300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

No power to climate control or aftermarket sound.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 08:34 AM

No power to climate control or aftermarket sound.

i bought my Z31 turbo for 700 cash, it runs and drives... and thats about it.

i need help repairing, replacing, or fixing, my climate control and kenwood tape deck... i removed them from the dash, and everything seems to be plugged in. where do i start?
Old 01-13-2011, 11:04 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Welcome to Zdriver. Lots of knowledgeable, helpful people on here. Your best bet would be to get a Haynes or FSM manual for your Z. Otherwise be patient, and somebody will help you out. Good luck man.

Also, good score on that turbo Z. You got a smoking deal!
Old 01-13-2011, 07:00 PM

First check for voltage, then fuses, if the climate control and tape deck is out then i would think its a fuse. Maybe even one of the fuseable links in front of the battery. But check for voltage and we can work from there. What instrument cluster do you have? digital, analog? and does it work?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:34 AM

thanks,

my 86 turbo has a digi cluster... basically right now the only thing it can do is start, idle, and a to b. right now im saving up for a new p/s pump, pulley, and belt. but in the meantime i want to do something about the clim. cont. and tapedeck.

everything seems to be connected, but then again its a huge mess... is there somehting i should be looking for around the battery or would it be by the deck and c.c.? im sure the fuses are o.k. but i might not even know if im lookin in the irght spot.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:37 AM

oh and,

how do i check voltage? i dont have any of the proper equipment, but my neighbor used to be a certified GM mechanic and has some of the tools i need. will i need one of those voltage meters?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:42 AM

sorry,

i keep forgetting things that i read so i keep posting in pieces.

my digital cluster works great.

the digital clock on the climate control panel works... if that means anything.... i plugged that in when i was first in the dash pokin around for familiarity.

the man. def. button on the top of my climate control panel has a light next to it... an orange one. so i think its gettin some kind of power..
Old 01-14-2011, 08:52 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

All you need to test with is a simple multimeter. I have one I bought at Radio Shack over 10 years ago. That is what I test with the most. Your Haynes or FSM will tell you how to test, and what voltage they should be. Good luck man.
Here is the link to getting the FSM for free.
http://www.xenonzcar.com/
Old 01-14-2011, 09:08 AM

those links...

the links to the owner manual n stuff dont work on xenon, my cousin sent me there already. but im sure i can order one from autozone or something...
Old 01-14-2011, 09:22 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by SoNotaMechanic
the links to the owner manual n stuff dont work on xenon, my cousin sent me there already. but im sure i can order one from autozone or something...
Sorry man. Contact NismoPick, maybe he can direct you to the correct link. And yeah, a Haynes manual would be a good start anyway.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:34 AM

Haynes

i just ordered a haynes manual. i sure it will help.. if not then i have something worth putting in my glove box lol.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

http://www.xenonz31.com/reference.html

use this link to get the fsm. take the appropriate pages for the electrical schematics down to kinkos on a thumb drive and have them blow them up 11x17. this will give you an electric schematic that you can read more easily. Find a book like electricity for dummies and read that so you have some idea of how an electric system operates. Any analog (dial and needle) VOM will do fine. Harbor Freight has them for under $20. Digitals are a waste of money for most automotive work and the analog simpler for a novice to learn to operate. On Jap schematics the letter L stands for blue wire color (this one throws a lot of folks). Oh yeah learn to read a schematic! there is actually a fairly good how to on schematics in the front of the fsm electrical section. Read and learn grasshopper
Old 01-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Lurker

One day my wife's Trans Am needed a jump, so i boosted it with my 87 300zx NA. When I did, it shorted the radio which blew the fuse , so the climate control or radio didn't work. However, the manual defroster still worked. When I unplugged the radio and changed the fuse, the c.c. would work. When I would plug in the radio, it would blow the fuse. I changed the radio and its been fine since.