280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Respect.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Doesn't post much...

Wow, That honda sounds really cool. I'm sure the guys over at www.riceslurpingwinghavingturbospoolingionlygotthi scarbecuasemommyanddaddypaidforitsonowimgonnawaste somemoreoftheirmoneyfixingitup.com would really love to read about too.Rod.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:16 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

hmmm......
Old 09-22-2005, 06:23 PM
NisTuner

I understand what you mean, but alot of the people who actually put effort into tuning their hondas usually have something better than a civic, and even if it is a civic. You will know, they aren't the ones who roll up with a giant wing, and mind numbing bass and just try and raceeveryone. These people drive their cars more like normal human beings.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Doesn't post much...

I know what you're trying to say, but the problem we keep encountering is that this is a Z CAR forum, and honda's just don't happen to be Z cars. It's like going into a Yankee fan Forum and talking about how cool the Red Sox are. Or like going into a Ford Mustang Forum and talking about how great a Camaro is. It's like being invited to dinner by the President of the Coca Cola company... then ordering a Pepsi and lamenting how great Pepsi tastes with your dinner... capiche?

Rod.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:54 PM

I haven't found a honda that's beaten me here yet here in gering Nebraska. I'm the one always weaving in and out of traffic looking for races though. So far I've only been beaten once in my 300zx by a Trans Am WS6. Ya I know I'm a dumbass. I've beaten a **** load of cars though, but nobody believes how many I've beaten though. My 300zx has a K&N Cold air intake, pacesetter headers, APC racing muffler. I have a 600 dollar racing clutch I'm going to put in as soon as i can pay for a new clutch slave cylinder, stainless steel clutch hose and a new bearing for my transmission.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:55 PM

I'm still a little fuzzy on that one Rod, can you explain it a little better? Oh, and excellent link. Very informative. In fact, it was so informative I didn't even have to click on it. Reading it said it all
And you have got to be shittin' me, This is a Z car forum?!? Well it's no wonder everything I've been reading ain't making any sense

And just for the record, the Yankees are *******, I **** on Camaro's, and Coke wins the Pepsi Challenge

Long live the Z!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by pete8717
I haven't found a honda that's beaten me here yet here in gering Nebraska. I'm the one always weaving in and out of traffic looking for races though. So far I've only been beaten once in my 300zx by a Trans Am WS6. Ya I know I'm a dumbass. I've beaten a **** load of cars though, but nobody believes how many I've beaten though. My 300zx has a K&N Cold air intake, pacesetter headers, APC racing muffler. I have a 600 dollar racing clutch I'm going to put in as soon as i can pay for a new clutch slave cylinder, stainless steel clutch hose and a new bearing for my transmission.
Clutches aren't usually measured by thier price.
Rod, i know this is a Z car forum, I'll stop my honda praises, but lets face it...Z's are made to work on and then perform, Hondas are made to be economic high mileage family/young people cars. Some people just wish thier honda performed like a Z
Old 09-22-2005, 09:08 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by RubberBerner
but lets face it...Z's are made to work on and then perform, Hondas are made to be economic high mileage family/young people cars.
Because 280zx's are now ~25 years old... most ricer hondas... ~5 - 10 years old.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Doesn't post much...

Apple, meet Orange... Orange this is Apple.

Rod.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:41 PM

those of u in here who are into the civics as well as the Z's. kudos to you for the Z's but i mean. if you think about it.. uve got age of the 2 car types to compare. i have yet to find a civic to beat my stock 79 zx 2+2 i got raped by a new accord and a fairly new prelude. but if u think about wat a Z costs. roughly VS how much a pos honda cost, and put performance of both vehicles aginst eachother, and how much money u have to put into a honda to make it even close as good performing as a Z. u could spend the same amount of money on a Z and the honda wouldnt b able to touch it. so wat if a honda can pull 13's on a 1/4 mile. Z's arnt drag cars they are corning and performing cars. u take a Z VS a honda on a road course, or a track, the Z will own it with out even breakin a sweat. its not how much power the car has its how it performs and how well u can drive it. i have roughly i belive 140 hp. stock. on my car. i gave a mustang GT a run for its money on some back road one day wen he was goin as fast as he could and i came up on his *** like white on rice. and that car as well over 100 hp on mine.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:49 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
I know what you're trying to say, but the problem we keep encountering is that this is a Z CAR forum, and honda's just don't happen to be Z cars. It's like going into a Yankee fan Forum and talking about how cool the Red Sox are. Or like going into a Ford Mustang Forum and talking about how great a Camaro is. It's like being invited to dinner by the President of the Coca Cola company... then ordering a Pepsi and lamenting how great Pepsi tastes with your dinner... capiche?

