300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

3" Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 08:34 PM

3" Exhaust

Well, my exhaust finally rusted out, so I had a decent fab shop run 3" aluminum anodized pipe. They did a kick *** job. I wish I would've thought to bring my good camera to take some pics. I did snap a few pics with my phone while he was working on it. Sorry about the crappy pics.
It's a little louder and has a deeper rumble. It definitely feels faster, and redlines quite a bit quicker. Now all I need is an intercooler. I may have the same shop help me out with that. The dude can do just about anything. I was rather surprised to see that he had a competiton tractor and monster truck in there. The guy obviously does some nice work and is no stranger to making power modifications. And this was just some shop out in the country, in the middle of a corn field. LOL
Attached Thumbnails 3" Exhaust-001.jpg   3" Exhaust-002.jpg   3" Exhaust-003.jpg   3" Exhaust-004.jpg   3" Exhaust-img00047-20090624-1155.jpg  

3" Exhaust-img00052-20090624-1156.jpg  

Last edited by SloppyGoat; 06-25-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Ruff Ryder

if the fab shop is decent why is it crush bent?

lol, either way anything is better then stock.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:40 PM

It's not. What are you talking about? How the hell do you expect it to be bent? If you saw it more clearly, you could see that there is no real significant taper in the bends. Nothing that would cause any restriction. Trust me. The pipe is huge! The biggest restriction is the muffler, now. It's hard to see with that stand in the way. I think the pic may make it look more crushed than it really is. The lighting is weird. You're not going to find many shops with mandrel bending capabilities. Around here, the chances would be about zero. LOL About the only way you're going to get mandrel bent pipes is to buy them that way. I'll be more worried about the intercooler piping than the exhaust, when I get to that. I'm not really building a race car anyway. It's just my daily driver.

Last edited by SloppyGoat; 06-25-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by SloppyGoat
It's not. What are you talking about? Nothing is crushed. How the hell do you expect it to be bent? The pics suck. If you saw it more clearly, you could see that there is no real significant taper in the bends. Nothing that would cause any restriction. Trust me. The pipe is huge! The biggest restriction is the muffler, now.
I'll let the internet do the talking this time, but either way your not really pushing enough power to have any gains or losses using a crush bent system (which btw you have.)

heres the very brief description of manually bending pipe
http://www.oceanmachinery.com/how-to...e-and-tube.htm

nothing that would cause any restriction huh?

and a quick read on the basics of them.

Originally Posted by some guy on f150 forum
You have 2 exhaust manifolds which follow through 2 downpipes into 2 front catalytic convertors. Then the exhaust on each side bends from diagonally down to pointing straight back on each side. At this point there are the 2 rear catalytic convertors. Then, the passenger side goes straight back into the Y pipe and the driver side comes across to join in as well. Then the one pipe comes out of the ypipe and goes back a few feet where it clamps into the muffler. After the muffler it goes over the top of the axle and then out behind the rear wheel (unless yours exits in front of the rear wheel in which case it never goes over the axle).

Flowmaster 50 and 50 Delta Flows will not be too obnoxious. Some of the Magnaflow products will also be quieter but still provide a decent sounding V8 tone. If you want to keep it mellow/queiter then use 2.5 inch piping, a single muffler, and single exhaust out. If you are making the upgrade because you want better performance than nothing will beat your HP/TQ increase from going to real dual exhaust which will need to be installed by a shop or someone with a welder. To do this you need to have the y-pipe cut off and replaced by two pipes, an X or H crossover pipe, and then either a dual in/dual out muffler or two (2) single in/single out mufflers.

I know guys on other car forums seem to like the Dynomax super turbos if you are trying to keep it moderate in volume yet still have a good sound. They also like them because of their low purchase price. The same thing goes for the SummitRacing branded mufflers... most of them are made by dynomax.

To elaborate above on the mandrel bends... it's a necessity. Anyone who tells you otherwise just doesn't know the difference. In a 2.5" exhaust system the crush bends used will shrink down to less than 2" of internal diameter. Since your exhaust system is only as big as the smallest pipe (when trying to calculate maximum flow and resistance) you would have to compare the 2.5" crush bend system to a 2" mandrel bend system. Also, by using crush bends you greatly increase the turbulence in your exhaust at each bend which reduces power and exhaust flow.

A mandrel bent system does not reduce the pipe size in the bends which is why it will flow much better for the same size pipe. This additional flow, and no loss of velocity through the bends, actually increases your power without more sound or using larger pipes... it's why it's better but also more expensive. I'm not saying that a 2.5" crush bent system is bad... just that it's not as good as a mandrel bent system. A 2.5" crush bent is still far better than stock.

See the comparison picture below..

And finally... many automakers have used Crinkle Bends. This has mostly stopped, however not entirely. Cheaper made cars still use crinkle bends. These are probably the cheapest and worst bends as they don't shrink down as much as a crush bend, however they add the most turbulence which is why they offer the least flow.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:11 PM

Yeah, I know the difference, but if you saw it, you could clearly see that it is not crushed anywhere near enough to cause any restriction. Nothing like those exaggerated examples. LOL I guarantee there is not one section of the pipe that's restricting anything as much as the muffler tips. I looked at the inside of the pipes before he welded them. It's nowhere near what you're showing above.

