300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

electrical

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 10:55 PM

Location: I'm located in the more southern local... Jackson, MS.
electrical

Alright... I have a few questions here... first off, I have an aftermarket stereo system that was in my car before I got my hands on it... it's a Dynex unit (look-a-like Alpine) they sold them at Bestbuy... well I took it out to wire in some subs, well... I also had problems with my speaker channels, and found only three red wires, and three blue wires for speaker inputs. I don't understand this... yes I have the 6 speaker set up, tweaters in the dash, 6 1/2's in the doors, and 6 1/2's in the rear... what I don't understand is why I only have three wires that were attatched to the harness for speaker input/output. I don't understand this and need someone to fill me in. My second question is about my driverside window, and power mirror controls... they don't work. I need information on that as well... and probably the stupidest question is about the headlights... I want to know how to turn the headlights on without popping them up, seeing as I'm going to buy those aero headlight covers tomorrow. I know that's totally stupid to ask, I should have figured it out myself, but I have no manual on this car, which also another buy tomorrow ... and really no idea about the electrical system in my car... keep in mind it is an '86 300zx non turbo with manual trans. Any insight would be highly appreciated.

JD
Old 05-30-2005, 11:07 PM

well, I work at best buy, and not to bash your deck, but the dynex is pure ****. Dynex is best buy's private label, and it's all put together and made at a low budget company elsewhere. The markup on dynex things are insane, store cost is crazy cheap, like close to 70% cheaper. If you still have the booklet with install, I'd get that, and figure out what wires leaving the deck are for your speakers, and then take your speakers out and find the colors, and attach the two together yourself.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:45 PM

The diagram in my Hayne's manual shows a red wire going to each of the right hand side speakers. There is also a red/white wire that goes to the left hand side.The left hand speakers show a wire labeled L which I assume is Lavender. All left hand sides also show a lavender/white wire.
Instead of using the stock wiring or whatever someone else has installed you should run your own wires. That way there is no confusion as to what goes where. I replaced all the speakers in mine w/ Blaupunkt speakers and stereo and ran my own wires. That way I know all the colors and I know where the wires are routed.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:44 PM

https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6499
Maybe this will help.