Rod.
here, here!!!
on another note:
lww is a honda lover! look there is one on his sig!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 12:36 AM
Doesn't post much...

That's exactly right Therm. Who care's if you can dump 5K into a civic or an integra and have a quick 1/4 mile car. I don't. If I wanted a 1/4 mile car, it would probabaly be more like the black Charger Vin Diesel drove in the fast and the furious rather than any of the other riceed out turd-burgers in that movie (Minus the yellow Skyline of course). Front wheel drive is for grocery getters, not "performance cars". I'm sure if you put enough money into a 1989 Suzuki Swift with the 1.3 liter "Big Block" , you could make a damn quick little 1/4 mile car... but why would you want to? If you like Honda's, that's cool with me... some people like Yanni and John Tesh too... so what. I don't think you're gonna see either of them filling in for Fred Durst at a Limp Bizkit show anytime soon. It's the same thing... Apples to Oranges. I don't care how much money you spend on a civic, it's still a car that was born to be basic reliable transportation. The Z was born a sports car. Look at a 1983 Civic VS a 1983 280ZX and tell me you would even give the civic a second look. That 1983 280ZX Turbo was faster and quicker at the time than the same year Ferrari 308 or a base model Porsche 911. It had numbers that rivaled insanely expensive exotics of it's time. That has always been the Z thing. in 1970 the stock 240Z was way ballsier than a 1970 911. 35 years later, the 350Z is barely slower than all but the upper echelon of exotics and a handfull of fast pretenders with reliabilty or style shortcomings like the Z06 corvette and it's contemporaries. Will a stock 2006 civic Si even hold a candle to the 350Z in terms of overall performance? No way in Hell, and even if you did manage to make it "as quick" as the 350Z, it'll never outrun it or outhandle it or least of all... outlast it. A Civic is a good car, It's not a sports car... no matter how big of a turbo, or a body kit or stickers or 18" wheels and super sticky tires you throw at it. The untapped potential of the 280ZX is huge. Nearly all of the "sports cars" from it's era suffered from strict emmision laws and other obstacles that forced car companies to "nueter" their car's. The great thing is though, that the potential is already built into the car... you just have to unleash it. It was no slouch as it stood stock, but opening it up and letting it breath a little better and give it some more fuel... it's gonna flat out rape 85% of the car's on the road. You don't have to "Force" it to be fast. Plus, that old L28 is as close to indestuctable as any motor on the planet.

Rod.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:05 AM
Doesn't post much...

I just realized that I trapped myself... Somebody's gonna mention the Honda S2000 or NSX and call me out on the front wheel drive thing. Fact 1: The NSX is unGodly expensive, notoriously unreliable and twitchier than a cat with no claws in a room full of rottweilers. Fact 2: The S2000 is still slower stock than a 350Z and has to be kept at ridiculously high rpms just to stay in it's powerband. You feel like you've been rowing a boat after driving that thing for a while. It's also not nearly as fast as the Honda lovers want you to think they are, nor do they have the potential of the 350Z. Hell, I've broken off S2K's with my 280ZX and it's only mildly modified. It also can not outhandle the Z. Bottom line is that the Z has always offered the ultimate bang for the buck factor. Yes, you can buy a faster car, a quicker car, a better handling car, a more reliable car, or a less expensive car. You can't however buy a car that is all of the above at the same time. That has been true since the first 240Z landed on the docks in Long Beach 36 years ago and it's still true today. Now, I just realized also, that I need to just get a job writing ads and press releases for Nissan... They should be paying me big bucks for this stuff.

Rod.

P.S. By the way... Hey J, Coke is what people drink when there is no Pepsi.

Strike 1=Raiders fan
Strike 2=Likes Coke more than Pepsi
I hope Stike 3 doesn't turn out to be that we all find out you've been secretly hiding your neon green '00 Civic hatchback with red 17" wheels, giant wing and "Apexi" graphics all over it in your garage while making your Z withstand the harsh elements outside!!!

Last edited by RodMoyes; 09-23-2005 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:24 AM

If I wanted a 1/4 mile car, it would probabaly be more like the black Charger Vin Diesel drove in the fast and the furious...
THAT was a great car!!

