300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

New to nissans!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:56 AM
The Good Twin

Because 2.5>2.0

RB20 is old school and puts out ~200hp. RB25 / RB26 is newer, puts out ~250-350hp.

So do you want to do a huge costly motor swap for a gain of just a few hp, or a gain of a lot?

RESEARCH my friend. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_RB_engine
Old 03-09-2009, 09:11 AM
im teh ghey

well i forgot where i saw this but i found a whole complete swap for 1300 bucks. and ive read that it dont take much to get it to 300 whp+. i dont know lol. RB25 and 26 is way too much money. and i know it takes some work to fit the new engine in the z31. so yea...
Old 03-09-2009, 09:19 AM
The Good Twin

So when you said this:
Originally Posted by Im 2 JDM
just until im satisfied i guess. willing to spend however much.

You didn't really mean it?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:23 AM
im teh ghey

i mean it. trust me. lol but i think the RB20 would still be a nice motor to work with. i just wanna be different.

ive seen a lot of video clips on youtube of 240s with RB20 swaps. some of them are putting down good numbers. and it seems to be running great.

you think i should just keep the V motor and fix that up?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:25 AM
The Good Twin

shhhh.... do you hear that? I can hear music... wait... It's saying:

Listen to your heart....

If you are dying to have an RB20... go forth my son, buy it!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Stupid Hurricanes...

lol wow. soon as you see rb or 2jz you think that way is better? you obvsiouly dont what the vg motor is about. but hey if you wanna join the fan boy group go ahead. i think the kid is dreaming to much and needs to set a realistic goal then you can dream of something big. you dont know what your goals are so your just grabbing what ever people feed you. please read b4 you ask. all the crap you want to know about is all on this new so called internet. i dont want to sound like an *** but it gets old when new guys come on and ask whats the best swap and how i get free hp. do us a favor and get some knowledge in your head before you make a big project. sorry im on my black jack II.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Über User

who in their right mind would have a 2.0 liter 6 cylinder? use an SR motor if you want a 2.0 in there, then you save alot of weight and have the same HP and imho better potential than an RB20.

also i gotta kinda agree with mat above me. you say money isnt an option then complain about the cost of a 25-26 RB (even though the 25 is not much more than a 20 the 20 is dirt cheap for a reason, no one wants it) and then as about the VG and idk what to really think anymore, if you just dream to big and cant make up your mind, or if your a kid and dream to big, bottom line haha, and cant afford it.

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 03-09-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:04 AM
im teh ghey

Originally Posted by 260zturbo
lol wow. soon as you see rb or 2jz you think that way is better? you obvsiouly dont what the vg motor is about. but hey if you wanna join the fan boy group go ahead. i think the kid is dreaming to much and needs to set a realistic goal then you can dream of something big. you dont know what your goals are so your just grabbing what ever people feed you. please read b4 you ask. all the crap you want to know about is all on this new so called internet. i dont want to sound like an *** but it gets old when new guys come on and ask whats the best swap and how i get free hp. do us a favor and get some knowledge in your head before you make a big project. sorry im on my black jack II.
well like the topic says.... im new at nissans. ive owned a honda all my life and now just trying out something new. and the goals ive set, i am able to achieve it. when i first bougt my 07 civic Si, i joined a 8thgencivic forums. i dreamed big and posted my goals in the forums and people bashed me for it saying i cant do it. well i did everything i wanted to do to it. its no big deal. just takes time i guess. and if i do set my mind on something, i will do it and finish it. im just asking people here what they think. doesn't mean im gonna do what they say. just trying to get an idea thats all.

and yes i dont know what VG motors are about. i never cared for nissans till now. so of course i dont know. and another thing. im not a kid. i may be young but i already started my career that i wanted to do and making very good money. so im a grown adult just like you.
so instead typing in pointless stuff that doesnt help anyone, try to help me out. after all, this is why there are forums right?

not trying to be an ***. just telling you like it is.

Last edited by Im 2 JDM; 03-09-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 AM
im teh ghey

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
who in their right mind would have a 2.0 liter 6 cylinder? use an SR motor if you want a 2.0 in there, then you save alot of weight and have the same HP and imho better potential than an RB20.

also i gotta kinda agree with mat above me. you say money isnt an option then complain about the cost of a 25-26 RB (even though the 25 is not much more than a 20 the 20 is dirt cheap for a reason, no one wants it) and then as about the VG and idk what to really think anymore, if you just dream to big and cant make up your mind, or if your a kid and dream to big, bottom line haha, and cant afford it.
im 21. to some of you i maybe a kid. and i do dream big. but i can accomplish it. so dont worry about that. anyways.....................

