300ZX (Z31) Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.

GLL factory stereo in GL, PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:17 AM

GLL factory stereo in GL, PLEASE HELP

I have finally found, after searching and searching, a working factory stereo for my 1986 GL 300ZX. It is out of a 1986 GLL, I'm aware that the GLL had an external speaker amplifier beneath the passengers seat, while the GL had an integrated amplifier. Is there any way that I could make the GLL stereo work in my car? I plugged it in and everything works except no sound. I know there are these round hookups on the back of the stereo that go to the amp and eventually to the speakers. What I was thinking was that, if I could get the plugs which go into the back of the stereo, could I tie those wires into my factory harness where the speakers usually plug in? I understand the signal wouldn't be as strong as it would be if I had the amplifier, but would that work? If I can find an amp, what do I tie it into to make it have power, the fuse box?
Thanks for your help guys!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

download the fsm and look at the schematic. find the wires you need and solder them to what you have. if you can't read a schematic I suggest you abondon this project.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:39 PM

I know how to read a schematic, solder and know how to do a lot with electronics. My background in electronics has lead me to think that perhaps the output of the head unit itself will not be very powerful, something like 10 watts because there's no internal amp.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:22 AM

Why in the world do you want to use a piece of 25 year old technology? Why not upgrade to a new stereo?

You would need a whole car body wiring harness and a whole bunch of crap from a parts car to make it work properly. And it would still be 25 year old garbage.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:20 AM

Upgrade the sound

My original stereo worked great, but sounded terrible. The 1st upgrade I did was install a new stereo and speakers. Crutchfields sells a cover plate and a kit with all the connectors needed to simply plug into the old radio connections, no cutting, so re-installing the stock radio is very easy.

Compared to the stock system its a world of difference, and the convenience of blue tooth and iPod connectivity is wonderful. I used 6 1/2 component Polks in the doors and shock towers. I build a sub enclosure that fits in the small area opposite the spare tire. Saw one on eBay and copied the idea. I need to recover it in a color closer to my interior, but it works great.
Attached Thumbnails GLL factory stereo in GL, PLEASE HELP-box.jpg   GLL factory stereo in GL, PLEASE HELP-radio.jpg  
Old 01-07-2012, 03:04 PM

Thanks PredatorZ, what a great idea for the subwoofer enclosure. Ya I got into it today and it's going to be too much of a project for the stupid factory one. I'll probably end up putting an aftermarket in it. I'll check out crutchfield, thanks guys!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 AM

zcrazy13 do you still have the 86 GLL radio? Would you be willing to part with it if you are going aftermarket? Let me know as i'd be very interested in taking this off your hands for a good price if you weren't going to use it

Thanks
Tyler
Old 05-22-2012, 11:15 AM

86 GLL installing aftermarket radio

After owning two Z32's and a second generation Z31, I bought my first Z31 on Saturday. An 86 GLL package. Owned by an 80 year old man for the last 23 years, it has 155K but only moved 3K in the last 6 years. He had to put a new battery in it before I could drive it away and when I got in to test drive it, the radio had a steady "530" in the display. I pushed in the on button and went to change it to fm and set it and the display went out. He said the radio had not worked in some time. Bitching Betty is not coming on either. I really want to put in an aftermarket cd player with an mp3 plug. I went to Mobile One Stereo here in town and they can get the faceplate kit but not the harness. The car has an amplifier. My question is what harness to buy to assure they can hook up the amplifier. Both the counterman and installer were knowledgeable about the car. And how do I dodge Bitching Betty from coming back on.

Debbie