280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

So, I got a new camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 05:56 AM

So, I got a new camshaft

I bought a new camshaft, valve springs and spring retainers for the engine head build up I'm about to take on.

It's not a stock camshaft; I got it from MSA, andthey call it the stage II.
I'm going to purchase everything else (rocker arms, lash pads, collet, seals, valves, etc, etc), but my question is: do I have to get 'special' rocker arms for this camshaft?

From RockAuto I found the rocker arms, and almost everything else, I need for the engine head project. These engine head parts, from RockAuto and even from AdvanceAuto, are stock replacement parts and I want to make sure these will work with the camshaft I got from MSA.

If these parts don't have to be 'special', then I can just order these parts and then take them, along with the engine head, to the machine shop and get this project going.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:58 AM

Just make sure your cam doesn't stack the springs up solid at high lift.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:17 AM

Stock rockers are fine (new or reconiditioned, don't just re-use them as they came off the car), it's the springs and lash caps you might have to mess with, like PFM said.

You can save some cash and have Delta recondition your original rocker arms ($50 or so with shipping). The bonus there is you know you're getting good, hardened, high quality rockers, and not a low-dollar third-party soft-metal knock-off. Down side is it'll take a week or two roundtrip.

I set up three more valves on mine last night (hey, I only get an hour or less a night to mess with it right now). Mine's a Web 94a regrind for an N47, which is basically an MSA stage I. My coils were nowhere near binding. Stage II might be more border-line, though? You'll have to test it to see.

And depending on what MSA's base circle is like, be prepared to mess with the lash caps when you do the wipe pattern tests, if you're doing this yourself (recommended, it's fun and saves money). Get a whole bunch of caps to to try out (1 of each thickness), or make shims out of metal stock to determine what thickness you need, and make sure you have a Dykem marker around (or a big, black marker). Local dealers seem to not have the caps, nor have any interest in getting them. Their loss. If your machinist did a good job with the straight-edge on your valve height, and if the cam is a good equal base-circle grind, then you should only need one size of lash cap. If that's not true, it just takes more time and a variety of caps.

With a three angle valve job, little if any surfacing necessary on the top and bottom of the head (didn't even need to shim the cam towers), and the 94a regrind, my stock lash caps produced a wipe pattern 0.5 mm off center toward the pivot (away from the valve). That's well within tolerance, so I'm going to give it a go (lash pads are easy to change later anyway). Who knows, you've got a more aggressive cam, maybe your machinist will have to take more off, etc.? Just be ready to mess with it some, and be patient.
good luck,
Dave