do you or anyone else know what VG motors are about?? good potential?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Über User

they are a strong motor, but the Z31 cam with the single cam VG30E and there isnt much aftermarket support for them and they are a SOHC design which isn't that efficient. its a good motor, but it isn't a power house motor. also, im 21 to, but still in college. everyone dreams big, btw, i just think you should put down your thoughts here as realistic as possible, nothing worse than posting "look at me im doing this" on a public forum and everyone watches you fail. and no one is flaming you, yet, we are just advising and as far as this topic goes we have given you all our opinions and advise, now you NEED to search ALOT for yourself and learn facts and base your views off those facts learned, not our car, its yours. but seriously, dont get an RB20, either an SR20 or an RB25/RB26. haha.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Ruff Ryder

cheap and powerfull.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Stupid Hurricanes...

dude everyone has differnt opinons. why we tell you to research. its like voting for a party u know nothing about. u jst see some dude on tv and go out and vote for him because he can text message on a phone. im 23 so no need to cry about it. wish you will come up with better questions. if u wanna get far in a career dont you study and understand. so pick up a book and make your own opinons. its kinda like asking whats the fastest color on a z red or blue. lol its pointless. engine wise if u dont know much about them then ur shooting urself in the foot doing a engine swap. why not get to know the car.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:37 PM
im teh ghey

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
they are a strong motor, but the Z31 cam with the single cam VG30E and there isnt much aftermarket support for them and they are a SOHC design which isn't that efficient. its a good motor, but it isn't a power house motor. also, im 21 to, but still in college. everyone dreams big, btw, i just think you should put down your thoughts here as realistic as possible, nothing worse than posting "look at me im doing this" on a public forum and everyone watches you fail. and no one is flaming you, yet, we are just advising and as far as this topic goes we have given you all our opinions and advise, now you NEED to search ALOT for yourself and learn facts and base your views off those facts learned, not our car, its yours. but seriously, dont get an RB20, either an SR20 or an RB25/RB26. haha.
are you talking about the motor in the 89 z31 turbo?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Über User

all Z31's have the same basic motor code. yours is a turbo SOHC so its a VG30ET, the non turbo Z31 is VG30E, the Z32 non turbo was DOHC so its a VG30DE and the Z32 turbo was a VG30DETT since it was twin turbo.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

http://vgpowered.com/forum/index.php
http://www.88hybrid.com/forum/index.php
http://www.vg30et.com/
http://www.az-zbum.com/

list goes on and on. Would love to see more sick z31s on the road. just try to in the right fame of mind.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:34 PM
im teh ghey

Originally Posted by 260zturbo
http://vgpowered.com/forum/index.php
http://www.88hybrid.com/forum/index.php
http://www.vg30et.com/
http://www.az-zbum.com/

list goes on and on. Would love to see more sick z31s on the road. just try to in the right fame of mind.
thanks for the links. anyone how Toshi's z31 looks like? im trying to make mine look somewhat like his. the wheels that i picked out is the same ones that he has. work wheels.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:36 PM

here is a picture of how i want my front end to look like...
i like that sleepy eye look, but im guessing you have to buy something for your headlamps to do that? i've seen some z31's with their headlamps go all the way up. but yea, im looking for that lip and also, whatever it is i need to buy for the headlamps to look like that in the picture.

lol.. the headlamps are just in there down position. nothing fancy there, they go up when turned on, or if you push the up/down button.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:39 PM
im teh ghey

oh...you cant buy anything for them to make it stay like that? even if the lights are on?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:46 PM

unplug the motors that lift them. that's what i did. i think i may be considered illegal in some cases but rules are ment to be broken right? lol
what year z are you buying again? i believe i missed that info
Old 03-11-2009, 05:02 PM
im teh ghey

Originally Posted by slydnz31
unplug the motors that lift them. that's what i did. i think i may be considered illegal in some cases but rules are ment to be broken right? lol
what year z are you buying again? i believe i missed that info
rules raelly are meant to be broken sometimes.

its a 1989 z31 turbo
Old 03-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Anally Challenged

rules raelly are meant to be broken sometimes.

its a 1989 z31 turbo
There is a blue (purple?...been a long time since my lights on when down phase) connection under the drivers side dash. Close by should be a black connection you can unplug. The lights will stay down when you turn them on but will still go up if you hit the brights. Ironically, the next question people ask is usually "how can I install HIDs"
You can get 350-400whp w/o changing any internals.
If you want to see how to really make some power and get your car to handle better, come over to z31p.com.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:11 PM

ah. the HID craze. not to down talk anyone but i went to a small meet with the ohio nissan guys and they were more worried about whether or not you had HIDs than your hp or amount of labor hours you spent building the car. z31p hasn't worked for me for the last couple days i keep getting a server error msg.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:07 AM
im teh ghey

whats so bad about HIDs?? i had HIDs on my Si....

oh and i tried to goto z31p and it didnt work for me.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:49 AM
Anally Challenged

Let's see, how do I explain the irony in wanting to modify your car in a way that decreases the illuminating ability of your headlights and then wanting to install brighter headlights. I think I'll pass.
I don't pay much attention to bodykit stuff but the spoiler looks like a TBO.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:52 PM
im teh ghey

hmm.... i like HID lights. look so coooool when you turn them on. lol

i cant wait till i get this car. ahhh

Quick Reply: New to nissans!