Thanks for criticizing.

Last edited by SloppyGoat; 06-25-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:30 PM
Ruff Ryder

Yeah, I know the difference, but if you saw it, you could clearly see that it is not crushed anywhere near enough to cause any restriction. Nothing like those exaggerated examples. LOL I guarantee there is not one section of the pipe that's restricting anything as much as the muffler tips. I looked at the inside of the pipes before he welded them. It's nowhere near what you're showing above.

Thanks for criticizing.
yeah, those pics are the deffinition of exaggeration, but what is cooler then saying you hand built your exhaust at the track?
Old 06-25-2009, 11:37 PM

I'm not going to the track, man. Like I said, it's just a daily driver. It's not going to matter if the final bend in my exhaust has 1/32 inch less space before it goes into the muffler, which is definitely the biggest restriction. Know what I mean? I'm not really that concerned about it. If I did it myself, then yeah, I'd be more of a perfectionist. But in this case, it really isn't an issue. I was going for cheap and as effective as cheap gets. I didn't pay $600 bucks for it. Someday, the car may put 300HP to the ground, and that's probably all. I'm not going for 600HP or anything.

Last edited by SloppyGoat; 06-25-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:12 PM

Here's a better view. It's really not too crimped at all. Sure, it loses a tiny bit in the bends, but it is definitely not too restricted with this monster pipe! You should hear it. It sounds great now. Nice deep rumble with no real rapping off. It doesn't sound like an open pipe or anything, since I have a muffler on it. It's barely a restriction either, since it's a straight through muffler.
I'll see if I can get a decent recording with something. It's hard to capture the sound, but it really sounds kick *** now. I think it would rap off, if it had any less back pressure. It's louder, but not loud enough to be annoying, IMO. I can still hear the stereo fine, and even have a conversation with a passenger without yelling.
I'm thrilled with the few extra ponies it added. It redlines so much faster than before. I think I'm going to try running it at 8 or 9 PSI. Maybe I can get away with that without an IC. It runs a tad rich anyway, so that might be in my favor when I up the boost a bit, eh?

I opened an album and uploaded my pics here. The car is looking and driving pretty damn good, these days.
I didn't take any engine pics because it's basically stock, and my engine looks like hell, since I live on a dirt road. That kind of sucks, but when I move out of here one day, I'll get it all shined up too.
Attached Thumbnails 3" Exhaust-pipe01.jpg   3" Exhaust-pipe02.jpg  

Last edited by SloppyGoat; 07-08-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:39 AM

Location: I'm located in the more southern local... Jackson, MS.
Well, my exhaust finally rusted out, so I had a decent fab shop run 3" aluminum anodized pipe.
Uh... I hope you mean Aluminized piping. Or else you're in for a big *** melt down.

It's not. What are you talking about? How the hell do you expect it to be bent? If you saw it more clearly, you could see that there is no real significant taper in the bends.
Calm down, you sound like a 16 yr old ricer... getting all defensive about your junk. It's just an exhaust system and muffler....

I'm not going to the track, man. Like I said, it's just a daily driver.
Is your car turbo? If its not turbo, what the hell do you need a three inch exhaust pipe for? Especially if it's just your dd...

Are you trying to mimic the sound of a race car, but fall very short of the performance aspect?
Old 07-10-2009, 06:08 AM

"Aluminum anodized," when talking about exhaust pipes, means steel coated with aluminum (to protect from rust), of course. I figured that would be too obvious to have to point it out. Now, if I had said anodized aluminum, then that would be different, wouldn't it? I'm unemployed and can't afford much, due to severe back problems at the moment, so I can't go all out and buy stainless or anything.
Of course it's a turbo, otherwise there would be no point. It is my daily driver right now, but I don't plan on keeping it that way, if I can find a shitbox to drive in the winter. And as stated, I plan to put down around 300HP to the wheels, even if it remains my daily driver. (I may change that number in the future, but for now, with my f*cked up back and financial issues, I figured I'd set a reasonable goal.)

The pipe was rusted out. I figured, if I'm going to replace it, why not do it right and let the turbo breathe? I got it done for about the same as it would cost to replace the stock pipe...maybe less.

Originally Posted by Velox ZX
Calm down, you sound like a 16 yr old ricer... getting all defensive about your junk. It's just an exhaust system and muffler....
That's why I got defensive. I was thinking, "It's just a f*cking exhaust pipe, for f*cks sake, and this guy has to go and put down the bends?! WTF?!"

Yeah, I guess I do tend to get defensive at times. I'm used to being attacked by 16 yr old, ricer mentality idiots at 300zxclub.

No, I'm not trying to mimic the sound of a f*cking race car. It's quite the opposite. I'm trying to keep it as quiet as possible, and still increase performance. Getting a bigger pipe has already made quite a noticeable difference, and I haven't even played with the turbo yet.

Last edited by SloppyGoat; 07-10-2009 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:29 AM
The Evil Twin

His car is a turbo and his exhaust is fine. Stop making this forum look like zcar.com
Old 07-14-2009, 03:34 PM

Yeah zcar.com is full of trolls, too. It's hard to find a good Z forum these days. They're full of angry, grease monkey, neocon tweakers, or something. LOL

Last edited by SloppyGoat; 07-14-2009 at 03:41 PM.