280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Why I removed my headlight covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 07:42 AM

Why I removed my headlight covers

I put on the headlight covers a few months ago and they looked really cool, went on easily, and then issues popped up. The overall quality of the units was good and I went with the adhesive attachment......so happy I did, too. First, with temperature differences from garage to outside, they would fog up for 10-12 hours. Next, bugs would get in, die and clutter the headlight channel bottom looking less-than-ideal. Then, the one time I got caught in the rain, enough water got in past the rubber seals to mess things up. Lastly, and most importantly, when I checked to remove bugs one time, four of the foam adhesive pads were giving way causing looseness which made me nervous for safety reasons should one fly off at hwy speeds.

looks good w some aerodynamics and sleekness, but had the aforementioned problems

looks fine.....lost some aerodynamics and sleekness, but problems disappeared.

So I carefully removed them. Had I drilled into the channel, perhaps the brackets would have remained more solid, but the other issues would have remained and I would have had holes permanently a part of the vehicle. So.....if you decide to go w these, do try the adhesive mounting and if no fogging, bugs, or water issues arise, then perhaps drill into the channel and more firmly attach the brackets. I am SO glad I don’t have eight holes to deal with and now she looks more original anyway. Just thought I’d share my thoughts regarding these as I did like the appearance and all. Btw....in removing the adhesive pads w brackets, slow and easy gradual pulling/working loose from one end to the other worked well with WD40 being used to remove any adhesive residue left over.

Last edited by bgarthe; 05-18-2021 at 07:52 AM.