300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Intercooler Pipe Fitment (Plumb Purdee)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Distinquished Guest

Talking Intercooler Pipe Fitment (Plumb Purdee) New Pics 07.02

Previous Build Threads...
Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3

I'm working on the fitment for my intake plumbing. I believe this is the route I'll use because, well, I like it. I still have to have the bung for the BOV, and, a couple of nipples for idle controls welded into place. With some minor adjustments this set-up will work great, and look good.

Hand Polished Aluminum Pipes

I'm putting the air cleaner and MAF on the right side. I have a good shot of cool, fresh air there, and the left side is a little crowded at this point.

I'm fabricating an aluminum radiator tunnel. Every cubic inch of air entering the nose of the car will be forced into the I/C and radiator. About 40% will bypass the I/C and go direct to the radiator.

Another angle of the tunnel under construction

Oh! I'm now the proud owner of some new Kirkey "Lounge Chairs". Yes, they will be well padded, and, covered. I'm bad, but, not that bad.

While playing with aluminum, I'm boxing in the rear hatch area to cover the fuel cell, fill tube, and battery. There are some other interior locations that will benefit from from this sheet of aluminum I'm whackin' up, too.

That's all for now. Will be back soon with more.

Last edited by johnZboy; 07-02-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:30 PM
eff good grammar

i'll let you work on my car for free, as long as you leave the interior.

looks nice, i am diggin the hammermill on the valve covers, i may do something like that on mine
Old 06-23-2008, 01:23 PM

Wow.
Nice build johnZboy.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Distinquished Guest

Cool Finished I/C Pipes and Air Box...

I completed the fitment of the I/C piping, and had the nipples welded in place for the BOV and for the idle controls. I finished putting together the air box which will direct and capture the air needed to make the I/C, radiator, and oil cooler work. The seats are tacked in and fit nicely. There is still much to do, but, the list is getting shorter.

BOV in place and all the joints are clamped

I need to learn how to weld aluminum. It's pretty, and, pricey. Not only could I save a ton of money, I could probably make quite a bit.

The air box (what else could I call it?) is buttoned up and sealed. Assuming the air will follow the path of least resistance, it will have to flow through the I/C and radiator

Another pic of the box. Notice the fan cooled oil cooler hanging there in mid-air. I have a plan.

Oil cooler lines exiting the box.

No box is complete without a "box top". The 12v fan on the oil cooler will pull air down through the cooler into the box. It may generate a little extra air flow to the radiator, but, that's just theory. The top will keep the air from by-passing the radiator, and going directly into the engine bay.

Grrrrrrr!

To insure the oil cooler gets a blast of unheated air I've provided some ventilation. The vent holes will be screened and the hood will be clear coated prior to the official debut, but, this gives you an idea of how I'm gonna' keep this hot-rod cool.

Getting the seats "just so". They gotta' be perfect because there will be no adjustment rails or seat-back tilt handles.

Oh Yeah! I'm grinnin' because I might even get to fire this beast up and go play before summer is gone.

Oh well, back to work. There is still more that needs doing. There is an ECU to wire, a "painless" harness to install, an interior to complete and finish, a fuel cell to plumb, and, on, and, on, and, on....bleh
Old 07-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Usedta be Justin260z

Amazing progress, that makes me want to start working on mine. Do you know of any flow charts comparing the stock z31 intake mani and a modified one like yours?
Old 07-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Distinquished Guest

Originally Posted by justin260z
Amazing progress, that makes me want to start working on mine. Do you know of any flow charts comparing the stock z31 intake mani and a modified one like yours?
Thanks... There were some flow charts on redz31.com that I had linked to. When you ask about flow charts I was going to point you to that information. Unfortunately, redz31.com is missing from the intraweb and the link is dead. So I removed the busted link (you helped discover this problem), and, I can find no other information on the subject. Sorry.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:52 AM

It's now at redz31.net.

John. Your car is turning out to be amazing. Very impressive build. I bet you're getting anxious to drive it. It's been down again for how long?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Distinquished Guest

Originally Posted by AZ-ZBum
It's now at redz31.net.

John. Your car is turning out to be amazing. Very impressive build. I bet you're getting anxious to drive it. It's been down again for how long?
Thanx for the updated on Jason's intraweb location, and, the props on the build. My baby's been parked over two years (sighs)... Soon, it will be done, again.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:32 PM

John,
I'm with ZBum. Each new set of pics you post are impressive.
The amount of original thought and fabrication that's going into your baby will make it truly one-of-a-kind.
Hope it continues to progress the way you hope it will.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Distinquished Guest

Originally Posted by jtz31ae
John,
I'm with ZBum. Each new set of pics you post are impressive.
The amount of original thought and fabrication that's going into your baby will make it truly one-of-a-kind.
Hope it continues to progress the way you hope it will.
Me too... Thanx...
Old 07-17-2008, 08:38 AM

Location: I'm located in the more southern local... Jackson, MS.
I have just a few things to add. John, first off; your Z was one of the best I'd ever seen. Second... The only other Z that has spiked my "fancy" as much as yours, was the blue "drift" Z31 a guy named CrabSpirits did on a drift forum a while back (some of you that have been here for a while would remember his radical roll-pan and grafted spoiler/wing thing).

Other than that, John... Your Z (correct me if I'm wrong... but wasn't it an N/A?) Has come a long way, and is now IMO The Coolest Z31 on Zdriver!

So, I salute to you, and cheer you on!
Old 10-17-2008, 02:47 PM

Wow! That is really some nice fabrication you've done there. I wish I had the time and equipment to do all that.