300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Air hoses, Evaporator Canister, and Battery Draw

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:40 PM

Air hoses, Evaporator Canister, and Battery Draw

Do i need to keep my Evap Can for smog? the bottom falls off and is held on via tape. i need to pass smog so this sketches me out.

between the evap can and the coolant resivoir, is a "A/C and Cruise "vacuum canister", and due to the previous owner, i no longer have cruise control, or A/C, so can this be removed?

I have a hose at the far back of the plenum (TB end, near center of plenum), goes and tied down toward the "vacuum can" and Evap. Can, but is not ocnnected, and vice-versa, i have lines from the "vac can" that go toward the ASCD area, and goes to nothing... would this be the vaccum line to the ASCD line? can i remove it?

basically, i just need a rundown on what does what, and what i need and dont need without the ACSD, and still pass smog.

Last edited by SoNotaMechanic; 02-13-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Did some more research
Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 AM

Battery Draw

It doesnt matter how long i drive the day before, the new battery will not hold a charge. i go to sleep and wake up and the car is absolutely dead.

this would technically be a general electric question, but i know nothing of mechanics nor electronics, but will an excess of useless wiring be the reason for a huge battery draw?
Old 02-13-2012, 02:48 PM

Has it always drawn ur battery like that? Might want to charge it and unplug the terminals and replug them in the morning. That way u know if the battery is losing a charge or if its ur car draining it.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:46 PM

THIS IS A TURBO MODEL BTW. im sorry, i forget thats important to mention.

Yes, that was the first thing i tried when i bought the new battery, after the first day i bought it the car wouldnt start, so thinking i had purchased a busted battery, i had it replaced, and the 2nd day same thing. so i had the place give me the first new battery back after being charged, and i drove the car around, and unplugged it, and the battery was fine the next day. very certain there is a draw.

also, there is a ghetto switch installed for the aftermarket radiator fan. its using a 15 amp fuse and the theft warning wire for power from the driver side fuse panel. could that be why? also what is the proper way to install a switch controlled fan?

The guy before me also put a 15 amp fuse where the 10amp audio fuse is. and the aftermarket stereo works, but there is no sound.

sorry this car is ghetto and strange, but i think i can save her even though im dumb... she runs and drives perfect, just need her to be ready for registration.