300ZX (Z31) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

Rotor Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 07:16 PM

Rotor Questions

Okay, so I've been driving for about a year in my Z and its about time I started thinking about doing some work on the brakes. As of now, my front brakes are starting to sweak a little bit on slower stops and I am pretty sure my rotors either need to be resurfaced or replaced. Since I am still learning alot about cars I would like to know if anyone could inform me about how to check if my rotors should be replaced or just worked on? As The rear rotors are pretty smooth but the front rotors feel a bit textured. How would I know there is enough rotor left to be resurfaced? what is the acceptable amount and how can I measure it? ...... really sorry about all these questions XD like i said i am still learning alot about cars. But please, if anyone can answer any of these it would help me greatly because being a student with a lousy job, I dont want to have to spend more moeny then I;d like, not that I am cheap, I'd like to learn as much about doing things on my own as opposed to having a mechanic do it for lots of $$$$
Thanks alot~~

(also; could anyone reccommend a replacement for my brake pads and estimate the cost, that would be awesome too heh) Thanks again~
Old 10-02-2005, 02:43 AM

a set of good aftermarket rotors are a good idea, not too pricey, easy to install, good fluid, z32 calipers, brake pads, the best brake pads i have ever used are endless. dont know if you have them in USA, but they are brilliant! and braided lines will see your zed pulling up on a 5 cent peice (quater coin same thing lol)

FOR BUDGET: aftermarket rotors, a good set of pads, and braided lines with some good fluid should make a substancial difference.

IMHO, z31 brakes are worthless. first time on the track in mine,and they faded after 1 and a half laps, i did a basic pad fluid braided line upgrade, and the difference is astonishing!
Old 10-03-2005, 08:22 PM

thanks... but would happen to know any kinds of prices?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:32 AM

im in australia, what i can get things for and what you can buy things for a huge differences, shopping around is the best advice i can give you.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by JDsmash
How would I know there is enough rotor left to be resurfaced? what is the acceptable amount and how can I measure it?~

When you take them to get resurfaced they will let you know.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by craZed
When you take them to get resurfaced they will let you know.
Ah, allright. I just thought there was a simple way to visually measure the thickness. Thanks a lot though.