300ZX (Z31) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

84 300ZX-T Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 04:49 PM

Unhappy 84 300ZX-T Brake Issues

Hello-

I have a rather strange situation to ask about; I recently acquired my 1984 300ZX Turbo, and when I bought it (for only $850, got a sweet deal), the brakes were hardly responding at all (grinding noises made it seem like the pads needed replacement). So I picked up some new brake pads for front and rear (both disc), and some high-quality brake fluid, and proceeded to change out the old pads for the new. This being my first brake job, I enlisted the help of my roommate, who has done this many times, and jacked up the rear driver's side wheel first, changed the pads, cleaned/re-greased some of the moving parts, and then attempted to bleed the brake fluid by unscrewing the bleed valve. However, when I went to pump the brake pedal and let the fluid drain, only a few drops came out. We tried the pump, hold, release method, and several other variations of pedal pressure, but nothing seemed to get any fluid out. There was resistance in the pedal, but it remained constant even when pumped several times. Puzzled, I checked the level of brake fluid under the hood and it was all the way to the fill line. So, it doesn't appear to be a leak in the brake fluid, or the level would be lower. I suspect there is a clog somewhere, or that I need a new part of some sort. Does anyone have an idea of what might cause this, or what might solve it? New master or slave cylinder? Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Old 05-05-2005, 10:36 PM

dont take my word on this...it sounds like a clog...but problem is it may not be...lol...good enough...jking...check off the master cylinder there are a 4 aluminum lines ( i think aluminum) coming off the master check to make sure there are no kinks in these lines..ive seen this happen before...to tell ya the truth im not really sure theres a way to test the master cyliner...besides like disconnecting the lines pushing on the pedal and seeing if fluid comes out of the lines..the question may be did your buddy there bleed the system before forcing the piston back into the caliper...this MAY....MAYMAYMAY CAUSE A DAMAGE TO THE MASTER CYLINDER...eeeeks...so that may be a good way to check the master cylinder by pumping the brake with those lines disconnected...this way you can see if the amster cylinder is busted...other wise there are quite a few other parts involved in the braking system..sorta...(caliper piston lines rotor pads mast. cyl. slave cyl. some cars brake booster. proportioning vlave...all of which need to be checked in this case...i may take it to a trustworthy brakes shop...good luck