280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Should I buy this 280ZX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Blue81z
as far as I know the car my friend is selling has not been repainted. It is the original paint.
as far as you know you know little bro, can you apply a Lil of common sense?
what so good to original when is evidence of DECADES of overexposure to elements?, once you close the door an take off what your eyes see until the next stop?
will this paint take you places?..other that your driveway? etc etc..yeah another good looking POS* (I blame nyquyil for this post) go get it, that is what you really want, a shinny shell ( cause it shines right?)

*price make the same item be either a POS or a great score.

Why I do have to log in every time to post?
Old 08-30-2007, 07:53 AM

Hey, so wat hoppened?

...Did u buy it?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:55 AM

I talked it over with some guys from work, and family, and everyone feels the car is worth $3000, absolute maximum. So i called him up and told him look. I've asked around for opinions, got suggestions from 280zx forums, they have seen the pictures etc. My offer is still $3000. I can show you what people have wrote and why they think it is only worth this much.

He said no, the lowest he will go is $4500 and thats only because he knows me. So no I will not buy his car. He is asking way too much for the shape it's in. I know this now thanks to you guys. I have not had a chance to see the other car yet to compare, but ill keep looking, find one with lower miles. I might even wait until spring. I hate to wait, I want one now lol, but in the end it will be for the best.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:02 AM
NisTuner

Give it a few months, and I bet the price will come down.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:10 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Yeah, when he gets no more calls for a few months and realizes it's just sitting in his driveway rusting away, if he's not too stubborn, he'll realize $3000 is better than NO thousand...
Old 08-30-2007, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by lww
Yeah, when he gets no more calls for a few months and realizes it's just sitting in his driveway rusting away, if he's not too stubborn, he'll realize $3000 is better than NO thousand...
normally I would agree with you. except.. when I told you him and his dad restored old cars.. well they collect them too. He lives on a massive lot and theres a barn that has been converted into a giant classic car garage. It has cuda's, fast back mustangs, 55 chev. impala. etc. about 22 cars. He also has 2 smaller garages, and another shop that has a car lift in it and more tools then a Midas. Then he has the house which by the way has its own private bridge to get to it. the driveway is almost 1/4 mile long.. and pulls up to a stupid massive house with its own mini lake.. lol.. i only went there the once and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. jealousy written all over my face.

so yes normally I would agree with you, but he has plenty of places to put this car to keep it safe, and enough money that he'll wait until he gets what he wants i suppose.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

normally I would agree with you. except.. when I told you him and his dad restored old cars.. well they collect them too. He lives on a massive lot and theres a barn that has been converted into a giant classic car garage. It has cuda's, fast back mustangs, 55 chev. impala. etc. about 22 cars. He also has 2 smaller garages, and another shop that has a car lift in it and more tools then a Midas. Then he has the house which by the way has its own private bridge to get to it. the driveway is almost 1/4 mile long.. and pulls up to a stupid massive house with its own mini lake.. lol.. i only went there the once and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. jealousy written all over my face.

so yes normally I would agree with you, but he has plenty of places to put this car to keep it safe, and enough money that he'll wait until he gets what he wants i suppose.
Tell him to quit being such a tightwad.

He sounds like he has a lot of money, he's just trying to rip you off.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Über User

yeah, tell him to stop being rich!!!

thats crazy, nicest garage ive ever been in was just a tiled heated floor one, nicest garage ive ever heard of was on that drove into the basement of the house, a large house though so you could fit like maybe 8 or mmore cars in.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:39 AM

My main problem with them is that they told you it had "original" new looking paint...the exterior with bondo can be easily repainted but it seems they missed the harder to paint areas inside the doors and elsewhere.

I have NEVER seen an almost flawless, original painted old car with rust inside the panels and extensive wear & tear in the interior with missing parts.
I HAVE seen cars with perfect ORIGINAL *INTERIORS* although exterior paint shows weather damage... its a hell of alot easier to protect the interior than the exterior.

In NY, we have cars parked on sidewalks for sale that look perfect... but there was news coverage that many of those cars have accident/mechanical issues, but local dealers or local shops simply repaint the outside which can be done very cheaply for a quick sale.

Check out this website of a quality restoration shop with their customer's cars...

http://www.classicresto.com/mambo/content/view/28/2/

http://www.classicresto.com/mambo/content/view/136/2/

***Btw, a big house doesn't mean they're honest... or not in debt.***

Last edited by 280gty; 08-31-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:43 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

That may be the case, but none of that shows in how he's taken care of that car. It's basically been neglected and beat on. How do you loose the 280ZX emblem on the front of the center console? Where the heck is the rear interior panel?

That car is just way too abused for the kind of money he's asking. Just my opinion.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by lww
That may be the case, but none of that shows in how he's taken care of that car. It's basically been neglected and beat on. How do you loose the 280ZX emblem on the front of the center console? Where the heck is the rear interior panel?

That car is just way too abused for the kind of money he's asking. Just my opinion.

apparently this is "how it was when he got it" he didn't fix it at all, he just drove it as a daily driver last summer. he also has a slammed air bagged sierra show truck and a 03 Tahoe that he drives. The Datsun was a summer car.

Here is a picture of his truck. Its pretty nice.

Last edited by Blue81z; 08-31-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:58 AM
The Good Twin

How much did he buy the Z for?
Old 08-31-2007, 11:59 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

ick...........
Old 08-31-2007, 02:49 PM
Über User

dude, truck people are lame... well those types that that are like "DUDE i gotta bag my truck and flame it out" it just doesnt make sense, its like de-tuning a sports car imo, a truck is meant to go over rough terrain and pull ****, then you go and make it lower than a car so it cant serve any of those purposes and then paint it homo-rific.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
How much did he buy the Z for?
I think about $8000? around there. I don't remember what he said.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:42 PM
Über User

well sucks for him. lol, yeah i would keep looking then, chances are if he was suckered into that he wont let it go for less then 5k, at least i wouldnt, thats if he is telling the truth.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:53 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Yeah, he WAY over-payed! Which is going to make him reluctant to let it go for much less, lest he admit he was suckered. Most people's ego's can't handle that kind of realization. Especially if they consider themselves an "expert" in the automotive field.

We'll keep our eyes out and Shady is a nearby resource for you too.

Good luck!

Cheers,
LWW