280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Windshield installed....Not (long Post)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:15 AM

Windshield installed....Not (long Post)

Well after spending 10hrs or more cleaning up and painting my window frame and spending $65 on new trim mounting strips and clips. I set up with a window guy to come put in my windshield.....

First thing he tells me when he gets there is that instead of $150 he quoted me on the phone it will be more like $175 and that it was the glass suppliers fault for miss quoting him. Then after looking at the car he tells me he can not put in the window with out glue showing after the install. So I ask him if the trim will cover the glue and he said probably not that the cars window design is bad and you get what you get. He then said he can use a urethane primer to create a black border around the perimeter of the glass that will hide the glue that is forced out, like new cars have. So he then tapes off a half inch boarder with masking tape and starts to apply this primmer with a piece of paper towel as he is out of the normal applicator. He slops it on and then pulls up the tape and as he does so it pulls up the edge of what is to be the border with it. So this border that is to hide the uneven glue looks like a kindergartner painted it on free hand. So I think he is going to start over but he continues to get things together to install the window just like that. So I ask him if it is possible to make the border straight and looking a little more professional. He starts to give me attitude about how with this style of window you get what you get. So I told him politely to put the window back in his van and that I would call him when I figure out what I want to do, that maybe when he gets the right applicator to install a better border that we can try again if it looks decent. He then blows up on me saying I owe him $90 for the window and that I am too picky and that if I am so picky I should just buy the window form him and install it myself. I really was nice with the guy and have no idea why he was so put off by me not wanting to install a half @$$ border.

Was I wrong and there is no way to do a good windshield install on these cars? Does there always have to be glue showing or a half @$$ saw blade looking sloped on boarder? After putting this much time and money into doing this install right I have a hard time just taking this guy for his word on this one. Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by lts70; 05-21-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:28 AM
The Good Twin

Get a new glass guy. Hopefully you didn't pay him anything. I would have said about 10 colorful words and something along the lines of "Come back when you know how to install a windshield properly".

I had mine done by Diamond Glass (I think) and it's great. Though I haven't put the trim back on because I haven't painted my car...
Old 05-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

I had my done by a local shop and they did a VERY nice job, no glue exposed and I didnt even have the right window clips or anything, jsut the trim.

Get a new glass shop ASAP
Old 05-21-2009, 10:06 AM

I did not pay him a dime and he did zero work on my car. I thought he was smoking something. He said he has been doing windows for 30 years, I guess practice does not make perfect. He called me complaining about how he had to order in the window and now he will have to through it away and lose $90 because of me. I did not even tell him I did not want him to complete the job and he is already singing that tune. I feel bad for the guy but not to the tune of $175. I guess i could buy the windshield from him if he gave it to me for cost but how would i know what that is. And I would not know how to put it in myself anyway. Now if it was a 1970 Chevy truck I have done those but that is a completely different system. Do you guys have the black boarder?
Old 05-21-2009, 10:24 AM
The Good Twin

He has to throw it away?! Ha! Like he's going to throw away a brand new windshield. What a moron.

You could totally install it yourself. All you need is a tube of window urethane which can be bought at any auto body supply warehouse for like $15.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm a Registered User!

Wow..... That was the worst story I've heard about a windshield, ever. Hell, I've done windshields myself with better accuracy than this a**hole it sounds like.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:32 PM

Yeah...the guy sounds like a idiot.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Dunkin' Donutz

The guy sounds like he was on acid or something