300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Bad MAF causing a code 22?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:17 PM

Question Bad MAF causing a code 22?

For some reason I can't get rid of this code 22 (fuel pump circuit). I have checked everything according to the FSM, but to no avail. I have even reset the ECU. The code comes right back. It seems to me soneone said something (in another thread) about a MAF causing a code 22. Is that even possible? The car in question runs really rich but when you first start it it doesn't want to idle and after it warms up it is a little better but still not right. It has been tuned up as far as plugs, wires, rotor cap, and rotor button. Any help would be appreciated. I just don't know where to looks anymore. I have even took it to three mechanics. Who either didn't want to take the timeto really look at it or just said oh it needs a tune up. So no real help there. I really love this car but I can't have another 2000lb paper weight out in the front yard. Thanks in advance for any guidence on what direction to take on solving this issue. oh by the way it is an 1987 300zx 2+2 na

Last edited by irishdrunk; 06-16-2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: forgot to mention year of thecar and that is is non turbo
Old 06-17-2011, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by irishdrunk
For some reason I can't get rid of this code 22 (fuel pump circuit). I have checked everything according to the FSM, but to no avail. I have even reset the ECU. The code comes right back. It seems to me soneone said something (in another thread) about a MAF causing a code 22. Is that even possible? The car in question runs really rich but when you first start it it doesn't want to idle and after it warms up it is a little better but still not right. It has been tuned up as far as plugs, wires, rotor cap, and rotor button. Any help would be appreciated. I just don't know where to looks anymore. I have even took it to three mechanics. Who either didn't want to take the timeto really look at it or just said oh it needs a tune up. So no real help there. I really love this car but I can't have another 2000lb paper weight out in the front yard. Thanks in advance for any guidence on what direction to take on solving this issue. oh by the way it is an 1987 300zx 2+2 na
alright i just went thru this. does your fuel pump shut off after you turn the ignition on without starting the car after a few seconds? its supposed to. my car does not and its a bad ecu but it still runs great. 86 non turbo fyi. as far as the idle i have had my car for 11 years and it always idled ruff until i recently replaced my mass air. now it runs like new. another thing i came across is the wireing harness to the mass air fell against the exhaust manifold melting the data wire and the car would not rev past 2k rpm. i did get codes for ecu, mass air and fuel pump. check it out - i hope this helps!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Zmongrull
alright i just went thru this. does your fuel pump shut off after you turn the ignition on without starting the car after a few seconds? its supposed to. my car does not and its a bad ecu but it still runs great. 86 non turbo fyi. as far as the idle i have had my car for 11 years and it always idled ruff until i recently replaced my mass air. now it runs like new. another thing i came across is the wireing harness to the mass air fell against the exhaust manifold melting the data wire and the car would not rev past 2k rpm. i did get codes for ecu, mass air and fuel pump. check it out - i hope this helps!
P.S. check your vaccum lines
Old 06-17-2011, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Zmongrull
check vaccum too.