280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

West Coast Z Nationals - 2006

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 11:19 AM
The Evil Twin

West Coast Z Nationals - 2006

Hey, lets talk about the Motosport Auto show in California this year.

I'm really really hoping to make it. I have my vacation request in now... all that I need is a good running 280ZX by the middle of April. ...and a little extra money to make the trip there and back.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Doesn't post much...

I'll be there! I can't wait. It's no secret in my household that I pretty much plan my whole year around the MSA show. Last year was a big dissapointment for me. I spent so much time, money and did so much hard work on my 280ZX only to have a rear wheel bearing disintegrate on the way there. I wound up cruising to the show in my PT Cruiser! That won't happen again this year.

Rod.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:32 AM
The Evil Twin

rear wheel bearing? hmmm....
now, I remember regreasing the fronts a year ago. I thought the rear had a different type of setup.... as in no bearing. Or is it just a replaceable bearing only, not able to be greased? You know what would really suck is if something like that happens to me in the middle of northern California. One day's drive from home, one day's drive from the show...
Old 02-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Doesn't post much...

The rear actually has an inner and an outer bearing and they are stupid expensive. I had actually replaced them less than a year before that. I think my extreme negative rear camber and wide wheels/tires just ate them up. I'm still working on a solution to the camber issue. Now that it's been almost another year, I'm worried about it happening again. I actually have spares now. It could conceivably be done on the side of the road, but it's not a very easy job and requires a few tools that I don't much feel like lugging around with me everywhere I go. I see "Camber Plates" for 510's and 280ZX's for sale on ebay all the time, but they don't specify front or rear. I guess I should try asking the sellers huh?

Rod.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:04 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Bleach
Hey, lets talk about the Motosport Auto show in California this year.

I'm really really hoping to make it. I have my vacation request in now... all that I need is a good running 280ZX by the middle of April. ...and a little extra money to make the trip there and back.

Yeah, I'm gunna try to be there (with or w/o the Z) this year. Last time I went was in 2002... Since then I've had college finals right around that weekend.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Yeah, I'm gunna try to be there (with or w/o the Z) this year. Last time I went was in 2002... Since then I've had college finals right around that weekend.
School Schmool... Get your priorities straight man!

Rod.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:43 PM

ill defienitly be there! I missed last year it was my girlfriends sorority formal. ODDLY ITS THE SAME EXACT DAY/WEEKEND THIS YEAR AS MSA AGIAN!!!

I TOLD HER SORRY BUT I HAVE TO GO TO MSA....!
Old 02-16-2006, 02:16 PM
The Evil Twin

Have you tried slotting your a-arms to correct toe and camber?
I've got big wide wheels and tires, but they are zero offset to there shouldn't be any change to the stress on the hub. Only 245 width tires. That's not all that much wider than the normal 225's people use on Z-cars all the time.

I'm pretty sure camber plates are for the front. 510's and the 280ZX have the same strut angle and connection on the front struts. On the rear, they both use trailing a-arms but the 510 has separate shocks/springs. The ZX uses the shock inside the spring so they mount in completely different areas. The 510 more closeley resmebles a z31 rear suspension.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Doesn't post much...

My rear camber issue is all becaue it is lowered. I could fix it really easily by restoring it to stock ride height, but that sh*T$ is Whack yo! I figured the camber plates were for the front. Surprisingly, I don't have any problem with front camber or caster at all. I put bump steer spacers in and the front geometry is good... Go figure.

Rod.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:24 PM
The Good Twin

This spring I am going to use a spare 280zx rear suspension I have to alter the camber. That way, if I screw up, it's not a big deal.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Bleach is my Hero

I will make it for sure.. If I have to quit work to finish my Z
Old 02-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Big Poppa

Ill Try To Go Next Year And Bring Some Canada To The Party. This Years Out, No Vacation Time And Its Not Like Its A Short Drive. 22 Hours Straight Tends To Wear On You.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:35 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by NismoPick
This spring I am going to use a spare 280zx rear suspension I have to alter the camber. That way, if I screw up, it's not a big deal.
Me too! I've already got the whole rear suspension out too. You and I are twins, Mr. Pick. 2+2 turbos and all.... ok, well I've got a little work to do before the turbo is in

I'm taking a full week off work. Wed 26th - Tues May 2nd. Two full days to drive each way. That way I only have to drive about 10-12 hours each day. wow, that's still a lot. I tried a couple years ago to go straight through all day and night and I just couldn't do it. had to stop at about 18 hours of driving on the first day.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Doesn't post much...

The turbo should cut your drive time down a little bit...

Rod.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:18 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
The turbo should cut your drive time down a little bit...

Rod.
There's an incentive! K Bleach... get er done!
Old 02-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

bleach.. when you get the the Bay area... why dont we try to get a carvan together with all the bay area guys to drive down together...
Old 02-16-2006, 09:30 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

I was gunna sugest the same thing. And if you break down in NorCal, you got some peoples here who can help.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:21 PM

I wanna go
Old 02-16-2006, 10:55 PM
Externally Wastegated

I'll be there, dunno if it's gonna be in the Z or not since it'll be back to stock engine wise due to the good ol' Cal emission crap.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

Originally Posted by lifegrddude
I'll be there, dunno if it's gonna be in the Z or not since it'll be back to stock engine wise due to the good ol' Cal emission crap.

too bad your not up here in the bay area.. cuz i know some people that knows some people that can pass your car....
Old 02-16-2006, 11:39 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by icice9
bleach.. when you get the the Bay area... why dont we try to get a carvan together with all the bay area guys to drive down together...
That would be sweet. Do you have any idea what your schedule is for the week?
It looks like I could make it a goal to reach Sacramento by the end of the first day (Wed) and stay somewhere there overnight. Then we could caravan on Thursday down to LA to stay (or in that area)
That way Friday morning we're already there.... unless you had another idea.

Any idea on what you might have planned for a schedule?
Old 02-17-2006, 07:18 AM
The Evil Twin

so I took a closer look at the schedule for this 3 day event, and it doesn't look like there's anything I want to do there on Friday...

So were you guys thinking of going just for the show on Sunday or are you going to the autocross, 'sale' or dinner on Saturday?
Old 02-17-2006, 08:00 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Bleach
So were you guys thinking of going just for the show on Sunday or are you going to the autocross, 'sale' or dinner on Saturday?
I'm leaving SLC prolly Saturday morning. Roll into LA that evening, get a hotel & hit up the show Sunday morning. Thas my plan.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Super Siver & Black Stud

i was thinking of leaving the bay area friday morning but that can still change.. if we leave friday morning we can get to LA before it hits "FRIDAY RUSH HOUR TRAFIC" and you dont want to be caught up in that.... i remember one time it took me like 2 hours to get from glendale to anahem...
Old 02-17-2006, 09:01 AM
The Evil Twin

alright that sounds good, ice. so if I'm in the bay area Thursday morning, are you guys going to let me hang out with you? of course, maybe you work that day... but anyone who's not working, I'll be around.

I'd be fine with heading south starting Friday morning. Maybe we can all stay in the same area for the weekend. We'll have a mini Z meet in the hotel parking lot. I'm not at all familar with the area, so if you have a suggestion on where to stay I'm listening.

I'm not planning to be in the autocross but I would like to see it.. or at least part of it. I want to check out the Motorsport Garage Sale too on Saturday.

So do you guys with less than perfect Z's still put your car in the show? I'm thinking I will, rust chips and all.

Quick Reply: West Coast Z Nationals - 2006