280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

repressurize bumpershocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 05:07 PM

repressurize bumpershocks

so i let the pressure out of my front bumper shock cuz i was getting in the type two air dam, it was put on back order so i decided to get the type 3 when they release it. now i had to figure out how to put pressure back in the front bumper shocks, unlesss u can get the screw started and tighten it down in a 1/10 of a second then ur screwed.
im sure this wont be used much but for those that need to i hope it can help
(the fabrication of how to on my problem took me a bit of thinking)

so first things first, u need two pressure valve stems from diaphramed water tanks(got these at lowes)/ 1/8'' pipe tap/ type R drill (or an 11/32 will do) and a wrench or two

take the bumper off and drill your hole out with type R drill in the front of the bumper shock (dont go to deep not sure if there is a hydrolic bladder)

tap out your hole(with the 1/8 pipe tap u should make sure u dont go to deep the threads are tapered and it will self seat/seal itself)

insert air fitting and ur done/ not really

now on the bumper(pic two) drill out the center with a really big drill so the fitting will clear into the bumper

did this on my 83 280zx not sure what else this is applicable on
Attached Thumbnails repressurize bumpershocks-bumpershock1.jpg   repressurize bumpershocks-bumpershock-2.jpg  

Last edited by wake2wake21; 08-07-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:24 PM
The Good Twin

Wicked crazy (slash) genius!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:53 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Nice will be useful..when I get ready to mount mine here soon. Thanks man..for the pics and description.