300ZX (Z31) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

Brake Pads for the track

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 10:32 AM

Brake Pads for the track

What would be the best pads for a race car that sees the track only?

We have been trying a couple of different pads, and have the following results

Nissan - Awesome

KVR carbon fiber - total suck lasted 2 days very dusty

Auto zone - yea obviously suck

What have you guys had luck with?

thanks,
alex
Old 06-01-2004, 05:54 PM

You must of gotten bad brake pads. My KVR Carbon Fibre pads are great and I believe JohnZboy is using the same pads (both of us for race applications). If it's not for street applications then Carbon Kevlar would be good but they have to warm up to even work so the car wouldn't be a good street car and you would have to warm them before the race.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:30 PM
Distinquished Guest

Yup... KVR Carbon Fiber for me. They're rotor friendly, and the hotter they are, the better they work. I've had no premature wear issues, and the dust washes off. A extremely durable pad will kill rotors. I'd rather replace pads than rotors.

I'm not on the track excessively, maybe 3-4 times a year for two day events. Come nearer to boiling the fluid than wearing out a pad.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:17 PM

Yeah I picked Carbon Fibre over Carbon Kevlar because Carbon Fibre still works decently when cold but once they warm up they are amazing. I wanted street use to so Carbon Kevlar was a non-option.

How is the car going John? Hope it's going well.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Distinquished Guest

Originally Posted by James Hesson
How is the car going John? Hope it's going well.
It's going. The short block is together, oiled, and bagged. My attention, and $$$$ are now focused on the heads. A friend of a friend did a beauty of a port and polish job. He has a flow bench and tells me they're now flowing 16% more than before. My cams are back from Schnieder. I've still got to buy valves, springs, retainers, rockers, shafts and gaskets. I want to go with a set of adjustable cam gears, but, the dude at Schnieder said to set them up with NO over-lap. Hard to adjust past that.

When the heads are done and bolted down, then I get to deal with JWT, Certified Muffler, and, who knows who else will have parts I need.

This is taking forever, and costing a fortune. I think I'll be exchanging the engines by the end of the summer. I'm glad, at least, the car isn't down. My ol' n/a keeps on cruisin' along.

Thanx, for askin'....
Old 06-02-2004, 11:12 PM

Sounds good. I might just have to see it someday. I might be running around the tail of the dragon sometime and then next year I'll be at ZDAYZ since only 2 Z31s showed up (I couldn't make it). Hope it keeps coming this well I am about to start installation of the solid x-member mounts, LSD, Solid Diff mount, total polyurethane bushing kit, and a few other things I can't think of off the top of my head. Hope to see your car someday.