300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Headlamp switch problem? One Hi, one low beam works...??!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:26 PM

Headlamp switch problem? One Hi, one low beam works...??!!

Hi all:
Brand new to the Z31 forums. Owned a '77 and an '83 previously and just picked up a fairly clean 1986 n/a this week, which is having a headlamp problem.

Because I was getting only the low beam from the passenger side and only the high beam from the driver's side, I figured I'd swap the headlamps left for right *FIRST* before buying two new headlamps, since both looked to be brand new (previous owner may have already done this excercise). Anyway, nothing changed...both bulbs appear to have both filaments intact, as now the bulb that had no high beam now has no low beam, and vice versa.

So, after doing a half-hour forum search for answers, I'm coming up completely empty handed, aside from a suggestion to check the headlamp switch. First, would anyone mind searching for a link to an FAQ or another forum post where it talks about the replacement/cleaning/refurbishment of the headlamp switch, and secondly, why the HELL would the switch have two separate contacts, one for the left and one for the right headlamp?? I vaguely remember a car I used to own (my '83 ZX?) having two separate circuits for the lamps on the l/h side of the car and one for the r/h side, though I'm not sure about that. What is the benefit of doing such a thing??

Thanks for any links you can provide.
Kevin
Old 08-08-2008, 05:34 PM

well.. 2 things you can try... 1st..take a meter or a test light and work your way from the switch to the light(or vs. versa) check main points; at the switch,relays,sockets. but id have to say check the switch first. .2nd take the switch off, take the back apart. dont break it!!(i did with mine) clean it well. the grease they used from the factory causes them to stick when theyre old. you will find a couple pins/rods that make contacts. scrap the ends. use dielectric grease through-out before reinstalling it all.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:21 PM

Sweet...thanks, Mike. Will do. I have an '88 parts car that I could probably strip the switch out of, however, that would require me to separate out two steering columns, evidently, in humid 100+ Farenheit temps in lovely Phoenix in the sun to do so. Not a lot of fun.

Thanks again!
Kevin
Old 08-12-2008, 01:56 AM

rite! i just realize your in az also! lol. hit me up on myspace r somethin. im still waiting for a switch to come from n.j. myself
Old 08-21-2008, 09:20 AM

It's the headlight switch. You can try cleaning it, but they tend to go out again before too long. Replacing it is usually the best solution.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:59 PM

I concur with AZ-Bum. I had the exact symtoms on my old 86t. I tried to repair the switch. It worked for about a month. That's when I decided to just bite the bullet and purchase a new switch from my local auto parts store. Yes, they do carry them for our cars. But, nothing is as good as getting one from the Nissan dealership. Only downfall is that you'll wind up paying much more for OEM parts.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:03 PM

Here a good video on how to clean it
Old 03-12-2014, 07:25 AM

Had the same issue on my car. It was the headlight switch however cleaning them did nothing.

I had to bend the prongs to make sure they made contact when i turned on the headlights
Old 03-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

on my 86T the light problem turned out to be the actual connectors to the light. I changed out three switches. finally decided they couldn't all be in the same failure mode. Changed out the connectors to the lights themselves and voila! problem solved. they were pretty ratty looking and 20+ years old. Not much of a deal to change the switch itself. remove steering wheel and trim. looking down at the white plastic yolk you will see some small brass colored screws. Obvious which ones hold the switch. remove and switch will slide out to your left. Might need some wiggling to get it out. New one available from courtesy 126 pesos. My advice try the simplest thing first. New connectors. Only six bolts to remove to get the whole assembly out and makes easier to work on the wiring. Addendum: just watched that vid on the switch. excellent.

Last edited by rogerz; 03-12-2014 at 10:25 AM.