280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Should i get it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 08:25 PM

Should i get it?

I've always wanted a Z and i finally found one in my town. the guy is selling an 83 280zx turbo with t-tops for $1200. i cna probably bring it down. I'm 17 from the bay area. My parents don't want me to get it because they say that insurance for it will be hell and it won't be a good car for college when i go down to Socal. So my quetion for u guys is should i get it even with the circumstances.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:34 PM
The Good Twin

Deffinately check it out. Look for rust in the wheel wells, rockers, & floorboards. Also check the mileage... anything over 200k is starting to get worn out... which might mean a good project down the road (wink wink)

depending on your insurance... it shouldn't be too expensive to insure it (don't tell them it's a turbo unless they ask). As long as you don't have a bad driving record & just get the basic comp & collision, you should get a good rate. Hell... I'm 25 and pay $30 a month for my Z's insurance.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:58 PM

THe mileage is pretty low. 107k. it's an automatic withe the only rust i see is below the windshield. I haven't checked for bubbles yet.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Bleach is my Hero

I am 21 have 11Moving Violations and pay 95$ amonth.. (Yeah I know I shouldnt have a lisence)
Old 01-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Doesn't post much...

1200 sounds like a pretty good deal for a car with that low mileage. If you don't buy it, let me know so I can drive up there and snag it!!! Rod.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:24 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by s/cL3.0
I am 21 have 11Moving Violations and pay 95$ amonth.. (Yeah I know I shouldnt have a lisence)
11... ick! I thought my 102 in a 65 was bad!
Old 01-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Doesn't post much...

Lame, I'm 36 years old, I have been driving for over 18 years, I have owned many, many very fast cars and I drive as fast or faster than anyone I know... I have accumulated a total of exactly ZERO moving violations You have to A. Know how to speed and B. Know when to speed and C. Know what to say when you get caught Speeding. It's all in the attitude. Of course, "C" should be a rare occasion if you follow "A" and "B" . Rod.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:51 AM

I think you should buy it. If it turns out, that it is to big of a project, then you can sell it for as much as you can. Recover most or some of your $, and move on. I wish this state had more Z's. But unfortunantly this state appears to not have that many.

Off topic, I've accumaled a few tickets. And I've got out of a couple. I think it all has to do with the officer and what mood he is in. I've got a ticket for 5 over before. And I got a warning for 40 over, So it just depends on what that cop is feeling like. But drive safe, and be careful. I've lost 4 friends all ready to driving accidents.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:10 PM

my own little question

i found a '83 280ZX non-turbo that looks rather nice with all the options availible. however, if you look at the picture, there's a nice crinkle over the rear fender, and its unfortunately written off as a salvage title. it's only $2,000, is it still worthwhile to sill look at it even though of the salavge title and does that crinkle look repairable?

heres the link:

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...3/82117433.htm
Old 01-11-2006, 12:22 PM

Yeah if I had a ticket for everytime I've been pulled over than I probably wouldn't have a license. It's all about dealing with the cops. The only time I actually get tickets is when I'm just being stupid and get a ticket for doing something extreme like playing speed racer on the freeway Ah, the good ol days
Old 01-11-2006, 01:49 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
Lame, I'm 36 years old, I have been driving for over 18 years, I have owned many, many very fast cars and I drive as fast or faster than anyone I know... I have accumulated a total of exactly ZERO moving violations You have to A. Know how to speed and B. Know when to speed and C. Know what to say when you get caught Speeding. It's all in the attitude. Of course, "C" should be a rare occasion if you follow "A" and "B" . Rod.

lol... I used to say all that too... until I got caught by a cop hiding in a ditch and behind a barrier... laser is kinda hard to detect when it only hits you!

-also... you sayin you have talked your way out of a 100+ ticket? I've gotten away with 90... but that's pushin it
Old 01-11-2006, 01:52 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by moelll
i found a '83 280ZX non-turbo that looks rather nice with all the options availible. however, if you look at the picture, there's a nice crinkle over the rear fender, and its unfortunately written off as a salvage title. it's only $2,000, is it still worthwhile to sill look at it even though of the salavge title and does that crinkle look repairable?

heres the link:

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...3/82117433.htm
$2000 for a salvage title? LoL... I personally wouldn't pay more than $500 for it....
Old 01-11-2006, 02:17 PM

There is nothing wrong with a salvage title. If it's been registered with that title, then it's fine, other wise you will have to get it inspected, before registration. Try and talk the guy down some. Other wise if the car itself is worth the $ then buy it
Old 01-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by NismoPick
lol... I used to say all that too... until I got caught by a cop hiding in a ditch and behind a barrier... laser is kinda hard to detect when it only hits you!

