A.D.D.; which means we're suffering from you A.D.D. also.

Keep it simple....buy a Honda.

I don't ever remember a computer electronics class in High School that ever dealt with turbocharging a vehicle. Your professor has probably just given up on you along with the rest of the short-bus crew. You have potential all right. Potential for what,...I'm not sure.
Ouch! that was sooooo harsh 91! This guy is getting pwned sooooo badly right now!
Old 11-02-2005, 08:02 AM

I guess You really wern't kidding when you said you were an old man with no life.

Alright to start off I've learned quite a couple things since ive been here,
first off,I learend that swapping in the vg30dett is overated and I can get more bang for the buck from,the vg30et,or vg33 for that matter

As far as things such as the rear mounted tranny https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12560

Finding a vg33 block https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12732
https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13780

Figuring out the correct way to run a four wheel steering sysem https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13128

Piston sizes and material (bearings etc) https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14314

The flywheel and pulley https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14447

and grafting on a set of 240sx doors https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14754 go

I do and I mean do plan on doing all of these things.
but I cant just jump in and do something stupid.

I've got stacks of papers filled with info on how i plan on doing most of this stuff,but the fact of the mater is i cant do them all at once and I do need the appropraite space to do them in. wich I am working on now
Everyday I always think of better ways to accomplish these feets

I've got info on most of the stuff i'll be doing such as a list of all the parts I would like to use to build the engine,a list of things I would need to build a 4 wheels steering system.etc.

Basically what it comes down to is that I want to have everything planned out, becuase I do not want to do something stupid,and **** myself over.I've been taking this project one step at a time.and i'm getting closer everyday to having all the info I need on hand.When I feel that I have everything I need to make this car unlike any other,I will begin slowly to accomplish this project.All I seem to be waiting on now is getting my car in the garage so i can get her on a rotisserie,I will then be able so remove the front and rear crossmembers and begin taking measurements for the four wheel steering,and finally find out if a rear mounted tranny is possible on these cars.

And yes many times have I posted stating I'm in need of one of these or one of those,I dont mean i need one at that exact moment,but want to know where I can get it later on down the line,and I am quite sorry if i have ever been misleading.on things like that

I've been on zdriver for a good year ,year and a half now,but ive been conjuring up ideas way before I knew this site even existed,this site has tuaght me so many diffrent things, your site too zbum, and z31.com and zcar.com,I have learned most of what I can and cannot do to my car.I used to want to have the most sweetest car of all time,(I still do) but not everything is possible.I had way more many plans 2 years ago for my car then i do now,but I can honestly say i've learned whats possible and whats not.I used to want to construct a hood the was split down the middle,would lift up slide out and land besides the fenders.but its just not practical.Theres not enough space in the engine bay for actuators,and with the flared fendersm on an 88 300zx it just wouldn;t look right.thats just one of the many ideas i've dropped since ive ben here.

No matter what I say and what I do I know theres always gunna be people who critize me for the way I think.
Theres nothing I can do about it.I've tried to show you time and time agian zbum, that im not as dumb as you think I am,
but, I have a feeling that you'll always think that way about me, and honestly I really dont care.when the day comes and I finish my car.I will feel like one awesome mother ****er.and I wil be happy.

So to conclude this sensless arguing,I guess i'll tell you, think what you want but no matter what,I will finish this project and when I get done it will be one hell of a z.

Btw I own a 87n/a a 88t and my step dad (who lives with me) owns the 84t.
In this thread
https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showth...8901#post68901
i said i own an 88n/a sorry that must have abeen a typo.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:22 AM

So to conclude this sensless arguing,I guess i'll tell you, think what you want but no matter what,I will finish this project and when I get done it will be one hell of a z.
And we look forward to seeing it. Be sure to document everything as you'll be doing a lot of things that no one else has done. The more you document, the better a magazine article would be.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:54 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

i'll be the first to congratulate you when you show some proof of these things being done. take lots of pictures, and keep detailed records of the processes you used to perform these mods. once you get started, post a progress thread and keep us updated on how it's going.

Quick Reply: Dual turbos vs twin turbos.