300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 10:29 AM

Exclamation clicking noise

My car just recently started making a rythmic clicking noise from the pass side of the motor. It's in time with the engine and goes up with rpm's. It sounds like its coming from under the valve cover.

What could be some things that would cause this noise? And what would be entailed in repairing it?

This is a 84 turbo.

I think it has something to do with the valves or lifters or something but I'm not sure. I've never had to work on something like that. Any suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:04 PM

Have you checked your oil level and what is your oil pressure reading? If the oil level is good and the pressure is good I would say you have a lifter problem. The lifters are non adjustable so if they get noisy you have to replace them from what I am told. If the oil pressure in mine drops below 30psi I can hear mine. Hopefully your problem is just that your oil level is low or it is in need of changing. You have to change the oil religiously in a turbo engine.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:48 PM

Well its due for a change so i'll do that this weekend. I havent checked the level, but it doesnt consume much, if any, and I don't have any leaks.

My pressure gauge is busted, I think its the sending unit. It reads pressure when I stand still but when I get going it drops to nothing. It's done that since i've had the car. and the oil temp just never worked at all.

If I want to replace the lifters, do I have to change all of them at once? Or can I just change the one/ones that I suspect?
Old 10-12-2005, 10:57 PM

it could also be a blown exhaust gasket.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:42 AM

i just recently noticed the same exact problem on my 84 n/a. My pressure reads just a little below 30, that sound gets annoying after a while, makes my aftermarket exhaust sound like crap too. Where is a good place to get replacement lifters and where could i find a guide on how to replace them?
Old 10-14-2005, 12:45 AM

Lifters can be rebuilt. lifters create a slight tapping sound, get a long screw driver and sit it on the valve cover and put your ear on the handle to listen to vibrations felt.

heres a link to rebuilding lifters that are noisy.

http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~radar...errebuild.html
Old 10-14-2005, 06:26 AM

That is the best news i have had in a long time, thank you so much for that link. I was thinking that i needed to do a rebuild on the engine to fix this problem, but something that seems so big, can be fixed so easily. Once again, thanks a ton for that information.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:29 AM

I thought about it being the exhaust gasket, but I've noticed it tends to come and go. It does it at startup, then after a few minutes it stops. Then if I drive at highway speeds (70-100) when I slow down again, it's making the tapping noise. Sometimes it stops making the noise before shutdown, and sometimes it keeps making it untill next startup.

I will use the screwdriver method to check. I was planning to use a hose but then I have to find a hose to cut up.

Thanks for the link.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:41 PM

I rebuilt the pass side valve lifters. I'm pretty sure it was the #5 intake valve lifter. I rebuilt all of them just to be on the safe side. Clicking is gone.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:59 AM

anytime mate that didnt take too long lol
Old 10-18-2005, 01:43 AM

holy crap man, its amazing how similar our problems were with these vehicles. Mine would also come and go, and usually start clicking after about 10 minutes of driving or less, sometimes it will be there, sometimes it wont. Kinda wierd. I was given a guide on how to rebuild the lifters, but is there also a guide somewhere to take the engine apart to get to the lifters?
Old 10-20-2005, 04:01 AM

just take the plunum off and remove the valve covers then remove valve train its 6 bolts on each bank from memory not a really big job, just be careful an clean
Old 10-21-2005, 06:48 PM

so will i need to buy any new gaskets or parts for this job?
Old 10-22-2005, 08:18 AM

If you plan on only doing the passenger side, that's what I did, you don't need to remove the plenum.

If you have never replaced the valve cover gaskets it would be wise to replace them now. I replaced mine recently so I just reused them. Also make sure you use sealant to ensure a leak free cover.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:56 AM

ok it looks like i need to go buy a haynes manual, i have no clue what the heck the plenum is. I know the general area where the heads and lifters are, but i think this will end up taking me quite a while to do since i have no knowledge of how to work on an engine. Its just going to have to be a learning experience for me. I really do appreciate all the help you guys have given me on my z, you are life savers. (not the candy hehe)
Old 11-01-2005, 05:25 AM

time

How long did it take to rebuild the lifts on the passenger side?
Old 11-02-2005, 01:56 AM

once the manifold was off it took around 30 mins to do, do the drivers side first for practice. suppose its the same way as doing the passenger side first then moving onto the drivers side. If your thinking about doing just one bank, do both to make sure you don't have to touch them again.

BTW: never tip lifters on their side, they suck air in preventing from lubrication, thus, tapping lifters.

if you want you can try using a heavier grade oil, that may cure the problem a little.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:49 PM

My 88 NA did the same thing. I put in 50W oil in now and add Lucas oil treatment and the ticking is gone.