280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

When it came time, i couldnt do it

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 01:30 PM

When it came time, i couldnt do it

i was gonna sell my 280zxt, but i just couldnt do it. i love the damn car even though it has its issues.

so, when i turn the key on, my back 3 injectors start buzzing alot, like a constant buzzing, and behind the dash, i think either the ignition relay or fuel pump relay is clicking really bad, like moving clicking.

all of this would not let me start the car, so i got it on a battery charger and my friend tapped the jump leads a couple imes and it cranked over and started, but even when started i could feel the back 3 injectors stil firing alot and it was running extremely rich, it was blowing alot of smoke through the exhaust. so we took it for a spin and the turbo still spooled good, but it would cut out a little bit when i hit boost.

i checked my fusible links, and they seem fine, but the 2 wires from the positive terminal seem a little loose when they go to the bottom of the fusible link box. could this be a culprit? should i replace the fuel pump and ignition relay? the car ran perfectly fine until this started happening, it is frustrating. could a low battery cause this, casue the battery is really junky, i do need a new one, and alt. i did use the search button, i promise so please dont tell me to search, i have been searching this past hour ha ha, waiting on laundry

any help is much appreciated, TIA guys, im glad i kept my zx
Old 02-15-2010, 03:18 PM
w0rld's l0ngest m0t0rswap

Originally Posted by casperzxt
i was gonna sell my 280zxt, but i just couldnt do it. i love the damn car even though it has its issues.

so, when i turn the key on, my back 3 injectors start buzzing alot, like a constant buzzing, and behind the dash, i think either the ignition relay or fuel pump relay is clicking really bad, like moving clicking.

all of this would not let me start the car, so i got it on a battery charger and my friend tapped the jump leads a couple imes and it cranked over and started, but even when started i could feel the back 3 injectors stil firing alot and it was running extremely rich, it was blowing alot of smoke through the exhaust. so we took it for a spin and the turbo still spooled good, but it would cut out a little bit when i hit boost.

i checked my fusible links, and they seem fine, but the 2 wires from the positive terminal seem a little loose when they go to the bottom of the fusible link box. could this be a culprit? should i replace the fuel pump and ignition relay? the car ran perfectly fine until this started happening, it is frustrating. could a low battery cause this, casue the battery is really junky, i do need a new one, and alt. i did use the search button, i promise so please dont tell me to search, i have been searching this past hour ha ha, waiting on laundry

any help is much appreciated, TIA guys, im glad i kept my zx
if your injectors are buzzing and relays are normally functioning, maybe you should check your ECU for any crossed paths or broken solders?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:25 PM

ya, its just the back 3 for some odd reason, dont the injectors fire front 3 back 3 front 3? i thought i read that in a thread somewhere.

the ecu plugs feel a little loose and wiggly, but all the wires are in the plugs pretty good.

as far as i can tell there is nothing crossed, but should my relays be clicking and moving that bad? i kn ow some relays do that but i havent seen them do it that bad.

my buddy and i are gonna work and mess around with the injector wires tomorrow, we might re wire the fusible links, and maybe but a new relay. the car came with a used relat in the center console, and the car did come from a junk yard so maybe the PO was having this issue and said eff it and got rid of the car.

Side note: my friend is doing a 350 swap into his 280z, would his 4spd tranny and rear end bolt up just fine to my turbo zx? i thought i read somewhere that they kept the drive line the same through the z and zx, and i could get rid of my automatic that way, he is also giving my the clutch master cylinder and slave, and peddle, but i doubt those will work, or will they???

TIA guys
Old 02-15-2010, 10:25 PM

wow sorry for some spelling, i am tired ha ha
Old 02-16-2010, 12:11 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Transmission and differential from his car will fit your car, but his drive shaft and peddles won't. What year is your ZXT? Depending on the year, your automatic may have a shorter rear end which is the one you want for acceleration, but it'll hurt your fuel mileage.