300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

is my vacuum tank broken?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 PM

is my vacuum tank broken?

I was getting ready to change out all of my vacuum hoses ('86 turbo), and realized that my vacuum tank is missing 1 nipple. Of the four connections, the second from the left (when facing the front of the tank) is just a hole with a raised portion around the outside. does the hose go inside, or is there supposed to be a nipple there.

I came inside and did a google image search and I'm having a hard time finding a picture with 4 hoses connected (3 on the tank, 1 next to the electrical connector. My question is; are there supposed to be 4 connections? The picture I was using for a reference, and have attached, clearly shows 4 hoses, but now I'm not so sure. Thanks for any assistance.
Attached Thumbnails is my vacuum tank broken?-ccvaclines.jpg  
Old 08-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

drill out the hole with 1/8 drill insert a piece of 1/8 bass tube. smear JB weld around to seal and fix the tube. did this on two vac tanks works great. Your colors are all wrong however original was white stripe to manifold marked M on the vactank. blue went to the heat control valve. solenoid valve looks like a button on top the vac tank plus got wires going to it. the cruise is larger. the critical one is the red stripe going to the cabin. also need a hose from the bottom to the vac pump. your vac pump should start when you turn the ignition to run. quit after the engine is running and you have vac on the manifol. the red stripe runs into the cabin to a tee which splits and runs to port and starboard. I found mine taped to the heater coil housing. got my brass tube at a good hardware store. some hobby/craft stores carry it. you can also buy on line but need to buy five sticks (sell it at the club meet). not terribl expensive but when you need it you need it. replace them all. usually the in cabin stuff is okay just need from the tee out to the vac tank thru the firewall to be all good. did mine now I got heat control and a/c. also notice high quality work bench surface indicating use for more than two days
Attached Thumbnails is my vacuum tank broken?-z31-vac-tank-vac-pmp.jpg   is my vacuum tank broken?-z31-vac-tank-top.jpg  

Last edited by rogerz; 08-13-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:59 PM

thanks so much for the info! i'll make notes of the corrections as well.

also, i noticed you're in mill creek. i'm in sammamish and was wondering if you've ever been to the z-car junkyard in snohomish? is it worth the drive to check it out?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by SwarthyOne
thanks so much for the info! i'll make notes of the corrections as well.

also, i noticed you're in mill creek. i'm in sammamish and was wondering if you've ever been to the z-car junkyard in snohomish? is it worth the drive to check it out?
Hi Guys, I'm in the NW, too. Do you have a phone # for the yard with all the Z's? I need some parts for my AE. It's a nice one already, tho.