Last edited by Carl's Z; 08-03-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:15 AM

I dont understand how a front wheel drive car can be a performance car. Its just a modern age horse and cart. The front wheels have so much stress on them from braking, turning and accelleration and give a false sence of stability in corners and I'm always afraid that when turning they're going to go strait. I love the FF layout! -_-! *sigh*
Old 09-23-2005, 05:16 AM

I'd gladly take that charger or have the same setup in a 71 barracuda
Old 09-23-2005, 08:27 AM

u guys keep talkin about that charger. i was in universal studios holywoot last year with my gurlfriend and i actualy got to sit in that charger, there was also the viel side rx-7 there and some nsx
Old 09-23-2005, 08:30 AM

I agree, Coke win's Pepsi. And camaro's suck. a camaro is a muscle car, Z's are sport car's. Red neck's think a camaro is a sport car. but it's not. And It's way harder to pull then push. there for front wheel car's are really no good. Like Fantagon said, way to much stress. If you look at any muscle car, or high performince car, there all rear wheel drive. most if the fastist car's in the world(stock) are mid engine rear wheel drive. I perfer a sport's car over a muscle car. I like to cruse, not jump off the line, rip out a rear end, and crash into a wall. Thats just not me. My red neck freind has a Firebird with a 454 supersport. If I want to cruse with power, he'll let me drive it. another downfall of muscle car's are, Gas. that explaines it's self. Don't get me wrong. I love muscle car's. If I could get my hands on a Daytona, I would get it. But If I had a choice from a 67 Mustang, and a 240Z I would go Z. A 240Z is way more rare then a 67.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

The NSX is unGodly expensive, notoriously unreliable and twitchier than a cat with no claws in a room full of rottweilers.
hahahahaha . . . i love it

what are you doing in the auto business? you should be writing a rant column for a paper with something kinda like . . .

"You know what really grinds my gears? " by Rod Moyes

Old 09-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Doesn't post much...

I was actually pretty proud of that line

Rod.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:54 PM

P.S. By the way... Hey J, Coke is what people drink when there is no Pepsi.

Strike 1=Raiders fan
Strike 2=Likes Coke more than Pepsi
I hope Stike 3 doesn't turn out to be that we all find out you've been secretly hiding your neon green '00 Civic hatchback with red 17" wheels, giant wing and "Apexi" graphics all over it in your garage while making your Z withstand the harsh elements outside!!!
Hey I'm a product of my environment. It's simple fact. The Pepsi cooler never keeps the Pepsi as cold as the Coke cooler. Honestly, I could give a **** which one I'm drinking. Hell, I'll drink Sam's Choice when the budget calls for it

And Rod, why would I put red wheels on my Civice? I much prefer the 22's I've got on there now And it's not "lime" Its "Mint" Oh and I thought the cat part was quite clever myself. You should be proud. And hey Strike one doesn't count. You only said that cause your a Chargers fan

FF was designed for one reason and one reason only. Economics. By removing the transmission/driveshaft tunnel you get more passenger room. By removing the driveshaft you get less powertrain loss. By turning the motor sideways (long, lat, whatever) you can decrease the overall length of the hood. All economical things.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:18 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by apollo
lww is a honda lover! look there is one on his sig!!!!!!!!!
Yes, but that one is my 38 mpg daily driver that was nearly shoehorned up your backside through the twisties in the Oakland hills if you recall...

And, Apollo, that pic is exclusively for you!

Where most ricer's blow it is the driving technique for a FWD car in the corners is completely different than a RWD.

some people like Yanni and John Tesh too...
I agree with everything Rod said except the Yanni and John Tesh part...
Old 09-25-2005, 10:17 AM

I agree with you completely...apples and oranges. I always find it funny when I read 'kill stories' that involve Accords and Civics......I'm sorry, but that's not a kill. In theory,....How can kill something when it's already dead? Most of these ricers are kids who have never driven anything that would be considered, so they really just don't know any better. They also believe all of the manfacturer's claims in regards to horsepower gains. They just don't know any better.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Doesn't post much...

What about the Yanni and John Tesh part lww? Do you really think thye could pull off filling in for Fred Durst? Or do you just really like them?

Rod.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:58 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

What about the Yanni and John Tesh part lww? Do you really think thye could pull off filling in for Fred Durst? Or do you just really like them?

Rod.
Ouch! No, I meant not everyone that drives a Honda might like Yanni and John Tesh!