280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

what would do THIS???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 07:14 PM

what would do THIS???

Ok, ya'll know I've been having some issues. So, tonight, after tightening the alt. belt and tightening that "T" shaped plug to the back, it seemed to run even worse. Starts fine, idles fine, then *BAM*, idle goes to crap and smells rich. Sometimes when I'm driving and it does this, it won't take any throttle for a bit, but then if I let up a bit, it will straighten out and be fine for a bit. So tonight, I start it and let it go to crap (3 minutes tops), to look spark from a possible short somewhere I can see it. NADA, but then I take off the cover for the ECU, and when I tap the side of this, it idles up, then back down. Checked for loose connections down there, but none seem to be found. I have unplugged the ECU and plugged it back in, also. Where are the lights I keep hearing about on those things?? Didn't take it all the way out, but didn't see any lights, either...

I believe my AFM is fine. It's the one Fairlady rebuilt. I've cleaned connections all over and still nothing. My alt. is still warranteed, so I may have to take that down tomorrow and check it out...

Give it some thought, guys. This car is my bread and butter.

Thanks

Carl
Old 02-06-2007, 07:58 PM

The fact that if you tap on the ECU and stuff changes is a bad sign, that could mean that your ECU is shorting internally. Is your car fuel injected or carbuerated. Also what to you mean your idle goes to crap. Does it drop, flucuate, or stall just give a little more info.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:01 PM

Basically it bogs down to a low, rough idle, but then picks back up randomly. It's FI..

Carl
Old 02-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Taste My Rainbow

if u need it i have a spare ecu from a 79.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:40 PM

Hmm, my parts '82 ZX still has its ECU intact, If that's what you need.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Über User

ECU= fuel injected lol.... if you know a carb'd car with an ecu id want to meet this person

but yeah tapping the ECU hmm... that would point to the ECu or a connection.. you can try cleaning all the connections... no vacume leaks right? check all that... then try ECU... i though AFM originally but if its a rebuilt one, probably not....
Old 02-06-2007, 08:49 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
ECU= fuel injected lol.... if you know a carb'd car with an ecu id want to meet this person
Not to get off topic... but there were plenty of cars in the 80's w/ a carb & ecu. The Nissan Sentra being one of them.

Carl, were you able to get a spare ecu from WildmaN? I don't remember if you said that in your other thread about this prob ( which we could still be posting in that one so we don't repeat ourselves. ).
Old 02-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Über User

no ****.... what the hell would a carb'd car use an ECU for... i learnded

*** hole... make me look liek a dick will yah lol... jk jk
Old 02-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Taste My Rainbow

^^^ thats not hard to do.... oh snap...
Old 02-06-2007, 10:48 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by skittle
^^^ thats not hard to do.... oh snap...
Oh double snap!
Old 02-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Über User

its not hard to make any one look like anything.. but any who... you still never explained why a carb'd car would have use of an ECU... what it does....
Old 02-07-2007, 06:12 AM
The Good Twin

you still never explained why a carb'd car would have use of an ECU... what it does....
Same thing a fuel injected ecu does... fuel management. Controls the fuel flow / delivery, monitors a/f ratio, can control timing, detonation, etc etc etc....
Old 02-07-2007, 06:56 AM

Noob, skittle, PM me with some costs just in case for the ECUs. WildmaN is pretty much using his ECUs, so I didn't want to pester him about it. Taking the alt. in today and see if they'll just swap it, being that they could test it, but it's sperattic, so they may just not see if theres a problem, if there is any there to begin with. Battery has been not charging fully for a little while now. Its a new Duralast Gold. Well actually about a year old now, I guess. No vacuum leaks that I can detect. I guess the ign. switch could be an issue also. I do have a problem putting on the lower cover on the drivers side, cause that make the car not even turn over, so somethings loose under there also. Just haven't been able to pin point it...

Thanks guys

PS: I have seen cars with carbs AND injectors, so yeah, there could be a carb'd car with an ECU. Just not an '82 ZX...
Old 02-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Taste My Rainbow

hmmm yeah i'll see what it weighs when i go out to my car today around noon vegas time.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:21 AM
Über User

how the hell do you manage fuel on carbuerators???? they manage it them selves when you tune them using the needles... THE NEEDLES!!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 04:26 PM
NisTuner

It may not be your ECU and may infact be your ignition. My car kept doing similar things, it would run bad then all of a sudden run alright for a bit and be very sporadic. We'd be knocking on the AFM and at times it would even out. We though it was the AFM and then finally it turned out to be the Ignition Module, once that was replaced I had to reset the ignition timing because with the new one the timing was way off. Finally after all of that the car started to run alot better. Pretty much normal.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:48 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Sounds like a GM ign. module conversion may be in the making here...
Old 02-07-2007, 10:00 PM

Ok, after twelve hours of hunting, here's what I found out ; Warranteed out my alt. thanks to Autozone. Not the problem. Found the two wires from the ignition hanging from a thread a piece, fixed (jimmyed), not the problem. Started messing with the ECU. Took it apart and checked out all the billions of solder joints. Not the problem. Started to "wiggle" the ECU harness connector, PROBLEM!! I finally got it to run mostly right by tweaking that thing kinda sideways, until I took it for a drive into town (crappy streets, lotsa potholes), and it finally started again. Gonna go in tomorrow and tighten all the connectors (what? 20-30??), and see what that does. I'm still wanting the parts that have been PM'd to me, but I am basically looking at doing something with the ECU harness. Brought my ALT to Autozone and got a new one without question or testing, though. That was cool.

*ADVICE*: Take the harness off your ECU and put a bead of dialectric compound along the rubber seal!!! Never know, eh?!

Carl

PS: Thanks for all the responses, guys! Ya'll ROCK!!

Last edited by Carl's Z; 02-07-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:46 AM

Carl. My batt don't fully charge either. I am runin a Duralast also. I run a very bigg 800 cold crank one too.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by FubarI33t
Carl. My batt don't fully charge either. I am runin a Duralast also. I run a very bigg 800 cold crank one too.
Yeah, that's the one I got, too. But if I check it with a meter, it's at around 12v, so all's good...

Ok, guys, I need those ECU quotes REALLY QUICK!! Like yesterday! PM me...

Carl
Old 02-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Taste My Rainbow

Got Ya Check Your Pm
Old 02-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Euro Z King

Location: Utrecht The Netherlands where owning a car is a CRIME!!
they are not pure carbs.. they are carbed injection .. sort of mono point .. instead of a jet they use a single injector .. citroen does it allot.. and i have seen plenty of 80's us fords with them .. with a huge 500cc orso injector
Old 02-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Big Poppa

time for a gm alt swap fub!
Old 02-10-2007, 08:30 AM

you went from:

if you know a carb'd car with an ecu id want to meet this person

TO:

how the hell do you manage fuel on carbuerators???? they manage it them selves when you tune them using the needles... THE NEEDLES!!!!+
characters like you keep this site on idle..they carrying only ballast.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:54 AM
Über User

yeah...... wow god forbid i didnt know there was a car thats both carb'd and has an ecu.... end of the world... im a huge character now huh? you dont even know me. last time i checked forums were for learning and such... aparently its a crime and im dragging down the site for doing so...

i edited my swears.... dont wanna bring myself down

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 02-10-2007 at 08:57 AM.