300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

hazard flasher unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 02:43 PM

hazard flasher unit

Having some troubles with my Hazard lights, the indicators work, but not the hazard lights. I assume the 'hazard warning flasher" unit is broken, however I cannot find it. My book says it should be below the dash, and above the steering column. Any help on how to find it, or what it looks like would be appreciated.
I think there should be two canister-like units, one for the indicator, one for the hazards.

P.S.
By the way it's an 84 Z31 NT, RHD(Australia)
Old 11-08-2005, 10:22 PM

I've found one unit by listening for a clicking sound when the indicator is on. Taking this out will stop the indicator from working, however i'm not sure if there should be another for the hazard lights or not.
Does anybody know if there are two seperate units for the indicators and hazards?

My book says there is, but I can't find it
Old 11-09-2005, 12:39 AM

try above the fuse box under the steering wheel (RHD)
Old 11-09-2005, 06:19 PM

there are a bunch of things that look like relays, could any of there be responsible? How can i recognise it?
Old 11-10-2005, 05:08 AM

well if its dead, your not going to find it in a hurry! take the indicator flasher out, and swap it into other spots, when your hazzards work, thats the one, if no go, then its not a flasher and more switch area.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:13 AM

hazard flashers are generally round. I haven't actually had to change one on a Z31 yet. There are manuals available for download at http://www.carfiche.com . If your year isn't currently available, one of the other years of the same model will work for you at least temporarily. Keep in mind most of the manuals are for LHD cars. Some things may be reversed for your car.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:59 PM

Do the signals work normal? I assume yes, so we don't have any blown bulbs. When you activate the flashers does anything happen? Do the lights on the dash come on? I assume no, so the first place I would look is in the fuse box. There are 2 fuses in there that give power to the hazard switch. One is constant 12vdc the other is activated when the ignition is on. My car has a hazard fuse on the lefthand side of the box(hazard)5th from bottom(10A). The other is 4th from top in the middle row(10A), turn signal, backup lamp, voice warning unit, vaccuum pump, boost sensor, etc. If your signals work this one is probably not the one to look at. Try the first one.
Now, if your lights on the dash are working I would think there would be a connector somewhere that has come unplugged b/c there is one wire that goes to the right side and one that goes to the left. I wouldn't think both of those broke at the same time. You could have a bad connection somewhere and the turn signals still perform properly b/c there are seperate wires for the signal and hazard switches. I am going by what is in the Haynes electrical schematic.