300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

new z31

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 11:49 AM

new z31

i just recently bought a z21 n/a and have beem wanting to do some things to her, what do you guys think the best/ first thing that should be done to a bone stock z31?
Old 01-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

Get your battery load tested. Be sure you have clean, tight corrosion free terminals on both ends of your battery cables. Be sure the ground (negative) cable goes to a bolt into the frame before going to the starter. grounding through the starter is not a reliable connection. Z's don't like low voltage. causes the electronics to act funny. it is possible to have enough amps to crank but not enough voltage to run the electronics. If you have one size fit all cheapo clamp on terminals they are a problem waiting to happen.

Clean the connectors for the maf or afm, ecu and tps. Deoxit by CAIG is probably the best connector cleaner on the market. spray with CorrosionX after cleaning and before putting together this will help prevent any further corrosion.

Replace outer tie rod ends, and ball joints. replace the bushings with poly (don't forget to lube them as directed unless you like squeaky things). New shocks. all those things will make you think you are driving a different car. doing them piece meal is a waste you won't see a great improvement until you do the complete job. Rear bushings nice too but more work and you won't notice as great an improvement. Rear shocks also because if the fronts are gone so are the rears. if car squats when you jump on the gas the rears are gone. If you have the electro adjustable shocks they are DEFINITELY GONE.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:16 PM

its got a new battery and cables that i put in, new distributor, plugs , plug wires, i actually did put a new MAF in it when i got it too with a new k&n filter, but thanks very much for the advice ill deffinately get alot of that done soon becase i had plans to do ball joints and tierods done.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:27 AM
Stupid Hurricanes...

welcome to the club throw some pics up.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

depends did you get an Interstate or save $5 at WalMart. BE SURE it grounds to the frame before going to the starter. Original cables had a square copper piece crimped to the ground line which bolted to the frame just behind the battery with an M8 bolt.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 PM

just put some pics up , and no i didnt go cheap, i bought an interstate, i dont want to go low end with this car so im doing it right.