300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

What to do...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:49 AM

What to do...

I bought an 89 300z turbo from a buddy of mine a while back when he was in some financial trouble. It had no transmission but when it did it ran good. I told him i'd bring it to my house in the spring. Well the springs almost here now i have to figure on what to do with the thing. I'm a college student with no job, essentially no income and don't have the cash to buy a transmission for it. Tossing around the idea of selling as a whole or parting out but don't know if i could make any money off it or at least my money back.

This is more of a rant because i love the car, the body's good, the t tops are awesome, but don't have any cash to give it the attention it needs. Looking for opinions, would you guys sell, part, or hold on to it with the hopes of someday fixing? I know i don't have pics, but with a decent shaped body and no transmission how much could i realistically expect out of it either selling as a whole or parting out. Ideally i'd like to hold out til i had money for a tranny, but those are tough to come by around here. I searched car-part.com and found one for 249.99! about a hunderd miles away but who knows if it still exists.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:48 AM

Where do you live? How much did you pay for it? Can you afford to hang on to it for a while?

You can always make money parting it out, but if you really like the car, I would hold on to it and look for some odd job oppertunities and save money. Start searching junlyards with weekly call backs to see if anything new Z31's came in.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:24 AM

I live in western mass. I only paid 400 for the car. Regardless of if that was too much or not, i was helping a friend out so it was worth it anyway. I can always afford to hang out to my vehicles, i'm not hurting for money, but hurting for yard space. I have 2 70's f250's a 98 cherokee, a 92 wrangler and a 46 *****'s and none of them are driveable ha ha. so my collections growing. I've been trying to sell the fords get money for the ******, jeep and nissan. But no one seems to want em. ha ha