-also... you sayin you have talked your way out of a 100+ ticket? I've gotten away with 90... but that's pushin it
I talked myself out of a 150+ ticket in my Porsche. True story. I had some ******* ride up on my bumper one night while cruising down the freeway at normal speeds. He was right on my bumper. I thought it was some psycho idiot. I moved over to let them pass, and they darted back in behind me. I sped up a litlle and they stayed right there so I got on it and accelerated up to about 155. At about 120 I started to increase the gap between usbut I couldn't tell what kind of car it was. At about 155 I realized the car that had been tailgating me had a light bar on top!!!! Oh My God! I thought I was screwed. for sure but I was really angry that a cop would do something so stupid. I pulled over and jumped out of my car screaming like a maniac at the guy. He was freaked out. I told him he could have killed me or someone else by driving on my bumper like that. I went off for a good two minutes (sure of the fact that I was going to jail) before I finally just shut up. The Cop then started to appologize for tailgating me. He said he understood why I was angry and why I did what I did. Turns out, he was a real PorscheFile and was simply checking out my car! He said the only reason he got so close was because he was trying to figure out what it was since it had no badges. After I told him it was a 930S, all he wanted was for me to open the deck lid so he could ogle at the motor! He also made sure to tell me how stunned he was at the speed I acheived. I told him that even at 155 there was plenty left, but I didn't want to find out how much. That is a 100% true story. I still can't beleive it after all this time. The guy could have nailed me to the wall if he wanted to be a dick. Rod.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:23 PM
The Good Twin

LoL... I think that's goin in my "all time favorite" experiences archive!
Old 01-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Big Poppa

I Know All The Cops In My Town, But Before I Did I Got Dinged Going 30km Over, Drifting The Corner And Having A Straght Pipe. I Only Got Ticketed For The Speeding. 187 Bucks Cdn.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:15 PM

If I Can Get Away !!! Lol

Well First Of All Buy Any Turbo Z Car For 1200 Dollars Period U Can Dump 2,000 Dollars Min Into It An U Got Your Self A Self Proclamed Import Racer =-) I Love My 280zx Turbo And Yea Sometimes I Do Speed But Damit Its Not My Fault Lol I Like It In Second Gear And To Hear The Turbo Spool Up Just Excites The Hell Out Of Me.. Next Thing I Know Im Going 55 Mph Oh **** Not Another Ticktet If Your Z Car Out Manuver And Can Accelerate Faster Than The Cop Car Well Chances Are U Might Get Away.. But Then Again. Dont Listen To Me Im Just Some 25 Year Old Guy With Speed Demon On My Shoulders Lol P.s. I Have Only A Few Tickets My Insurence On My 280zx Is Only 35 Dollars A Month.. Liability Only Thou... I Sure Did Wish I Could Get Full Coveredge Thou...anyways I Got Awsome Stories To Tell !!
Old 01-12-2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by nismo619
If Your Z Car Out Manuver And Can Accelerate Faster Than The Cop Car Well Chances Are U Might Get Away..
Dont try that in souther california. If you do manage to elude the overwhelming amount of county sheriff's deputies and local city cops you still have to deal with the CHP. Some of which actually attend driving school so you cant lose them Now if for some reason you manage to escape from them, and you're most likely on a crotch rocket if you do, then you've got to deal with the police helicopters. Now if, by some miracle, you manage to pull a Nic Cage and elude them as well, you'll NEVER get away from the dozens of news choppers .
Old 01-12-2006, 08:05 PM
The Good Twin

Don't you ever watch "WORLDS CRAZIEST POLICE VIDEOS" or even "COPS" ?

