280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Turbo Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 12:01 PM

Turbo Rebuild

I found a Holset Hy35w for sale for real cheap that looked to be in decent shape. As you might know this is my 1st car so Im not real familiar with all the parts that make a turbo. The problem is the ad says, "Main shaft had damage it was removed, bearings will need replaced"

I know these are new turbos so rebuilding them is probably expensive. My question is by the time everything is done about how much is this going to cost me? Just wanna make sure Im getting a good deal here

Thanks in advance
Rob
Old 04-27-2006, 12:33 PM
The Good Twin

How much are they asking? And do you know what the compressor map looks like? I just googled it... looks like they come on old school Volvos? Anyway, depending on the size of the wheel, & how it mounts up (if this is going on the 280zx) it might or might not be worth it.

I got my turbo rebuilt for $200 from a local turbo shop.... then upgraded to a T3/T4 Hybrid for another $170.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:07 PM

Nismo,
Thanks for the help.

The turbo I was talking about is for sale on Ebay for a buy it now of $50, just search HY35

The HY35 is of 2001-2002 cummins automatic trucks. Im not sure if you ever stop by HybridZ but a lot of people have been using these turbos lately. One guy I think is running high 11's with one with a kinda mild setup.

The shaft is unrepairable so what Im worried about is since these turbos are so new its gunna cost a lot of money to get a new one. And if that kind of damage was done I would imagine the rest of the turbo can't be in great shape.

But if anyone is looking for one, its still a decent deal.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:56 PM

If the shaft is damaged then I'd pass on that one. Especially if one or both of the housing and/or the center sections was damaged in the process. That can get pricey real quick like. I'd source out a T3 and take Nismopicks route: convert to a T3/T4 and replace the bearings and what not while you're at it.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:57 PM

but how do u rebuild a turbo ? what bolts to take off etc ? the reason why im asking is becuase iv noticed alot of motor oil coming from my turbine.. i was told by z race car dirvers on the track that a little bit is nothing to worrk about .. but i am worried... nismopick can u help me out send me a link on how to etc ? i want to upgrande my turbo like u did too...
Old 04-27-2006, 05:03 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by nismo619
but how do u rebuild a turbo ? what bolts to take off etc ? the reason why im asking is becuase iv noticed alot of motor oil coming from my turbine.. i was told by z race car dirvers on the track that a little bit is nothing to worrk about .. but i am worried... nismopick can u help me out send me a link on how to etc ? i want to upgrande my turbo like u did too...
Rebuilding a turbo isn't too hard, but it must be done with PRECISION. If you don't know what you're doing, I would suggest not doing it yourself. I opt'd to have a shop do it, as they had the parts & tools handy... and I would have a nice WARRANTEE.

Also, not being sarcastic... but ya do know how to use www.google.com right? There's a lot of info that can be found just by typing in "how to rebuild a turbo." Such as this (which took me 5 seconds to find):

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/turborebuild.html
Old 04-27-2006, 05:03 PM

It's not difficult to do the rebuild yourself. But if you dont like paying attention to detail then DONT do it yourself. And a kit only runs about a $100. That's basically the bearings, seals and all new bolts. But if there is any damage to anything else then it's a no-go on the rebuild. Leaking oil is probably just a bad seal. If the bearings are still good then you can save some money and just replace the seals. But if you've got any fore/aft shaft play I'd suggest replacing the bearings too.

http://www.saabperformanceparts.com/item107.htm

EDIT: ^ Beat me to it ^
Old 04-27-2006, 05:31 PM

It's not difficult to do the rebuild yourself. But if you dont like paying attention to detail then DONT do it yourself. And a kit only runs about a $100. That's basically the bearings, seals and all new bolts. But if there is any damage to anything else then it's a no-go on the rebuild. Leaking oil is probably just a bad seal. If the bearings are still good then you can save some money and just replace the seals. But if you've got any fore/aft shaft play I'd suggest replacing the bearings too.

http://www.saabperformanceparts.com/item107.htm

thats the best information ive heard u explaned it just right that it went into my brain and computed.. thanks !! im gonna buy new seals .. i will check to see if the berings are ok at the same time... " i have faith inmyself " and i can be able to rebuild my own turbo... ill let yall know when i start it..
Old 04-27-2006, 07:53 PM

Your best friend when dissasembling a used turbo is some good penetrant spray. NOT WD-40. Get something that actually works like PB Blaster. Other wise you'll be snapping bolts left and right. If you dont have a torch or an impact driver then be very careful disassembling the turbo.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:09 PM

Ok i have completey took apart my turbo.. rusted bolts and all.. had to break out the dremel for some of the bolts.. i have looked at the stock 280zx turbo and i have been looking on ebay.. if i was to buy a t-04e turbo with the 5 bolt exhaust side then resure the stock 5 bolt pattern on the stock 280zx turbo this should line up just right ? nismopick how did u do it ? also it looks like the fins on my turbo are chiped pretty bad.. anybody thoughts on HOW TO ? would help me out a little bit...
Old 04-27-2006, 10:14 PM

Be very leary when buying a turbo off of ebay. If it's a used one you can't be sure of the extent of it's wear and or damage. With new ones, if the price is to good to be true, then it usually is. Even if they say it's not. They'll try to sell you a brand new turbo for $300.00 with a money back guarantee and then when it takes a **** a week after you install it they'll chalk it up to abuse and you're stuck with a paperweight. Find somewhere that rebuilds turbos. They'll most likely have the parts you need to convert yours to a T3/T4. You could just buy a new T3/T4 type turbo from a reputable company also And when looking for a T4, it's only the compressor side you need to worry about. The housing and the wheel. On the exhaust side you'd want to keep your T3 housing and wheel to keep your response. Plus it will still bolt up to your exhaust manifold and downpipe.