300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Could you help me? unknown distributor's cable

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 04:55 PM

Could you help me? unknown distributor's cable

Hello my name is Marlon and first things first my ride is an a 1984 300zx non turbo, I bought it with the Tbelt already broke (I didn't that about interference engine) and for last, English is not my language but I'll do my best and I hope what I know will be enough.

of coarse I have a lot of questions but one of those right now I think is the most important

on the distributor there's a black cable that I don't know where it goes, I think it could be just a ground cable (since is black) or maybe something more important also I think I found an a "possible" place where it could go since looks like there is where it was pulled off please watch the pictures and if you can help I Really appreciate it.

for other side another questions are

Can I start the car without the "cooling" stuff? I mean without water hoses water pump pulley, etc even dont put the timing covers according to me is possible just been careful dont let it get hot I mean maybe just 1min to do this, the big deal of this is that I don't wanna keep spending money and time in a car what wont run I rebuild the heads and I did already and a first test with all back in place but the result was not good it didn't start maybe 2 times almost started but in some of the tries I heard horrible noises like metal to metal knocking and I got scared (since all the time has been on my mind that is an inteference motor and a li'l mistake and you are destroyind your engine) so I took all off again recheck and everything was right so I put all back again and I did another try but the same thing happened until the starter die so I'm still wonder if that sound was the starter or was the motor I have roting it by hand and in some places is a lil bit hard turn it but turns IS NOT STOCK Right now I'm gonna get another starter a god battery put the cable that I asked help and see what happens
Attached Thumbnails Could you help me? unknown distributor's cable-.jpg   Could you help me? unknown distributor's cable-1-.jpg  
Old 05-25-2011, 06:15 PM

I think that wire runs to a capacitor on the wheel well on the drivers side.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:03 PM

The black wire on the distributor is the ground. It connects next to the ignition coil. And u can't run an engine without the cooling system. It is very harmful to the engine. As for the metal sounds. U need the timing on all ur gears correct or ur engine will destroy its self. Do u have the timing belt on at all?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by Flacster
The black wire on the distributor is the ground. It connects next to the ignition coil. And u can't run an engine without the cooling system. It is very harmful to the engine. As for the metal sounds. U need the timing on all ur gears correct or ur engine will destroy its self. Do u have the timing belt on at all?
It's not going to hurt anything as long as you don't get it hot.

As for the noise, make sure you have oil, then check for oil pressure. Pull the coil wire off and turn it over with the starter and see if you hear it. If you can still hear the noise turning it over then check for the easy stuff. check the ring gear for grind marks, check distributor gear..etc if everything checks out pull the motor and go through it.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:10 AM
West Coast!

Talking

Originally Posted by hoov100
It's not going to hurt anything as long as you don't get it hot.

As for the noise, make sure you have oil, then check for oil pressure. Pull the coil wire off and turn it over with the starter and see if you hear it. If you can still hear the noise turning it over then check for the easy stuff. check the ring gear for grind marks, check distributor gear..etc if everything checks out pull the motor and go through it.
and this is coming from the guy who put water in his chevy 350 and ran it till it died!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:12 PM

solved

issue fixed yes it was the ground thank you