280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Talking lady...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 10:11 AM
The Evil Twin

It says it about when your little guage reaches 1/8 thank. It'll say it once every 60 seconds or so untill you put more gas in.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:42 PM

talking lady

I have a 1983 datsun maxima and it is a talking lady. As far as I know that it is not a chip. it is a record, that's why you hear scratches in it. To hear the voices there is a thread on the max.org web
Cheers Brent
Old 01-23-2005, 05:23 PM

Where on maxima.org is this voice thread? I'd really enjoy hearing what my Z would sound like, should she ever get the vocal cords she should have had from the factory ...
Old 01-23-2005, 10:26 PM
The Evil Twin

Hmmm... maybe some day I can record mine and post it on my website. I didn't ever think to record that voice. Mine is still in good condition.
I used to have one of those Maxima's too. It sounded exactly the same... but there was one small difference in the words it said... like some new line or something. I totally forgot what that was at the moment.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:23 AM

So Fairlady and Maxine are sisters then?
Old 01-24-2005, 12:26 PM
The Evil Twin

Yup, they are sisters.

Ok, I think I remember it saying "Door is open" and not defining left or right doors because the Maxima is a 4-door.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:27 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by BleachZee
Yup, they are sisters.
Sisters but not twins. That's the first picture I've ever seen of the 'record'.

Interesting how they solved that problem back in the day when the IBM PC was still new and nearly $5000!! Voice synthesis was still several years away.

I suspect that each entry point on the outside of the disk for the needle corresponds to a different message.

Mine still works too.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:35 AM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by lww
Sisters but not twins.
Ya, no kidding. So many parts like the suspension and brakes look the same, but some are not exactly the same! The front brake pads are slightly smaller. Probably smaller calipers too. The rears might be the same.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by fenderbender02
DuckyZ: It is a tiny record that is controled by a computer chip. I believe the only way to customize the voice is to get a different record.
FastZ: yours probably sounds like that because the motor that turns the record is almost worn out or maybe the belt from the motor to the record is streched out.
I can take some pics later if anyone wants to see the guts without taking theirs apart.
I read your comments about the "talking lady". I have a 83 380zx & when I was driving it off the lot I forgot that the parking brake was on & when I reach about 5mph I heard this extremely sexey female voice say the brake was on. I don't plan to take it appart, but would appreciate any pictures you could email me.

Thanks
Dan BigE1@Austin.rr.com
Old 01-29-2005, 12:14 AM

my talking lady sounds great, but dosent always work along with some other things in my car. Like every once in a while she will come on and work consistantly then after driving around she stops along with other things (rear defog, cruse controll). Dose anyone know why this is happening?

Also could you just hook an alarm system through your talking lady box? It would make it alot simpler than runing all those wires to every sensor.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by mattduskater
my talking lady sounds great, but dosent always work along with some other things in my car. Like every once in a while she will come on and work consistantly then after driving around she stops along with other things (rear defog, cruse controll). Dose anyone know why this is happening?

Also could you just hook an alarm system through your talking lady box? It would make it alot simpler than runing all those wires to every sensor.
Those items you mention have components located under the seats. Perhaps something is wrong down there. However, I don't know what the point of connecting the alarm to the talking lady is though. She can only say stuff related to the input from the various sensors, none of which an alarm has to do with.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:32 PM
The Evil Twin

Hooking the alarm to the voice box will not do anything for setting off your alarm. If the car is off she will not tell you the door is open. A voltage sensor should do it. If your dome light comes on, then the alarm goes off. There is also a light for the hatch. The only place to put a sensor is the hood if you want one there.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:10 PM
Doesn't post much...

As for the Z and the Maxima being sisters... The '79-83 Z car was built on the same platform as the Datsun 810. As you know, the 810 was later re-named "Maxima". A lot of early Z purists don't like our generation car because of this fact. Many complain that because it shares it's underpinings with the larger/less sexy 810/Maxima, that it is not a true Z. Usually they bitch about the length of the car compared to earlier models. What they forget of course is that our generation car is a true GT car. Much more refined than it's older siblings, and will dramatically out-handle the shorter wheel based cars. Just like today's Infiniti G35 coupe will out-handle the 350Z.

Rod.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:42 PM

i STILL cant find the sounds !!!! I WANNA HEAR HER SEXY VOICE!!!
Old 01-31-2005, 08:14 AM
The Evil Twin

Its not THAT sexy. These guys are just in love with their car!
Old 05-17-2005, 09:37 PM

i have a talking lady in my car but all i can get her to say is that my lights are on she doesnt say my door is open or ebrake is on or anything else how would i go about fixing this are their seperate parts sensors for those parts of the car and does the haynes manual talk about it in it let me know i want to get here fully funtional again thanks
Old 05-17-2005, 10:00 PM

I Want That Lady God Damn It!!! Cmon!!!
Old 05-17-2005, 10:13 PM

you guys know that you could make your own "talking lady"? All you need to do is go to radio shack, and they have these special circuitboards that you can record your own voices. You'd need to know how to solder, as well as basic wiring principles. For example, you could program in a voice that says "hey dumbass, your door is open" and then wire it to the switch in the door jam that is pressed in when the door is closed. It'd be simple, and it'd be custom. It would work with any device that had some sort of a switch, but I'm not sure how you would be able to hook it up to tell you that your lights are on, unless you have a curteousy buzzer for the lights.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:22 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

anyone know a british woman with a sexy voice willing to say random phrases?
Old 05-17-2005, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by apollo
anyone know a british woman with a sexy voice willing to say random phrases?
yes please...and when i put the key in i want her to say "i love it when you put it in and turn me on"
Old 05-17-2005, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Skully
yes please...and when i put the key in i want her to say "i love it when you put it in and turn me on"
you could hook it up like you would your stereo deck, so that when it is turned to the acc position, it turns on and says that.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:35 PM

if you guys want me to, I could probably stop by radioshack and find a parts list to make your own lady, and maybe even explain how it works. I wouldn't be able to show you how to hook it up, since i don't have a 280ZX.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:41 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

yea, that would be pretty trick to have a custom talking lady. do it. and then get me the number to elizabeth hurley . . . .shes british, right?
Old 05-18-2005, 04:58 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Mine works great too. But I am trying to figure out why she only says "lights are on" How do I get the voice to do the "fuel is low" "brake is on" "door is open" etc.... ? Let me know because I would like her to tell me everything from the factory. That would be cool!
Old 05-18-2005, 06:16 AM
Bleach is my Hero

Am I the only one that has the lady that says "hello" when I start the car, and "goodbye" when I cut her off??? No one in town can figure this out..

Quick Reply: Talking lady...