300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Clutch Not Engaging/Disengaging!!!! Leaking Fluid!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 04:35 PM

Clutch Not Engaging/Disengaging!!!! Leaking Fluid!!!!!!!

What do I have to replace to remedy a leaky clutch. I'm thinking Slave Cilinder or Master Cilinder. I will fill and clutch will work fine and latter on that day my pedal will only come half way up, and it is is hard to engage/disengage. What do I need to replace is my question??????????
Old 02-23-2006, 04:47 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by numb1300z
What do I have to replace to remedy a leaky clutch. I'm thinking Slave Cilinder or Master Cilinder.
What do I need to replace is my question??????????

um... I'd start w/ what's leaking. Can you tell where the leak is coming from?
Old 02-23-2006, 04:55 PM

No havent gotten under the car yet cause it started today, deffintaly under the car tho, just a joke. But from my previous expirence with hydrolic clutches I wass just guessing that it was a slave or master cilinder, but thank you for giving me hope that it is something smaller. What usually goes in this area I heard something about O-rings or something.

Last edited by numb1300z; 02-23-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:03 PM

There are very few things that can leak fluid from the clutch system. It's either the clutch master cylinder, the slave cylinder, or one of the clutch lines. Fix it immediately. you dont want to be stuck somewhere with a clutch that doesn't work cause you put off fixing something so simple. Any of those parts are a quick easy job to replace so dont sweat it being difficult.

And when the master or slave cylinder goes it's usually cause the internal seal is no longer sealing in the clutch fluid. Lines dont usually just start leaking all of a sudden though, so I'd put my money on either the clutch or slave cylinder.

Last edited by jfairladyz; 02-23-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:15 PM

very good. now go replace both the master and slave cylinders and be done with it.

You need permission to tie your shoes in the morning as well? Come on man. You know what the problem is, now go fix it.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:48 PM

Thanks guys I'll have to do both tommorow. Any writeups so I can do it myself and save some $$$$$. Writeups or walkthroughs will be great, I own a 86 N/A. Get paid tommorow but have manny things to take of. so if anyone could gelp me do it myself.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:01 PM
The Good Twin

Post from other thread:

Anyone have any writeups or walkthroughs for slave & master cilinder replacement. I'm on a budget so I need to do it myself. I own a 86 N/A.

Replacing them is quite simple & like Jfairladyz said: Pick up a Haynes manual.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:09 PM

Thanks but my local auto parts store (of corse) dosent have any manuals for any generation Z's only Civics and Accords and Camrys definitley not Z31's. Trying to get th is done ASAP tommorow cause I got a HOT date tommorow nite. If the Z is not rite that will mess up my pu$$y plans. An when I say HOT date I mean HOT, definatley not missable, **** I'll get my sis to get me a rental if I have too. But I'd rather be in my BABY or else I'll miss her.

Anyone know how much for your average shop to take of (labor costs & and parts seperateley)????

Last edited by numb1300z; 02-23-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:07 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

find a haynes manual. order one off the net if you have to. however you do it, get one. it will make life a lot easier when you have to work on the car. those manuals are the best money i have ever spent on any of my cars. unfortunately, they never made one for the z32, so i now have to decipher the FSM.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:23 AM

buy the parts.
Look at them.
Look at your car.
Look at the parts again.
Look at the parts on your car.
Now look at the parts where they are supposed to be on your car.

If you can't figure out how to take out two bolts, two nuts, a cotter pin, and two fluid lines, you have no business being around tools and especially no business being under your car.

Seriously. It is that simple.

And I find it hard to believe there is only one auto parts store in your town. If you have to, drive to another nearby town and pick one up.

Buy the HAYNES manual. The Chiltons manual is worthless.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:12 AM

WHENEVER I buy a vehicle, the first thing I do, before I even get the damn thing home, is go buy a Haynes manual. I've lived in some butt F@#% towns where the parts stores didnt carry the manual I needed but if they didnt they could usually have one in within a couple of days. And if you buy the manual to begin with then when something like this happens you'll be prepared. So regardless of whether it's too late to use the manual right now or not, you should still order one so you'll have one in the future.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:28 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
I've lived in some butt F@#% towns where the parts stores didnt carry the manual I needed but if they didnt they could usually have one in within a couple of days.

yep... or u can also buy one on ebay. Last I checked, the USPS still sends mail to B-F-E.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...spagenameZWDVW

$5 + $3.55 shipping to my house (using shipping calc).... I think that's about how much they cost @ AutoZone. And ya don't even have to leave your house to own it!
Old 02-24-2006, 04:40 PM

Actually, I think the last time I looked they were at $16.95 at Pep Boys.

Still worth the money.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:08 PM

Yeah everyone i got the cilynders today, I can see how to due it and as i posted in a new thread this morning my problem is getting the freaking winsheild washer fluid resivour to come off or slide up. But the funny thing is since I looked at it earlier it hasent done the funny clutch pedal thing at all today and I was out all day driving to workshoops 4 my job and other ****.. I've got the master and slave ridin in back with me so at the first sign I'll swap em out.

And as far as the manual I'll get one soon but never really needed one b4 because I CAN but most of the time dont bue my own labor. This week was just very tight. And cant miss this date im bout to get dressed 4.