300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

My $500 84' Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:15 AM

My $500 84' Turbo

Just thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself! I just picked up this z31 a few days ago.

The guy I got the car from was the second owner and has had the thing for the last 25 years. The thing hadn't moved from his garage in about 6 years and he couldn't get it to run. I guess he parked it for the winter and the battery had died by the next spring. He put a new battery in it but couldn't get it to start. A known "rotating" engine was my biggest concern--if the thing was seized then I wanted no part of the project. He also mentioned that there were a few electrical issues, like the dash lighting, to work through. I figured that I would probably be able to get the thing running and I know my way around electrical systems, so I paid him $500 for her and trailered it home.

I threw a battery in it, some fresh gas, and turned the key to see what was what. The seller was quite correct: the dash did not seem to work. Further, one of the head lights refused to flip-up, and the brake lights were on all the time. Just for fun, I cranked it just to make sure it did actually spin, and sure enough it did. I tried it again, listening to the speed it cranked at (for fear of a broken timing belt), and much to my surprise it gave a little cough. I fiddled with some of the vacuum lines and the distributor and was able to coax life into her! I got it to fire and idle very smoothly after only about 15 minutes.

I drove it around my subdivision, trying to diagnose any latent problems and to get a feel for what parts I ought to replace before winter. I've got to say, the thing is pretty quick for an older car. The turbo really spools up fast and the power is very linear. Quite a lot of torque too.

All in all, it doesn't even need much. I already removed the horrid, purpling tint from the windows and I also gave it a good interior cleaning. I've also sorted out most of the electrical issues with it already.

The big things I've noticed are:
-Rear struts or subframe bushings are blown out. Lots of clunking when going over bumps. I've ordered a KYB conversion kit and will be swapping all four shocks out for cheap non-adjustables.
-Radio does not turn on. If i press the volume button, I can hear relays click and the display lights up with AM 530, but then it clicks off immediately. I didn't see anything obviously wrong with it, but I'm stumped. I'll probably just put a modern radio in it and try to keep the bodysonic feature. Anyone have any insight to this?
-The compass and g-meter/mpg light up with the headlights, but there are no arrows at all nor any display on the g-meter. I'm stumped--all fuses look good.
-It fires right up, but it hesitates and stumbles when the car is cold. Probably needs a general tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, clean MAF, etc). Any other things to check?

As for my plans with the car, I intend to drive it this winter. I have a z33 that I don't drive in the snow, and I wanted something fun and rear-wheel drive for this coming winter. Here's the plans:

-Fix basic stuff mentioned above to get her road worthy
-Put the OEM z33 wheels on with snow tires
-Put some lipstick on the pig--clean up the rust, hit it with some POR15, and then either spraybomb the entire car, plastidip the car, or something along those lines
-Paint the black/chrome? mouldings and trim black with plastidip
-Remove catalytic converter and stock muffler--I want to hear that turbo
-Delete mirrors and add fender-mounted mirrors
-Fix the torn stitches in the seat and get a dash cover
-Mustang T5 short throw shifter
-Boost gauge and EBC
-Timing belt and water pump, for piece of mind

I also might get ambitious and try to fit a FMIC in her, or swap out to one of the other turbos that I have lying around...an HX-35 or T04E-50 would be more efficient.

Anyways, here are the pics. Thanks for reading!

(Aside, what is supposed to go here? Looks like crap)

Old 08-12-2013, 07:35 AM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver! And excellent find!

Originally Posted by mcge8241
or swap out to one of the other turbos that I have lying around...an HX-35 or T04E-50 would be more efficient.
Just remember that the motor mount is directly in front of the turbocharger. Installing a larger turbo usually requires some work around.

Make sure you check out:
ZBUM's New Nissan Z31 300ZX Homepage
REDZ31.NET

Last edited by NismoPick; 08-12-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:53 PM

Very cool Any car is a good car for 500 and you got a z. We got an 88 the other day for a set of wheels we got for 100$ haha. It barely ran ( blown head gasket definitely ) but we drove it up onto the trailer haha.

Can't wait to see your updates
Old 08-15-2013, 02:27 AM

Lucky. Wish that was all mine needed. Oh and on the headunit/radio. Due to the age of the car the wires may be frayed and deteriorating. If they aren't giving a good solid connection it will cause that. I have uber sounds system set up in my daily. Had a similar problem with the amp wires. Idiots that had installed the original amp did the wiring wrong (remote wire disconnected and ground not connected) causing it to fry a 4 channel 1100 watt memphis. I was NOT happy.
As for the other electrical issues. Headlight and what have you. I would suspect the same cause. If it were me I would go through and replace wiring. Its inexpensive when you know what you are doing and ponytails are pretty easy and cheap (depending on what they are for.)