I think since they invented the RADIO, it's kinda hard to get away from the police.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:03 PM

nismopick i checked out your web site dude that was totaly krazy of u to do dougnuts in traffic ( u got serious ballz ) an best of all u didnt get a ticket ? wow props dude , next thing I use to LIVE IN EL-CAJON CALIFORNIA 92020 no joke an yes u are right about the police helicopterz ( ghetto birdz ) and yes in california u may not be able to get away ever ..... ummm my stock boost gauge is reading 6.5 psi its really RED LINING on the stock boost gauge i think my car is telling me to buy 3 things a manual boost controller a new boost gauge and a new Pop off valve.. any body got any used stuff for sale ?
Old 01-12-2006, 09:23 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by nismo619
nismopick i checked out your web site dude that was totaly krazy of u to do dougnuts in traffic ( u got serious ballz ) an best of all u didnt get a ticket ? wow props dude , next thing I use to LIVE IN EL-CAJON CALIFORNIA 92020 no joke an yes u are right about the police helicopterz ( ghetto birdz ) and yes in california u may not be able to get away ever ..... ummm my stock boost gauge is reading 6.5 psi its really RED LINING on the stock boost gauge i think my car is telling me to buy 3 things a manual boost controller a new boost gauge and a new Pop off valve.. any body got any used stuff for sale ?
I quick replied to ya here: https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16477
Old 01-12-2006, 11:12 PM

Not to sound old or conservative but, please don't run from the cops. It is not worth the risk. A friend of mine just put his 3000 GT VR4, back together. And he was speeding over a 100, saw a cop turn on the lights, so he said screw it and hit it harder. He lost control of the car, on a long sweeping turn and smacked into a couple signs and stuff. He broke his foot and leg, and totaled his car. After he just put about 5000 into it and a year of work. So he crashed the car, broke his leg, still got the speeding ticket, and was out of work for a month. And stopping and getting the ticket would have been alot cheaper and easier on him. And before some one thinks he couldn't drive, that is the problem, he can drive very well, that night it was really dusty and made the road just slick enough to make him spin. And spinning a AWD is very hard to do. I know the road where it happened, 1 of my favorites, long sweepers and 2 wide lanes, make for easy 100 mph or better driving. Late at night 0 traffic, it is just heaven. But here in the south west we have dust, and since the road is in the middle of no where, when the wind blows the dust flyes all over the place. It sucks when you are trying to grip
Old 01-13-2006, 12:03 AM

Around here if you want to get away from the Polis you had better be serious and damm quick. They will call off a chase if it reaches certain life endangering criteria, so either you go for it full on or don't bother. A bit like life really
Old 01-13-2006, 12:08 AM

Unless I just finished taking someones life (which I wouldn't do. Intentionally anyways) theres no way in hell I'd run from the cops. Whats the worst that happens. They right you a ticket or tow your car? If you run they're going to catch you and then you're going to do some time and your car is definitely going to get towed. The consequences are definitely not worth it.

To be honest though I have run twice. But both were, I considered, risk free. The first was after I got rolled by an invisible highway patrol in AZ. Atleast he was invisible til he jumped outta the ditch. He pulled me over and then wrote me a ticket for 95 in a 70 or 75(cant remember). A couple mile down the road I was back at it (I had to get cross country from CA) and I flew past another highway patrol. He jumped out with lights going but he got stuck behind a semi. I had started to slow then said screw it. I was only a few miles from New Mexico and figured if I could make it that far he'd let off. I don't know if he gave chase or not but I didn't see him again. The second time was in NE. I lived in a town that had only 2 cops, 1 sheriffs deputy, and the occasional trooper passing through. This town was so small that both cops had Sunday off and the sheriff was on call from his house on Sundays. Thats right, no law enforcement patroling. I passed the Sheriff going the opposite way in his late 80's suburban doint a buck in a 65. He flipped on his lights and turned his truck around. I tore down the highway and into town and made my way home. Never heard from him. Of course this was all years ago and I'd never do something like that anymore. I've got a family to worry about now
Old 01-13-2006, 02:23 AM

All I got to say is Whether you drive like a sane person or a maniac its your call. Just be ready to face up to the circumstances that develop. A get outa jail free card, a ticket or criminal court. Hind sight is 20/20. I remember doing stupid things when I was younger but immediately afterwards If anyone cared to ask I probably would have thought twice about doing it again.

What do you think? a guy that T boned another car while risk taking originaly thought that he was a bad driver? probably not, but afterwards everyone else did!

All comes down to...whats it worth to ya! Everyone calculates risk differently. Thats part of the reason why some of us are capable drivers and others just think they are.