300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Issues with my "new" 87

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 03:31 PM

Issues with my "new" 87

I just purchased my first Z yesterday and I love the thing.

However, there are a few issues I need help with. I did a search and fixed a few already but these are the ones I wasn't able to find useful information on. If I missed something, sorry.

1. No horn. This is a big one because I can't get the car registered without it. I've check the fuse and it's fine. It was working up until recently according to the previous owner. Only change since he last used it (set off car alarm) was having Best Buy put in a new radio and speakers.

2. No A/C. Not to big of a deal for me with the t-tops and windows rolled down.

3. Engine Temperature gauge not working on the analog dash. Everything else works fine. Previous owner said it would fluctuate between working and not working, now it doesn't work at all.

4. Hot air always blowing onto the windshield, even with the unit set to off. No switches (foot/bi-level/face) seem to work or change anything.

5. Car idled low and rough along with short term loss of power after taking it through a car wash. While I was going through the car wash the tach started showing RPM's bouncing between 400-800. After I left it was sluggish. It seemed to of corrected itself after being driven (perhaps whatever it was dried off?)

All in all I love this car and hope to get these issues fixed soon and get the car running to it's best. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Lurker

1. Check the horn relay for the horn problem.
3. The wire for the sender is probably corroded. Check the single wire on the intake above #1.
5. Double check ignition system. It could be a cracked cap or a loose spark plug wire.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:52 PM

Thanks, I'll check those out for 3,5.

I replaced the relay earlier today and found it didn't do any different. However, I did break the lid covering the one that was in there originally as I was trying to remove it, and manually pressed the metal piece over to make the connection and the horn sounded just fine. So I'm guessing it's something between the horn and the relay. I've already removed the horn cover and made sure the contacts weren't corroded and that the wire was on correctly all all that's fine too.

The person who I got it from had Best Buy put in a radio and speakers. They didn't do a correct job as he told me even with the car off (which does shut off the stereo) that the unit still draws power and will kill the battery unless the unit is manually powered off first. I haven't tested what he said, though.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:22 PM

For the horn, make sure the plastic ring between the steering wheel and turn signal/wiper switch is fully seated against the back of the steering wheel.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by joshers21
For the horn, make sure the plastic ring between the steering wheel and turn signal/wiper switch is fully seated against the back of the steering wheel.
That was exactly the problem. The horn works now!!

I found this http://www.xenonz31.com/steeringwheelglltogl.html link that also talked about the plastic piece. It seems that when the PO had the turn signal stalk replaced. When they replaced it they busted up the plastic piece that holds the signals. And then pushed the plastic part too far forward so the contact wasn't being depressed in fully making the connection. I took it off and threw some epoxy on it to piece it back together then put it on right and not the horn works :-)

Thanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by joshers21
That was it. The horn works! I pulled off the steering wheel and the plastic turn signal housing was in pieces. I used some epoxy to put it back together and made sure I followed the advised here and moved the piece forward since it was too far back on the column. Put it all back together and it works.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:03 PM

OK, I've attempted to post that it was fixed twice now but it seems to not like me providing a link to what led me to the fix. It's pretty much what joshers21 stated though. The plastic housing for the turn signal was broken in pieces and pushed to far down the steering column.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:31 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ Fixed.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
^^^ Fixed.

lol, Thanks. Although now it looks like I was spamming.

Oh well, at least I know it works now. Thanks again.