280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

testing mbc?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 04:01 PM
NisTuner

testing mbc?

I wanted to see if there was a way to test the Manual Boost Controller I had before I tossed it on my car, so I hooked a vacuum line up to an air compressor and then a T to that so I had a line going to the boost controller and my vac/boost gauge. I was trying to put vaccum in it and monitor it, and like I got it to hold steady around 6psi or so, then once I started trying to increase it the reading on my gauge started randomly bouncing around to 10, and back. I don't know if this was just a problem with the gauge, or if this meant it was a good thing I didn't put it on my car.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Über User

NOPE!!!!! just start it out at full seal so its does stock boost then start to work up SLOWLY
Old 09-22-2008, 10:12 PM
The Good Twin

MBC FTL. and now you know why. They aren't too reliable. But, I made a cheapo one from a swamp cooler water valve... it worked good for a $2 unit. Like Snw said, ya gotta keep adjusting until it hits just right. Mine was almost closed before it became effective, which meant that the slightest twist would change the boost level.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:29 AM
NisTuner

I'm glad I tried this outside the car before I decided to mess with it in my car. I figured all it's doing is it's building up pressure to a certain point, so that's why I tried it with the air compressor and it would randomly just freak out. So with no pop-off valve on my Manifold it could start freaking out under full boost. I'm thinking maybe I should wait until I get an EBC, before I start upping the boost. Or I'll go to home depot and see if I can get a swamp cooler water valve.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 AM
The Evil Twin

Someone took the time to make a good 'home built' manual boost controller for pretty cheap. Is available online. If youre going to go manual, I would suggest this one. I've seen it on a few turbo Z's.

http://www.3barracing.com/product_6.htm
Old 09-23-2008, 04:52 PM
NisTuner

You guys have any personal preferences on electronic boost controllers? People like HKS, but then other people dislike HKS and like the GReddy. Some people like Fuzzy logic, some people don't. I can't seem to find a good answer. I was looking at getting an HKS EVCIII or IV, but then I've heard internal wastegates will cause issues with these boost controllers?
Old 09-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Über User

greddy is where its at
Old 09-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Externally Wastegated

I use a Greddy Profec B (older style). It's similar to the current Greddy Profec Spec S. It's easy to use and plumb, and took me about 35 minutes to install.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:12 PM
The Evil Twin

I just run a hose from the wastegate to under the dash. Pinch the line to keep boost up and release when its high enough.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:01 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ Works in a pinch.

I like my HKS EVC IV. No complaints. Stick w/ HKS & Greddy... Apexi comes in a distant third.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Über User

holy crap ^^^^ is that a picture of a dinosaur? its amazing!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:21 AM
NisTuner

Bleach is intense. Do you pinch the line with powerglove thats hooked up to the ECU so it can compensate for the extra boost?

Like you said Nismo of all the searching I've done, I barely find anyone recommending Apexi

On another note, I'm at just about 10psi. I've been slowly adjusting the MBC and everytime I did I'd very gradually add throttle and watch the boost gauge just so that way if it started to go higher than what I desired I could let off. Now I'm about ready to just try it flat out. I also went ahead and bought all new Bosch quick release injector connectors. I noticed the other day that the connector for my #2 injector is a little picky, that if you touch it just right it'll cause a problem. So I figured this would be a good time to upgrade that.

Last edited by duowing; 09-24-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:34 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
holy crap ^^^^ is that a picture of a dinosaur? its amazing!
Hi my name is Eric... I have a disease and they don't know what to call it.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Über User

lol not my fault you have the oldest boost controller known to man lol.... and the disease is called tuberculosis!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:14 AM

were do u go to buy the bosch quick conectors for the fuel injectors ? tell me tell me tell me now ! lol damn i have the same problem withg number 3 and number 6 fuel injector clips ! argh i have to pull over and adjust them until i hear the cars running right... argh what a pain in the **** !
Old 09-24-2008, 08:34 AM
The Good Twin

^^^ Where you buy any other basic Z car parts.

AutoZone / Checker / Kragen / NAPA / BDA / MSA / Courtesy Parts / Nissan

Those places.

Or (what I did) go to the junk yard and yank a fuel injector harness from a new 3.8L GM motor.

Last edited by NismoPick; 09-24-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:10 AM
NisTuner

I ordered 6 of them from RockAuto There were about $9 a piece. I just searched the Bosch part number. 1-287-013-003
Old 09-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Externally Wastegated

Becareful with the mbc. They tend to increase or decrease your peak boost depending on air density. Cold nights will have you running more boost, and hot summer days will have you running less on the same setting. That's part of the reason I went with an electronic boost controller.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:38 PM
The Evil Twin

cold nights = more boost + more dense air!

More power! ... as long as your fuel system can keep up
Old 09-24-2008, 05:18 PM
NisTuner

I noticed that already last night it was almost on 10psi, just a spec under, where it was a little lower today where it was warmer. I'm only using the mbc for now, and I make sure to keep a close eye on my boost. Since the car is my daily I rarely find myself going flat out, but even with the auto in 3rd gear when you stop it and you get that 9.5psi it really is a noticeable difference from the stock boost. I'm gonna bump it up just a little more so I can get it a little over 10 and leave it there. I'm watching some auctions on ebay for a electronic controller.

I'm thinking soon I'm gonna get me some bigger injectors. I know this has been covered as far as what fits the stock rail, but do the injectors from the mkIII supra, RX-7, etc fit with the stock injector holders? I never knew if it meant that it would fit that connector style or if it meant that you could use the stock holders and such. Just knew that they would work with our cars. Then eventually I need a bigger pump, oh and need to enlarge my stock exhaust...

Last edited by duowing; 09-24-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Externally Wastegated

Originally Posted by Bleach
cold nights = more boost + more dense air!

More power! ... as long as your fuel system can keep up
More power until you hear the "Pop!" and then the eerie silence.

Haha yeah, just figured I'd give a heads up on the darkside of a mbc.

Duowing, you can use Ford Mustang SVO/Thunderbird turbo coupe injectors if you mod the top, or use some DSM turbo eclipse injectors, or the ones I'm using, which are 440cc bosch injectors (I can't remember what the hell they're from though). I can give you the part number if you need it. The SVO/TB turbo coupe are 370cc, the DSM is 450cc, and RX-7 injectors are 495 or 550, or some really high number which you probably won't need until you start running 16+ psi on a daily basis.

You can get a Walbro fuel pump for pretty cheap these days. I got mine for about 95 bucks new.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:12 AM
The Evil Twin

exactly. Boost spikes are ok, as long as the spike is still within the capacity of your ECU, intercooler, and fuel supply.

If you can handle 12psi max, then the MBC should be set to 10psi at the most. word
unless you have the Power Glove. Everything else is child's play.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Externally Wastegated

PG for the win! Isn't that how that kid was all good at Rad Racer in The Wizard? "It's so bad."

If you want more help to stabilize your boost control, go external wastegate. Just be prepared to become good friends with your audiologist haha. When it opens, it's deafening.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:51 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ Tis a beautiful sound from the neighboring car though.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:56 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by lifegrddude
If you want more help to stabilize your boost control, go external wastegate. Just be prepared to become good friends with your audiologist haha. When it opens, it's deafening.
Is that external wastegate with open dump or is it that loud even if you pipe it back to the main exhaust further down?

Most times I've seen the external piped right back into the main exhaust flow.

Quick Reply: testing mbc?